• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

I need to vent.

Yesterday I got into two discussions with the same person on Discord that didn't go well..

The first ended up being deleted by the moderator/owner so I can't remember exactly what was said, but it started with me stating my interpretation of yesterday's Story comic, they made a comment disagreeing and I tried to explain my case better. At some point they start yelling at me (all caps) saying that I'm not reading what they're saying even though I am but I'm just picking certain points to discuss further because I feel that maybe they misunderstood what I was saying about it, but it only seemed to piss them off more and then I felt like I was being attacked for how I was interpreting things. It was at that point the moderator stepped in and deleted the conversation and I went off to work.

Later last night, that person came on again and made a cross reference about their username, their perceived skill with a specific Overwatch character versus their actual skill with it, and equated it to EGS terms, I got the reference but I wanted to know more about what made them perceive they skill with that character a certain way, I've played Overwatch some, I wasn't trying to give advice on how to play. My entire thought process was "I don't have anything to add to what they were conveying, but I would like to talk about Overwatch gameplay" and I tried to explain that when they again attacked me for missing the point of what he was saying, and then called BS on my attempts to clarify what I was trying to say.

I'm not trying to BS anyone. In the second instance, I was just trying to be social, just because I didn't comment on what the intended message was and instead focused on another aspect doesn't meant I'm trying to hijack the coversation, heck no one else commented on it so I didn't think there was a conversation to begin with so I tried starting one, it didn't have to go on for hours or anything, but the person could have just answered my question instead of getting mad.

For the first instance, I was only doing what I do here in reaction threads, I'm not trying to start arguments, I'm just trying to convey my interpretation of things, one of the arguments against me was that I don't read what is said in the comics. But I do, it's just not the only thing I look at. I try to look at everything in the comic, I look at facial expressions to figure what kind of tone the dialog is being spoken in, I look at what was said in comics leading up to that point, as well as figure out the tones of what's said so that I can determine if there's a change in mood. When coming up with theories about things, I try to find evidence to support it. If someone posts something with several points to counter what I said and I pick one of two to focus on, it's because those are the ones I disagree with or I feel a person misunderstood what I was saying and those were points I thought needed clarify. If I missed something that impacts my interpretation, I'll accept that, I have admitted to being wrong before, but just saying that I'm pulling stuff out of my butt isn't something I appreciate.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I ever made anyone frustrated with me over stuff like this, it's just how my mind works and I'd rather people try to help me understand things instead of being beat down about it.

Sometimes people are having a rough time and get overly defensive. Sometimes people are in an environment where that could be expected, and carry that expectation elsewhere. Some people are just jerks.

The Moderator: I thoroughly approve of the concept of a venting thread. Several threads we have already serve that purpose to a lesser degree in more specific circumstances. Having a general thread in which to post one's primal screams of rage at life might be a huge relief for many posters here.

~tOH.

Thanks. I know several of the forumgoers here are on the discord server as well and they would have seen what took place. It's really only been the one person that's been an issue for me so I don't want to abandon it, still I've found it difficult to say anything in response to those that came to my defense, heck the main reason I tried to converse with the person later was that I had hoped that maybe the first incident was due to them having a rough morning or something and they maybe they would be easier to talk to later, but now I feel like saying something would set them off again, but I don't want to do that even if it does mean they'd be banned or something.

4 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

I tend to avoid unmoderated forums for exactly this sort of thing. 

I get into enough arguments on moderated forums.  :)

Why do I want to give a very Monty Pythonish "No you don't" here?

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

Why do I want to give a very Monty Pythonish "No you don't" here?

I'd like the 10 minute argument, please...

I am seriously thinking about scattering comments of "Check your neurotypical privilege" about on select parts of my Facebook feed. Starting to chap my buns again it is.

Which is a good sign, it means I care enough to think about it, which at times is more than I really could do.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I am seriously thinking about scattering comments of "Check your neurotypical privilege" about on select parts of my Facebook feed. Starting to chap my buns again it is.

Which is a good sign, it means I care enough to think about it, which at times is more than I really could do.

Sometimes good signs come in painful packaging. I could wish less of them did. I am glad you are recovering somewhat but sorry you have to deal with this crap.

I don't even know if this is a vent.

Depression has got me down hard today. I've barely seen Mrs. Prof, and even after she's come home she's still working on stuff from the National Feral Cat Day thing at the pet adoption center. Even she had depressing news—one of their kittens died today. Between all of that and my body acting like it's hitting tolerance to the hydrocodone, I can't seem to get a good thought in my head (other than the tea thought).

I'm even having to eat chicken tonight. I'm a beef eater.

So, in an attempt to fight all of this off, I'm going to post a photo of the house I lived in in Pasadena, TX from age 5 to age 13 (I think).

large.PasadenaHome01.jpg

Differences between now and then:

• The Google GPS mark wasn't there.
  • There was a garage.
  • The house was painted white.
  • There was no air conditioner in the front right window.
  • There were a pair of wax-leaf lugustrum trees on either side of the driveway entry.
  • That god-awful car wasn't there.
  • The hedgerow in front of the house had a garden (hah!) of horrid plants.
  • The two trees near the car weren't there.

Other than that, I'm sure there are a million differences between now and then that I can't see.

Mrs. Prof is treating Baker better than she's treating me at the moment. Why do I care?

Vent over.

My childhood home has changed a lot, too.  

It was always green, with redwood panels between the windows on the front.  Now, it's blue, although the redwood is still red. 

The evergreen bushes that went as high as the living room windows on either side of the front door to the garage on one side and the corner on the other were taken out after a rash of burglaries, on advice of home security people, replaced by much shorter and thinner plants.  

The big crabapple tree I used to sit in reading a book, hidden from the world, was taken out long enough ago that the replacement tree is almost big enough to believe it might one day be able to support a small person, but at least the scent of blossoms is there again!  

Conversely, the little two-foot live Christmas tree we got one year, supported on a table to bring it up to a decent height, was planted off to the right side of the front yard, and it's grown, and grown, and grown, until it's several feet taller than the whole house is.  The lower branches were removed for the same security reasons, so not likely to be able to climb that one, but it's still quite impressive.  (My dad fought an ongoing battle for many years to try to get the Christmas lights all the way up to the top every time.)

The biggest change isn't visible from the front; my mom had always wanted a sun room to grow plants in year-round, and once my sister and I had moved out, they added on to the house in back, a combination of a large sun room with a sink, and extending my sister's childhood bedroom into a large guest room with both her old full bed and a twin one.  My old room became my dad's computer room, so I sleep in the guest room when I visit now.

And, the basement flooded badly a year or so ago, ruining the walls and flooring in what used to be the playroom, laundry room, and "ping-pong room" (the table being covered in boxes and piles of stuff for as long as I can remember, hence the quotation marks).  Anything stored in the basement less than three feet off the floor got ruined, and a lot of the stuff above that got damp and musty.  The walls between rooms are still bare studs and the outer walls need to be recovered too.  It'll probably look pretty different when it finally gets repaired the rest of the way.

It may not look the same, but it's still home!  :-)