• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Friday July 28, 2017

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2379

Pandora is really encouraging Tedd here, I'm certain she knows it worked, but she wants Tedd to see for himself, hence the suggestion to "look" at the wand as he's using it.

Also, Dan sneaking in (not really) Ellen's Vulcan salute clothing resize into the story. ;)

Is Pandora going somewhere with the spells she's asking Tedd to add to the wand?  Or is just a lesson in stacking spells using spells he's likely to have seen?  I only ask because I envisioned Pandora at the end telling Tedd that he was actually a Disney princess (after the appropriate spells were cast).

Tedd's smile in panel 8 means the world to me. 

Pandora is actively encouraging and supporting Tedd. I know Grace tried to during the tournament, but she was limited by "magic in public = bad." Pandora's unconditional support really seems to help Tedd, and I might be too happy because of it?

1 hour ago, Servant of Tara Gilesbie said:

Tedd's smile in panel 8 means the world to me. 

Pandora is actively encouraging and supporting Tedd. I know Grace tried to during the tournament, but she was limited by "magic in public = bad." Pandora's unconditional support really seems to help Tedd, and I might be too happy because of it?

This comic made me smile for that reason. It's just so sweet. The way Tedd blushes, that grin. I know exactly what Tedd is feeling there and it's just sooooooo good.

Maplestrip made a comment on discord about this being the first time Tedd's been praised for changing sex and it got me wondering if Pandora's trying to build Tedd's confidence to be able to talk to Edward about being genderfluid?

The way Pandora's going about teaching Tedd about his abilities seems so much different than how she taught Adrian, Panel 2 of the last page of the Legacy chapter shows Pandora looking like she's being very strict, very serious about training Adrian to be able to defend himself and such. My guess is she's realized that how she taught Adrian might have influenced how Adrian taught Edward and Noriko and how they turned out. I can see her wanting to make sure that didn't get perpetuated through Tedd.

Tedd now has how many ways to become a girl?

7 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I envisioned Pandora at the end telling Tedd that he was actually a Disney princess

Not until after the other Disney princesses officially recognize Princess Leia Organa as a one of their own.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Advise and empower. She's handling the first part quite well. No need for the second part here, is there?

I think what you are looking for is "guide and empower". Oh, the war flashbacks, though. :demonicduck:

But she IS good at it.  

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Maplestrip made a comment on discord about this being the first time Tedd's been praised for changing sex and it got me wondering if Pandora's trying to build Tedd's confidence to be able to talk to Edward about being genderfluid?

The way Pandora's going about teaching Tedd about his abilities seems so much different than how she taught Adrian, Panel 2 of the last page of the Legacy chapter shows Pandora looking like she's being very strict, very serious about training Adrian to be able to defend himself and such. My guess is she's realized that how she taught Adrian might have influenced how Adrian taught Edward and Noriko and how they turned out. I can see her wanting to make sure that didn't get perpetuated through Tedd.

I like both of these ideas.  I think you are correct that Pandora realizes that Tedd really needs to learn to be more accepting of himself as genderfluid; teaching him magic using those types of spells serves to help him be more comfortable as well as teach him the use of his magic.  I wonder about the talking to Edward thing.  I really believe Tedd should talk to his Dad about this; perhaps Edward's concern was for other reasons than transphobia, but I am not sure Pandora would want to advise Tedd to talk to Edward yet.

As for the difference in teaching styles, there is also a difference in history.  Raven lost his father and Pandora had just lost her husband; getting all drill sergeant would be understandable.  With Tedd and the different history and connection, a more gentle approach would be required.

I can see Pandora blaming herself for Adrian style of teaching, but I think Adrian needs to address his own drive to recruit people to fight the good fight to the point of obsessing; is it losing his father or the limit's on what he is allowed to do as a half-immortal that drive him?

Once Tedd adds the FV5 beam to the wand, she's going to need to test it, to demonstrate how multiple spells in one wand works, right? So I wonder who is getting zapped, herself or Pandora?

1 hour ago, Tuscahoma said:

I can see Pandora blaming herself for Adrian style of teaching, but I think Adrian needs to address his own drive to recruit people to fight the good fight to the point of obsessing; is it losing his father or the limit's on what he is allowed to do as a half-immortal that drive him?

I think it's likely a little of both. He gets the drive to help people from his father, but due to him being half-immortal, he can't act directly in most situations, so he instead seeks others to train to act in his stead.

Ditto the comments about panel 8.  The intense amount of mutual support and bonding between these two is both giving me all the feels and making me really fearful for Pandora.  

Also, this conversation has now lasted over a month real time.  I was pondering when it started that we might get to the big vampire hoedown by Christmas.  Maybe Easter?

41 minutes ago, Nayl said:

making me really fearful for Pandora.

Me too. Pandora is getting all tied up with Tedd now and seems to have forgotten for now that another immortal tried to kill Tedd's best friend just six days ago. Pandora may not be worried about vampires because her dam will be down in a few days and the local ambient magic will return to normal, so vampires won't be drawn to it any more.

I think the only way now Pandora would get a clue about what's coming is if she decides to seek out Magus. Not much time for that, though.

8 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I think the only way now Pandora would get a clue about what's coming is if she decides to seek out Magus. Not much time for that, though.

Thanks to dramatic convergence of storylines, she likely has until the afternoon into the evening, unless Friday isn't a school day for some reason. Admittedly it wouldn't be a lot of time, but it's certainly enough to try to patch things up with Magus if she wanted to (and hasn't forgotten the poor wizard from all of the things that have been on her mind and the tiredness from keeping herself composed for so long.)

As for the "Teaching Style"?

Tedd knows a lot of the basics of magic, although much of that was learned in a non traditional manner.  And the magic Tedd does have doesn't work like the magic of most other spellcasters.  So a significant portion of the normal basic training would be redundant or useless anyway.  Also, much of what Pandora has done so far isn't really teaching as much as telling Tedd, "This is something you can do.  Now do it."

1 hour ago, Drasvin said:

Once Tedd adds the FV5 beam to the wand, she's going to need to test it, to demonstrate how multiple spells in one wand works, right? So I wonder who is getting zapped, herself or Pandora?

Is this the point when Edward walks in unexpectedly?

51 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

As for the "Teaching Style"?

Tedd knows a lot of the basics of magic, although much of that was learned in a non traditional manner.  And the magic Tedd does have doesn't work like the magic of most other spellcasters.  So a significant portion of the normal basic training would be redundant or useless anyway.  Also, much of what Pandora has done so far isn't really teaching as much as telling Tedd, "This is something you can do.  Now do it."

That is big part of what teaching *is*. 

25 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I have a can opener and more than a little inclination to use it. Feel free to push it.

I don't know about you but I can't push a 14-ton can of anything anywhere it doesn't naturally want to go.   :)

Just now, The Old Hack said:

Presumably you also have the good sense not to try, then. :demonicduck:

I certainly don't want it to naturally want to go anywhere near me...

26 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

I certainly don't want it to naturally want to go anywhere near me...

Some catholic parents near me pushed it, didn't like how the catholic school board was running things, so they ended up buying their own school and hiring a couple teachers.

5 hours ago, Stature said:

I think what you are looking for is "guide and empower". Oh, the war flashbacks, though. :demonicduck:

But she IS good at it.  

Guide and empower, right, right. She's definitely guiding. Is there (or will there be) an ulterior motive to her guidance, though? You mention the war flashbacks, where magic stopped working. Tedd is a Seer *and* a Wand Maker. He can overcome that problem quickly. Is that her aim, or is she really just being nice to him?