• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
CritterKeeper

What Are You Listening To?

I've said this before, but the demigoddess of random numbers just reminded me of it.  Joan Jett of Joan Jett and the Blackhearts is a hell of lot better singer than Joan Jett of The Runaways.  Amazing what 10+ years of practice will do for you.

Also, Ms. Jett should trademark that "Yaww" noise she makes in about half her songs.  It's one of the more recognizable noises of Rock and Roll, at least to me.

The demigoddess of random numbers handed me "Three Little Birds".   Why is this song a classic of Reggae, beloved by millions, myself included, but "Don't Worry, be happy" is widely reviled?  

The puppy next door is very unhappy.

That is not a code phrase or any thing, just a statement of fact. Doesn't sound like it's being mistreated, but like it's on the wrong side of door and is telling it's human about it.

Does this about 3 times a week, that I have noticed.

Downloading some famous movie themes by John Williams and some famous movie themes not by John Williams.

Then I noticed this was in my recommendations again, so I decided to listen to it again. It's two tracks from the end of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, titled "Your Father Would Be Proud" and "Hope", cut together. I can't not tear up listening to this. [Edit: Mashup video appears to have been taken down. I linked to the individual parts instead]

You can tell exactly when Darth Vader activates his lightsaber.

Also, looking around, I found this. You ever hear that one song on TV but can't remember the name? Here's part 1. Hope it helps.

Edited by Zorua
Mashup video taken down. Individual parts linked to instead.

So on Monday, John dunsworth, the actor who played Jim Lahey on Trailer Park Boys, passed away. Last night, Gord Down of the Tragically Hip passed away. Easiest way to remember both is with one song (and video):

It is too early to have this song stuck in my head

She'd been drinking too much eggnog,
And we begged her not to go.
But she forgot her medication, and she
Staggered out the door into the snow.
When we found her Christmas morning,
At the scene of the attack,
She had hoof-prints on her forehead,
And incriminating Claus marks on her back.

What is this?

When was this recorded?

SiriusXM is playing a duet I never expected

Rod Stewart and Dolly Parton singing "Baby it's Cold Outside"

I could have survived without knowing about that record

Even more awkward than David Bowie and Bing Crosby singing "Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy"

14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

It is too early to have this song stuck in my head

She'd been drinking too much eggnog,
And we begged her not to go.
But she forgot her medication, and she
Staggered out the door into the snow.
When we found her Christmas morning,
At the scene of the attack,
She had hoof-prints on her forehead,
And incriminating Claus marks on her back.

The standard version, or Stan Boreson's version?

I'm up to book four of Gail Carriger's Finishing School series, a sort of prequel companion series to the Parasol Protectorate, one of my favorites.  This is in "Listening" instead of "Reading" because I've been listening to them via Audible.  Both series have excellent readers and they're a real hoot, with surprising depths developing as the series proceed.  I highly recommend both.  There are a few things which make it better to read the other series first -- the first one is titled Soulless.  They're steampunk fantasy, if you care about genre.

10 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I'm up to book four of Gail Carriger's Finishing School series, a sort of prequel companion series to the Parasol Protectorate, one of my favorites.  This is in "Listening" instead of "Reading" because I've been listening to them via Audible.  Both series have excellent readers and they're a real hoot, with surprising depths developing as the series proceed.  I highly recommend both.  There are a few things which make it better to read the other series first -- the first one is titled Soulless.  They're steampunk fantasy, if you care about genre.

I loved those books.  Finishing school indeed.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

I loved those books.  Finishing school indeed.

I loved finding out who Sephronia's sister married and what her last name became.  Put a whole other twist on the character than it would have for someone who hadn't read the first series!

A couple songs I want to download, both from the RWBY Volume 4 soundtrack.

The Volume 4 opening theme, "Let's Just Live", about moving on after losing someone. Here's a lyrics video.

"Move Onward, Not There Yet". We'll miss you, Monty.

Then there's Weiss's solo song, "This Life is Mine". It starts as more of a ballad and gets progressively more intense, going to opera, adding guitars, then becoming full rock at the end.

29 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Kind of like the 1812 Ouverture only with game music and proximity bombs instead of cannon discharges. :)

I don't know why other composers have not taken inspiration from Pyotr Ilyich.  Tchaikovsky's use of explosive percussion would have made a huge difference in all music.  Just look at what Crazy Harry did with Chanson D'Amour.  Rat-Ta-Ta-Ta-Ta Indeed.

Taps.

Played on a bugle.

At sunset.

Far enough away that I had to listen for a couple notes to be sure I was hearing it.

And both Main Street (about forty yards thataway) and the freeway (three blocks the other way, with practically nothing intervening) were quiet for the entire time.

38 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Let's see if you are just as enthusiastic about Reveille at dawn.

Much more tolerable if you know the lyrics.  :-)

You gotta get up, gotta get up, gotta get up in the morning!

Gotta get up, gotta get up, gotta get up today!

Some day I'm gonna murder the bugler!

Some day they're gonna findhim dead!

I'll stomp upon his reveille

And tromp upon it heavily

And spend the rest of my life in bed!

At least, that's the way I was taught it went....  ;-)