• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
CritterKeeper

What Are You Listening To?

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Huh.  Shouldn't finding out something is older than I am make me feel young, not old?

How do I put this? I know exactly where, to with in a foot, plus or minus on July 20, 1969, at 20:18 UTC.   Also know where I was on both January 27, 1973 and  August 8, 1974.  As it happens the second place no longer exists, as in the house has been torn down. 

I only have very faint memories about Friday, November 22, 1963, just in case you think I'm a boomer.

I'm actually sort of an edge case on that, to some I'm a boomer, to others I'm Gen X.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

How do I put this? I know exactly where, to with in a foot, plus or minus on July 20, 1969, at 20:18 UTC.

I was up very, very late that night watching TV. In spite of only being three years old. Nothing could have kept me from watching that moment. I went to sleep soon after but it was really, truly magical for me.

I know exactly where {I was}, to with in a foot, plus or minus on July 20, 1969, at 20:18 UTC.

21 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I was up very, very late that night watching TV. In spite of only being three years old. Nothing could have kept me from watching that moment. I went to sleep soon after but it was really, truly magical for me.

From someone a bit older:

"It seems like only yesterday, perhaps at most the day before,
a child watched a TV set and listened to the Redstones roar.
I watched each second of that flight, and never did I think to leave.
Fifteen minutes, not so long - except when you forget to breathe."

10 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I was up very early 12 April 1981.  Made drawings of her on the launch pad from the angles they kept showing until launch.

I wasn't watching 28 Jan 1986, but I remember exactly where I was when we heard.

The whole of Blue Oyster Cult discography , on random play.   There are, out of their 300+ songs, a half dozen I don't like or actually hate.  Amazon just handed me 3 of them in a row.

Riding lawn mowers, weed whackers, power washers, power paint sprayers, carpentry work and weird mix of Oklahoma redneck and Hispanic.  It's a bit noisy outside right now.

I have just proved that I am a white male of a certain age with "a wide taste in music".  That's right, I just loaded Bob Marley and the Wailers "Legend" back onto my music playing device.

This should also be in the annoying thread.

Mexican rap.
And painters singing along.
And I use the term singing in the very broadest possible way.  I don't know if lack of skill and/or training or if that is what it's supposed to sound like.  Either way I can't wait for their workday to end or better yet they finish the project and just go away,

Jack hammers and related power tools over my head.  They are rebuilding the "porch", which is concrete of the apartment right over me.  And of course the sound of chunks of concrete being tossed off the stairwell.

At least with out Mexican Rap Music, so far.

Can I have the jet back?

Update:

Should not tempt fate. Got both now.

My dishwasher.  It's chanting again, but now it's added drum beats.  Quite clearly a 5 sound cycle. Sounds like "bosha -drum beat- washa -drum beat- boshaga" 

My dishwasher.  It's chanting again, but now it's added drum beats.  Quite clearly a 5 sound cycle. Sounds like "bosha -drum beat- washa -drum beat- boshaga" 

*frantically pages through Necrotelicomnicon*

...er... does Discord count as an Elder God? *scratches head* Or maybe Q?

11 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
14 hours ago, mlooney said:

*frantically pages through Necrotelicomnicon*

...er... does Discord count as an Elder God? *scratches head* Or maybe Q?

I'd say whoever has possessed the dishwasher just wants to to jam. Maybe JML should pair it up with the washing machine and dryer so they can start a band. ;)

My dishwasher.  It sounds like ... a dishwasher ...

Not sure how I feel about it not chanting or playing drums any more.  I suspect it's trying to lull me into complacency about it's evil nature.

The not really Blue Oyster Cult album "Imaginos1"

1Why it's not really a Blue Oyster Cult album, despite having all the original members and was produced by their normal producer is a detail for fan boys only.

My MP3 collection.  Lots of stuff from the late 60's through the early 80's.  The 60's and 70's stuff has a lot of stereo effects in them, from back in the day when "Stereo" was a selling point.  Unfortunately I don't have a quadraphonic system, so The Who 'Quadrophenia' 1doesn't play quite as well as it might.  

1Yes, I am aware that the original LP2 was only stereo.   The 2011 remix, from original tapes, is in 5.1 surround sound.

Notes for those under the age of 25 or so.

2That is Long Playing.  What records3 used to be called.

3The big ones that played at 33 1/3 RPM, with the little hole in the center, not the smaller ones that played at 45 RPM with the big hole in the center.

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

3The big ones that played at 33 1/3 RPM, with the little hole in the center, not the smaller ones that played at 45 RPM with the big hole in the center.

They sometimes mixed this up. I remember I got Dire Strait's Twisting by the Pool on a big disc that was nonetheless supposed to be played at 45 RPM. Of course I tried the obvious and played it at 33 1/3 RPM anyway. This turned a fast upbeat tune into a slooooow and kinda lugubrious chant apparently performed by geriatric elephants through their trunks. I laughed so hard at this that I almost hurt myself.