• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
CritterKeeper

What Are You Listening To?

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Getting to be too frequent hearing about celebs from my life passing. My 50th HS reunion is this year, and I'm thinking of going. I expect there will be a lot of the same.

I've got 6 years before my 50th.  I didn't like enough of the people in that school to want me to come back to a reunion.

Bill Clinton hosted his High School Reunion at the White House

W hosted his Yale Reunion at the White House

Pope John Paul II invited priests from all over the world who were ordained the same year he was first ordained as a priest to the Vatican for his 50th anniversary

I'm sure they did this just because White House and Vatican were convenient locations for everyone concerned

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Oops

35 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I've got 6 years before my 50th.  I didn't like enough of the people in that school to want me to come back to a reunion.

I felt the same way, but I went back for one (maybe 20th?), and had a lot of fun. Mostly everybody had matured and were genuinely pleasant.

49 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Me neither. My 20th recently passed, but I didn’t go to it or the 10th either, and probably will not attend any future ones.

3 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Me neither. My 20th recently passed, but I didn’t go to it or the 10th either, and probably will not attend any future ones.

Young whipper snappers! You kids get off my lawn!

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

Not on your lawn. I’m in ur tubes, watching ur vids. :lol:

I pity the fool who watches my vids. Therein lies madness. On a nice, comfy chaise lounge. Basking in the moonlight. Howling at the source. Bwaa Haaa Haaa Haaa!

12 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I felt the same way, but I went back for one (maybe 20th?), and had a lot of fun. Mostly everybody had matured and were genuinely pleasant.

My memory is so bad now I don't even remember any of my classmates names.

I was homeschooled from 8th grade through to the end of high school. During that time my only "classmate" was my younger sister, and I still see her roughly once a week so there's no need for a reunion.

10 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I was homeschooled from 8th grade through to the end of high school. During that time my only "classmate" was my younger sister, and I still see her roughly once a week so there's no need for a reunion.

My brother home-schooled both of his daughters.  The eldest claimed that when she went to university  the sitting in a class room for a class was new enough to her that she wasn't burnt out on the whole experience   Claims it helped her in some of the more boring classes.

If college had been anything like middle school, I wouldn't have been able to handle it as long as I did. Luckily, my classmates were friendly and well behaved, and the teachers had time to help out students individually.

Unfortunately, I was going to a small college without dorms which didn't offer all the classes I needed for my degree locally. When in the space of a few months my chronic depression flared up, I discovered the hard way that browsing the internet when one is supposed to be doing school work is a good way to not get that school work done, the Aunt and Uncle I had been staying with told me they'd be moving and I'd need to find another place to stay, and I discovered that I'd need to travel halfway across the state to take my last few classes, things fell apart.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I was homeschooled from 8th grade through to the end of high school.

That seems unusual, most of the homeschoolers I've known homeschool the young kids then of they don't complete at home, go to a public or private school when they are older.

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

If college had been anything like middle school, I wouldn't have been able to handle it as long as I did. Luckily, my classmates were friendly and well behaved, and the teachers had time to help out students individually.

Middle school is the worst.

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Unfortunately, I was going to a small college without dorms which didn't offer all the classes I needed for my degree locally. When in the space of a few months my chronic depression flared up, I discovered the hard way that browsing the internet when one is supposed to be doing school work is a good way to not get that school work done, the Aunt and Uncle I had been staying with told me they'd be moving and I'd need to find another place to stay, and I discovered that I'd need to travel halfway across the state to take my last few classes, things fell apart.

I have rarely lived anywhere that did not have multiple advanced education options. Also good libraries. But this is the era to do things remotely, if you want to finish your degree.

Small City Kansas has a university, granted it's mainly for teachers and nurses, but, from what I've heard from my nieces it has a moderate to good art department, which is what they either got their degree in, or are studying for.

18 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

That seems unusual, most of the homeschoolers I've known homeschool the young kids then of they don't complete at home, go to a public or private school when they are older.

I handled public school very poorly. I was very slow with my school work, had no more than one friend at a time (and often no friends), and was constantly being teased by other kids for every little thing; I absolutely hated the experience. However, it took my parents years to realize there was an alternative and then do something about it.

18 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I have rarely lived anywhere that did not have multiple advanced education options. Also good libraries. But this is the era to do things remotely, if you want to finish your degree.

I was too burned out after my failure at college to consider trying again for a while. And now it's been so long that I've forgotten much of what I learned and what I do remember is obsolete. So it wouldn't be "finishing" my degree so much as restarting it. Still, remote learning does have the benefits of not needing to find housing and not standing out for not being "college age", so I'll have to consider it.

On the other hand I don't see myself getting a job that requires a degree, and it's relatively easy to learn things without being in school, so I don't really need a degree; it would just be so I could say (to myself and others) that I finished college.

43 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

And now it's been so long that I've forgotten much of what I learned and what I do remember is obsolete.

This is really the case with me.  I was using old tech when I was programming professionally and that was almost a decade ago.  If I was to lose my disability payments I'm not sure what I would do.   I lay awake some nights worrying about that.  Of course I'm now old enough that I can get normal Social Security if it comes to that, but that would be at a reduced amount.  

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

This is really the case with me.  I was using old tech when I was programming professionally and that was almost a decade ago.  If I was to lose my disability payments I'm not sure what I would do.   I lay awake some nights worrying about that.  Of course I'm now old enough that I can get normal Social Security if it comes to that, but that would be at a reduced amount.  

I grieve the lack of bundled BASIC and simple scripting in modern operating systems. The presence of such was a gateway to learning far more, and served my kids well. I suspect we are raising a generation of people far less literate in how to design and code.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I grieve the lack of bundled BASIC and simple scripting in modern operating systems.

https://freebasic.net/

MS Office comes with VBA. LibreOffice/OpenOffice comes with StarBasic, although IMHO it isn't ready for prime time (I tried to migrate a moderately complex macro I'd previously written in Excel, and when testing it one particular subroutine executed perfectly THREE time but on the FOURTH time it got a data-type exception - on a DIM statement. Since I do a fair amount of macro programming, I stick with Office2007... on Linux.)

Windows comes with CMD.COM (or is it currently COMMAND.COM?) and PowerShell.

Most distributions of Linux comes with about a dozen assorted scripting language in a basic install, and dozens more available in whatever software manager they use. Under Linux, if the first two bytes of a file that you're trying to execute are #! then the rest of the first line - that is, from there up to a newline - is taken as the path and filename of an interpreter and the remainder of the file is handed to that interpreter. So you can freely mix routines written in different scripting languages.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

https://freebasic.net/

MS Office comes with VBA. LibreOffice/OpenOffice comes with StarBasic, although IMHO it isn't ready for prime time (I tried to migrate a moderately complex macro I'd previously written in Excel, and when testing it one particular subroutine executed perfectly THREE time but on the FOURTH time it got a data-type exception - on a DIM statement. Since I do a fair amount of macro programming, I stick with Office2007... on Linux.)

Windows comes with CMD.COM (or is it currently COMMAND.COM?) and PowerShell.

Most distributions of Linux comes with about a dozen assorted scripting language in a basic install, and dozens more available in whatever software manager they use. Under Linux, if the first two bytes of a file that you're trying to execute are #! then the rest of the first line - that is, from there up to a newline - is taken as the path and filename of an interpreter and the remainder of the file is handed to that interpreter. So you can freely mix routines written in different scripting languages.

I've used VB back in the day, I grew to like it. Not too many predefined objects, they were fairly intuitive, and things you would make anyway.

VBA, on the other hand, is object oriented at its worst, trivial pursuit programming. Lotus Script had the same damn problem, plus unnecessary asymmetries in syntax. And Libre Office Basic is, as you said, not ready for prime time. Or beta time. It needs work.

GWBasic was, when it was still bundled and maintained, adequately rich and robust enough to accomplish just about anything. My kids wanted a paint program; I surprised myself in writing one in about twenty minutes. I would not call it fast, nor ideal, but for quick and dirty jobs, it was always ready to serve. And my kids learned enough basic skills to pursue their interests further.

Free Basic is a good option, but probably not accessible to the average non-IT parent.

The Raspberry Pi 400 is a return to the classic "computer in a keyboard" scheme like the C-64.  It even comes with a manual!  It has Python installed and the manual talks about using Python, written for a new user.  Of course it's running a version of Debian Linux, made for an ARM processor, so it's not really compatible with a lot of software.  Still a good product for the price.  $100 all up.

On 4/13/2022 at 0:07 PM, mlooney said:

The Warning. The future of crunchy rock

Well, that's something you don't see every day, a three piece band. I can't think of another, off hand.

Guitar, bass, and drums. I watched another video, and it looked like guitar, guitar, drums. So the bassist is versatile.

They are young, cute, talented, they rock hard; the songs were meh, OK, but I wouldn't buy the album yet.

The future of rock? Well, yes, by default, at least. Everyone we knew is geriatric at this point. The ones that are still above ground are, for the most part, not quitting, but how much longer can they last?

The Warning, they look like they are in their early 20s. Hmm, formed in 2013, so probably a several years old video, and they'd be in their late 20s/early 30s now. All sisters. I would not have guessed that; they don't look that similar. Very talented for the little experience their young age implies. They must have played together a bunch before deciding they were a band. OK, did a more precise Google search, and in some of the photos, they do look like sisters.

They are from  Monterrey, Mexico, but almost all their stuff is in English, and the lead singer does not have a heavy accent. I wonder if they have family in the US they've spent a lot of time with. First song in Spanish was released in 2019, so they are not a typical Latino band.

Hmm, from their website, they tour mostly in the US, although worldwide, and they do hit sites in Mexico. Their first release in Spanish was not so well received - I wonder if it is a stylistic thing, "We've not used to hearing Spanish hard rock." A guitar endorsement, opening for big names; a couple of seminars, they are getting noticed.

I kind of wonder why they are doing as well as they are. I mean, in spite of the talent, success at that level is elusive. They must have some serious encouragement from family.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Hmm, formed in 2013, so probably a several years old video, and they'd be in their late 20s/early 30s now.

No, that their latest video.  And they started as teens.  I think the I'm not sure on their exact ages, but the lead singer is in her early 20's and the other two are still teens.

Patriotic music for Independence Day on the cable music choice channel

They were playing Sousa's Liberty Bell March, and there was a distinct lack of large feet crushing things with a rude squishing sound.