• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
CritterKeeper

What Are You Listening To?

17 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

And I've never tied a blue silk ribbon, or discovered a very busy chandler, or blackmailed a bosun, or gone hunting the bonnie black hare, or asked the miller's son to help find something precious....

And I've never hoist the mainstay, and I've never swabbed the poopdeck, and I've never veered a'starboard 'cause I've never sailed at all, and I've never walked the gangplank, and I've never owned a parrot, and I've never been to Boston in the fall. 

2 hours ago, Zorua said:

And I've never hoist the mainstay, and I've never swabbed the poopdeck, and I've never veered a'starboard 'cause I've never sailed at all, and I've never walked the gangplank, and I've never owned a parrot, and I've never been to Boston in the fall. 

Splatoon's "waiting for a match" music, followed by one of its many kickin' battle tracks, then either the victory fanfare or defeat fanfare. Wash, rinse, and repeat. 

You're playing the new Zelda game. You head northwest to Rito Village. Perhaps you want to see how different they are compared to how they were in The Wind Waker. Or perhaps you're just there to progress the story. Regardless, you cross the bridges and approach the village.

The background music starts to kick in, and you listen. You hear a quiet piano riff, then a calming flute. Strings begin to build up to something.

Then, the guitar kicks in.

And it hits you.

The overwhelming wave of nostalgia.

Throughout the game, you come across a Rito named Kass, a wandering minstrel with a lot of stories to tell from ages past. Sometimes he's in front of a stable playing Epona's Song. Other times he's out in the wild somewhere, ready to give you a hint as to where a nearby shrine is located. Once you find all of his puzzles out there, he'll return to Rito Village to play along with the background music. Talk to him, and he'll play one final song. An add-on to his usual theme, it quickly turns into something a little more...nostalgic.

Edited by Zorua
Broken video. Fixed.

Random music.

Fun fact: You're not the one (I was looking for) by "Blue Oyster Cult" isn't about a girlfriend, but in fact about their manager.  Makes much more sense once you know that, plus it makes it much less passive aggressive. 

The gods of random numbers just gave me "You're too possessive for me"  by The Runaways and then by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. It is amazing what 10-15 years of practice did to Joan's voice.

Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel.  I now know exactly which version of it Disturbed was covering.  It's the one on The Graduate soundtrack.   Noticeably different than the standard S&G version. 

I'm going to need to spend what I suspect is going to be an all day Adderall-fueled purge of my music library.  Way too many duplicates and songs that, frankly, suck.

I found my old iPod Shuffle just before my trip, and was listening to it at the airport and on the plane on the way out.  This is the original Shuffle, a white stick on a white cord to hang around your neck, with 512Mb of songs on it (of commensurate age).  I won the thing at a veterinary conference.  I also own a Video iPod, called that because up until then they'd only played music.  Too bad the folks got rid of the TRS-89 and my Commodore 64, I could start a museum!

On 5/30/2017 at 9:33 PM, CritterKeeper said:

I also own a Video iPod, called that because up until then they'd only played music.  Too bad the folks got rid of the TRS-89 and my Commodore 64, I could start a museum!

If you don't have a Newton, a "Fat Mac," a first gen Zune and a working eMac with 16g of memory.  Plus a working "HipZip2" mp3 player, and as of my burning the bridge then dynamiting the burning embers, at least one Mac running OS 6.4 to current, you don't have a museum.  Point hair owner had GLTP1 and I set this up and expected he could get schools to come to the shop for a visit.

1 Glorious Leader Type Person.  Has nothing to do with the normal meaning of GLT-etc.

Used the same removable "Hard Drive" as their bigger brothers, the Zip disks and had the same click of death problem  Held a total of 25 minutes, more or less of music.  I listen to songs that are longer than that.

34 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Used the same removable "Hard Drive" as their bigger brothers, the Zip disks and had the same click of death problem  Held a total of 25 minutes, more or less of music.  I listen to songs that are longer than that.

I used their bigger bigger brothers, the Jaz Drive (SCSI version), as a go-between to store samples and programs for a Kurzweil K2500RS and an E-Mu E4XT when I was writing music for the original Shadow Warrior. Talk about a nightmare trying to set up the SCSI chain and terminators with a PC involved. Made good music, though, IMHO.

You wanna know how far video game music has come?

Here's the main theme for the latest Mario game: Jump Up, Super Star!

Knocks it out of the frikkin' park!

Lyrics below. Yes, lyrics!

Here we go, off the rails

Don't you know it's time to raise our sails?

It's freedom like you never knew

Don't need bags or a pass,

Say the word, I'll be there in a flash

You could say my hat is off to you

Oh, we can zoom all the way to the moon,

From this great wide wacky world,

Jump with me, grab coins with me, oh yeah!

It's time to jump up in the air, (Jump up in the air),

Jump up, don't be scared, (Jump up, don't be scared),

Jump up and your cares will soar away, (oohoohooh),

And if the dark clouds start to swirl,

Don't fear, don't shed a tear, 'cause

I'll be your 1-Up Girl

So let's all jump up super high, (Jump up super high),

High up in the sky, (High up in the sky),

There's no power-up like dancing,

You know that you're my Super Star, (You're my Super Star)

No one else can take me this far

I'm flipping the switch,

Get ready for this,

Ohh, ohh, let's do the Odyssey!

Odyssey, ya see (x7),

Odyssey, Odyssey!

Spin the wheel, take a chance

Every journey starts a new romance

A new world's calling out to you

Take a turn, off the path

Find a new addition to the cast,

You know that any captain needs a crew

Take it in stride as you move, side to side,

They're just different points of view

Jump with me, grab coins with me, Oh yeah!

Come on and jump up in the air, (Jump up in the air),

Jump without a care, (Jump without a care),

Jump up 'cause you know that I'll be there

And if you find you're short on joy,

Don't fret, just don't forget that

You're still our 1-Up Boy

So go on, straighten out your cap, (Straighten out your cap),

Let your toes begin to tap, (Toes begin to tap),

This rhythm is a power 'shroom (oohoohooh)

Jump on it; You're the Super Star (You're the Super Star)

No one else can make it this far

Put a comb through that stache,

Now you've got panache

Ohh, ohh, let's do the Odyssey!

It's time to jump up in the air, (Jump up in the air),

Jump up, don't be scared, (Jump up don't be scared),

Jump up and your cares will soar away, (oohoohooh),

And if the dark clouds start to swirl, (Dark clouds start to swirl),

Don't fear, don't shed a tear 'cause

I'll be your 1-Up Girl

Now listen all you boys and girls, (All you boys and girls),

All around the world, (All around the world),

Don't be afraid to get up and move

You know that we're all Super Stars, (We're all Super Stars)

We're the ones who've made it this far

Put a smile on that face,

There's no time to waste,

Sooo, let's do the Odyssey!

/spoiler]

20 hours ago, mlooney said:

The gods of random numbers gave me this.  I think I can speak for most people when I say "What the hell was that?"

Have some Corb Lund to help with that.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

I just got finishing watching this Ted music/talk.  Love the music and the videos are awesome.  Talk was pretty good too.

Yeah, OKGO has done some amazing work.

It's crazy because a lot of their videos seem to be done in one take so to get everything to flow just right is just insane. Also the scale of some of their work is mind boggling too.

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, OKGO has done some amazing work.

It's crazy because a lot of their videos seem to be done in one take so to get everything to flow just right is just insane. Also the scale of some of their work is mind boggling too.

I find I have to discard my MTV-trained instinct to follow the lead singer and step back and watch a sort of kinetic painting occur on my screen instead.  I love how much screen time is given to the other bandmates.

The composition of WTF got me laughing when they started thrown balls at the one band member.  The imagery was...

End Love the goose following the band around looked unscripted until the end.  The animation technique eminded me of Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer"

53 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

End Love the goose following the band around looked unscripted until the end.  The animation technique eminded me of Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer"

The goose was completely unscripted, they apparently tried a couple times to shoo it away but it wouldn't leave.

" During the video, a singular goose is frequently seen wandering near the band, unperturbed by their performance. The goose is known to park regulars as Maria, though the band and production crew dubbed it "Orange Bill."The goose was initially territorial towards the band during the initial practice a few days before the full shoot, but eventually came to "adopt" the band, and stayed with the four during much of the video."

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

The goose was completely unscripted, they apparently tried a couple times to shoo it away but it wouldn't leave.

" During the video, a singular goose is frequently seen wandering near the band, unperturbed by their performance. The goose is known to park regulars as Maria, though the band and production crew dubbed it "Orange Bill."The goose was initially territorial towards the band during the initial practice a few days before the full shoot, but eventually came to "adopt" the band, and stayed with the four during much of the video."

It looked like they were giving Maria food near the end.  I thought that was to keep her him in the area...