• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Friday July 28, 2017

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

You are a wiser man than I am, Gunga Din. When I mount my donkey and my faithful Sanchez hands me my lance, no windmill is safe from me.

I've been a tilter at windmills through most of my internet life.  Critterkeeper mentioned the B5 newsgroups, I was on the moderated newsgroup through much of the early-mid 2000s.  Under the same name as I use here as well.  Taught me a lot about how to (and how not to) argue on the internet.  I highly recommend being the minority voice on a moderated internet form.  It's a good learning experience.

It's only recently that the question "why?" comes up more and more and I find I do it less and less.

I believe the sound effect for that spell is *enbooben*.

14 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Is Pandora going somewhere with the spells she's asking Tedd to add to the wand?  Or is just a lesson in stacking spells using spells he's likely to have seen?  I only ask because I envisioned Pandora at the end telling Tedd that he was actually a Disney princess (after the appropriate spells were cast).

I imagine that she's letting Tedd figure out how to imprint other people's spells properly, instead of the old way, where he was pretending to reverse engineer the effects of the TG gun to enchant the watches, but was just accidentally imprinting the watches instead.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Guide and empower, right, right. She's definitely guiding. Is there (or will there be) an ulterior motive to her guidance, though? You mention the war flashbacks, where magic stopped working. Tedd is a Seer *and* a Wand Maker. He can overcome that problem quickly. Is that her aim, or is she really just being nice to him?

I think that in light of the most recent prior parts of this exchange, she seems a lot more reasonable than most, given her overall state of mind and basic desire to help, even if her mood is capricious.

Anyway, Pandora being like Tedd's surrogate mom here is goddamned adorable.

47 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Is there (or will there be) an ulterior motive to her guidance, though?

If there is, Pandora's forgotten for now. Go back to what led Pandora back to Tedd this morning. Pandora met with her son, and Adrian told her off, saying that Noah could have been killed. Pandora was so angered and upset she didn't get Adrian to explain why he would think that. Instead of going back, Pandora decided to see about Tedd. After her talk with Heka, she checked up on Sarah, made a deeper connection with her, and then went on to Tedd. 

What Adrian said about Noah is also a big plot point. It means that Adrian still believes that Pandora was the one controlling Dex, which means he hasn't talked with Edward, which means Adrian doesn't know about Voltaire and Edward doesn't know about Voltaire setting up Pandora.

So I guess it could be good if Edward comes downstairs now. Very good if Edward mentions Voltaire. Not so good if Edward tells Pandora he doesn't want Immortals messing with his son.

I believe the reason for such a gentle touch has more to do with feelings of guilt. Pandora said that she should have been there for Tedd when he was a kid. Also, she put her entire way of life at risk by creating the dam (risking magic changing). She feels responsible on some level for how things are and how he is so I think that's why she's being so gentle.

16 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

My guess about Pandora having ulterior motives was incorrect:

Well, part of your question was "is she really just being nice to him?" I think that counts for half a cookie at least. ;)

So, since we now have the minor spoiler from Dan that Pandora is genuinely trying to be good to Tedd, the only twist we can have now is someone coming down the stairs unexpectedly (I think a lot of us have been wondering if Edward was going to show up at various points along the way), especially since we had the magical glow of wandmaking.  Admittedly, the most likely would be Edward (would Edward have security systems in place to detect magic occurring in his house, and if so, would they be turned off in the basement because of Tedd's experiments, just a thought)  or Grace, maybe someone else might show, like Voltaire or Jerry.  Any guesses?

1 minute ago, Tuscahoma said:

So, since we now have the minor spoiler from Dan that Pandora is genuinely trying to be good to Tedd, the only twist we can have now is someone coming down the stairs unexpectedly (I think a lot of us have been wondering if Edward was going to show up at various points along the way), especially since we had the magical glow of wandmaking.  Admittedly, the most likely would be Edward (would Edward have security systems in place to detect magic occurring in his house, and if so, would they be turned off in the basement because of Tedd's experiments, just a thought)  or Grace, maybe someone else might show, like Voltaire or Jerry.  Any guesses?

I'm still pretty certain Pandora's talked to Jerry. A confrontation with Voltaire would be a sufficient twist, but I feel that's coming later. Grace is likely, but wouldn't create drama, Edward though might jump to conclusions and think Pandora's trying to manipulate Tedd and while it'd be sad to see that kind of drama, especially if it silences Pandora and Tedd doesn't speak up about it, on the other hand seeing Tedd finally speak up about it with Edward is something I'm sure many of us want to see.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Tedd now has how many ways to become a girl?

* His Mark spell

* TFG

* Watches

* Ask Ellen

* Wand

Not until after the other Disney princesses officially recognize Princess Leia Organa as a one of their own.

Is she a Princess because she was the daughter of a Queen, or was she elected to the office in her own right?  Do they perhaps apply the title to all they send to the Galactic Senate?

14 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Is she a Princess because she was the daughter of a Queen, or was she elected to the office in her own right?  Do they perhaps apply the title to all they send to the Galactic Senate?

Maybe likely it's a ceremonial reference to her as a daughter of Amidala?

Leia's status as a Princess comes entirely from Alderaan.  She was introduced as a Princess and a Member of the Galactic Senate in A New Hope.  At that time no one except the elder Senator Organa and R2D2 knew of her relation to Padmé Amidala of Naboo.  And the elder Senator Organa wasn't talking much after certain incidents in that movie.

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

/* proudly claims this half of a cookie in the name of France */

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Pour la Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité!

For half a cookie?

No

Pour the milk, please.

4 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

So, since we now have the minor spoiler from Dan that Pandora is genuinely trying to be good to Tedd

This is still not necessarily a good thing.  Pandora has shown herself to be out of touch with human sensibilities from time to time.  Her measure for what is "Good" for humans is memory of the opinions of a man who lived several centuries ago for whom she still grieves.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Leia's status as a Princess comes entirely from Alderaan.  She was introduced as a Princess and a Member of the Galactic Senate in A New Hope.  At that time no one except the elder Senator Organa and R2D2 knew of her relation to Padmé Amidala of Naboo.  And the elder Senator Organa wasn't talking much after certain incidents in that movie.

Are we sure R2-D2 didn't have his memory wiped between films?

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This is still not necessarily a good thing.  Pandora has shown herself to be out of touch with human sensibilities from time to time.  Her measure for what is "Good" for humans is memory of the opinions of a man who lived several centuries ago for whom she still grieves.

I don't think she's out of touch at this time though, some may argue that teaching Tedd how to make a wand is more than she needed to do here and that she's forgotten that there are other people that she need's to talk to.

I think she is preparing to reset soon and she wants to make up for the mistakes she's made before hand, and that includes giving Tedd the support he should have gotten years ago. Whether this is too much is debatable, I think it's sweet that she's trying, it wouldn't be the same if it was her next life trying to make amends. Even if Pandora vowed to fix everything with Adrian after she reset, at best her next incarnation will feel like she's doing the work to fix things someone else did.

14 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Pour la Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité!

14 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Uh-oh, the Danish are getting ready to invade again!

They do that.  Give them Normandy and they will be happy.

19 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

For Liberty, Equality, and Brotherhood

First heard in the French Revolution.  It has been the national motto of France since the Third Republic.

Then why did people follow it up with quote about the danes invading?

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Exactly.  Her being the daughter of a Queen Emeritus is a big secret, so either her adopted mother was the current Queen when the Death Star took out Alderaan, and Princess is a position akin to First Lady assigned to the family of the elected Queen; or, the various titles of nobility are all elected or appointed positions, just like Queen is there, and Leia earned it herself.  Perhaps Princess is the equivalent of Vice President?  And she never assumed the title of Queen because she didn't feel like there was enough of Alderaan left to rule, or to vote her out properly later?

5 hours ago, animalia said:

Are we sure R2-D2 didn't have his memory wiped between films?

I'm pretty sure C3PO was wiped, likely more than once, but I've long suspected that R2-D2 somehow escaped that, and was told not to share what he knew with 3PO.  Perhaps knowing he was built by Darth Vader would have been too much for his delicate sensibilities.

28 minutes ago, animalia said:

Then why did people follow it up with quote about the Danes invading?

Because the Danes have a history of invading France.  The Danes were one of the nations that caused great fear in the rest of Europe.  From Kiev to Cornwall.  From the Volga to Vinland.  From France to the Faroes. From Britain to the Baltic.  From Istanbul to Constantinople.  For about half a millennia, the western world trembled before the Northmen, the Vikings.

From the fury of the Norsemen, good Lord, deliver us.