• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Friday July 28, 2017

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Nah. That would involve going up against Commander Shepard. We're frothing raging berserker vikings, we aren't crazy.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Nah. That would involve going up against Commander Shepard. We're frothing raging berserker vikings, we aren't crazy.

For some reason I read Danish but but I heard Dutch. I don't know why. Sorry as an American my Europen history is limited. If this was about languages I feel I'd have a better excuse. And I am actually an amateur geography buff. Fun fact: Many American states are the same size as many Europen countries. 

1 hour ago, animalia said:

Fun fact: Many American states are the same size as many Europen countries. 

Another fun fact: Many American States can fit in one Canadian Province*

*As long as that province isn't New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island or possibly Newfoundland/Labrador.

2 hours ago, animalia said:

For some reason I read Danish but but I heard Dutch. I don't know why. Sorry as an American my Europen history is limited. If this was about languages I feel I'd have a better excuse. And I am actually an amateur geography buff. Fun fact: Many American states are the same size as many Europen countries. 

Denmark has a population of about five million and is about the size of West Virginia. We're not really a huge nation.

4 hours ago, animalia said:

Fun fact: Many American states are the same size as many Europen countries. 

And Europe as whole is similar in size to the United States, about ten million square kilometers.  So when some European complains about how few other countries most Americans have been to, tell them how many states you've been to and ask them how many countries outside Europe they've been to.  (Still not really a fair comparison, given how many countries are adjacent to or just across the Sea from Europe, versus how few countries America shares a border with, but still....)

On 7/28/2017 at 10:27 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This is still not necessarily a good thing.  Pandora has shown herself to be out of touch with human sensibilities from time to time.  Her measure for what is "Good" for humans is memory of the opinions of a man who lived several centuries ago for whom she still grieves.

Good point.  Her idea of good is also influenced by her desire to see her son able to protect himself.  I think this has transferred to Tedd coupled with her guilt over not being with him when his mother left.  So what could go wrong with Pandora trying to teach Tedd all that she can so he is powerful enough to protect himself.  He seems to have matured enough with Elliot's help not to fall to the Dark Side.  Maybe overconfidence?  Still doesn't seem like the type.  Anyone come up with downsides to Pandora having a poor grasp of good and mentoring Tedd?

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't think she's out of touch at this time though, some may argue that teaching Tedd how to make a wand is more than she needed to do here and that she's forgotten that there are other people that she need's to talk to.

I think she is preparing to reset soon and she wants to make up for the mistakes she's made before hand, and that includes giving Tedd the support he should have gotten years ago. Whether this is too much is debatable, I think it's sweet that she's trying, it wouldn't be the same if it was her next life trying to make amends. Even if Pandora vowed to fix everything with Adrian after she reset, at best her next incarnation will feel like she's doing the work to fix things someone else did.

I have been wondering that as well.  I am think she is close to coming to that conclusion, hasn't yet (maybe, I waffle on this), but is unconsciously putting her affairs in order (again, I can see the opposite conclusion to this).  What could derail this?  Plan CM.  Vampires going after Adrian?  Pandora is the bomb that is being kicked.  An atomic bomb.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

And Europe as whole is similar in size to the United States, about ten million square kilometers.  So when some European complains about how few other countries most Americans have been to, tell them how many states you've been to and ask them how many countries outside Europe they've been to.  (Still not really a fair comparison, given how many countries are adjacent to or just across the Sea from Europe, versus how few countries America shares a border with, but still....)

I've been to 48 states and most NATO's central front1, plus a few neutrals.  Also was briefly, and illegally in Czechoslovakia.  Fell asleep on a train.

1That would be 1980's central front, which is now the rear area.

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

The large majority of Americans speak at least one official language, and the economically-dominant language, of every country within 500 miles of their home. Most of those who don't, miss only one country.

Not many Europeans are so linguistically accomplished.

53 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

The large majority of Americans speak at least one official language, and the economically-dominant language, of every country within 500 miles of their home. Most of those who don't, miss only one country.

Yeah, I can't keep up. I only know English, German, some French and Latin, and a smidgen of Italian for household purposes. And Danish, of course.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Yeah. The reason Americans know less languages then the average European all boils down to geography. Our country is about the same size as their continent. Only difference is almost everyone speaks English. There are some people who speak two languages. For example, French in Louisiana, Spanish in the Southwest and Southern California, but again those people usually speak English as well. It won't always be their first language but they will speak it well enough to hold a conversation. And as long as you treat them with respect (i.e. Don't act like Trump, ugh people like him make me ashamed to be an American) they will treat you with respect. In other words we don't learn other languages simply because we don't need to learn.

3 hours ago, animalia said:

Yeah. The reason Americans know less languages then the average European all boils down to geography. Our country is about the same size as their continent. Only difference is almost everyone speaks English. There are some people who speak two languages. For example, French in Louisiana, Spanish in the Southwest and Southern California, but again those people usually speak English as well. It won't always be their first language but they will speak it well enough to hold a conversation. And as long as you treat them with respect (i.e. Don't act like Trump, ugh people like him make me ashamed to be an American) they will treat you with respect. In other words we don't learn other languages simply because we don't need to learn.

I did catch the joke, I assure you. :)

On the other hand, coming from a small and culturally insignificant country is an extremely good motivation to learn other languages. And it is not a coincidence that the two foreign languages I do best in are those of our next door neighbours.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I did catch the joke, I assure you. :)

On the other hand, coming from a small and culturally insignificant country is an extremely good motivation to learn other languages. And it is not a coincidence that the two foreign languages I do best in are those of our next door neighbours.

I knew you got the joke, many people don't however. Geography can explain a lot. I am a big fan of it but this isn't the place to talk about it.

Just now, animalia said:

I knew you got the joke, many people don't however. Geography can explain a lot. I am a big fan of it but this isn't the place to talk about it.

Then move it to the Off Topic forum. That's what it is for. :)

On 7/28/2017 at 8:03 AM, Tuscahoma said:

Is Pandora going somewhere with the spells she's asking Tedd to add to the wand?  Or is just a lesson in stacking spells using spells he's likely to have seen?  I only ask because I envisioned Pandora at the end telling Tedd that he was actually a Disney princess (after the appropriate spells were cast).

She understand humans enough to not tell Tedd this. However, she MIGHT trick him into becoming one for her amusement, as long as it doesn't harm him ...

On 7/28/2017 at 1:58 PM, Scotty said:

The way Pandora's going about teaching Tedd about his abilities seems so much different than how she taught Adrian, Panel 2 of the last page of the Legacy chapter shows Pandora looking like she's being very strict, very serious about training Adrian to be able to defend himself and such. My guess is she's realized that how she taught Adrian might have influenced how Adrian taught Edward and Noriko and how they turned out. I can see her wanting to make sure that didn't get perpetuated through Tedd.

It's likely she was less strict when she started to train Adrian as well and only become this serious later.

On 7/28/2017 at 3:43 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Not until after the other Disney princesses officially recognize Princess Leia Organa as a one of their own.

They didn't?

On 7/28/2017 at 9:41 PM, ProfessorTomoe said:

Tedd is a Seer *and* a Wand Maker.

EVERY Seer is a Wand Maker, apparently.

On 7/29/2017 at 2:20 PM, Scotty said:

I think she is preparing to reset soon and she wants to make up for the mistakes she's made before hand, and that includes giving Tedd the support he should have gotten years ago. Whether this is too much is debatable, I think it's sweet that she's trying, it wouldn't be the same if it was her next life trying to make amends.

I don't think she's preparing to reset soon. I think she's preparing to reset in next century and has a lot of amending to do so must start now.

On 7/29/2017 at 4:35 PM, CritterKeeper said:
On 7/29/2017 at 10:56 AM, animalia said:

Are we sure R2-D2 didn't have his memory wiped between films?

I'm pretty sure C3PO was wiped, likely more than once, but I've long suspected that R2-D2 somehow escaped that, and was told not to share what he knew with 3PO.  Perhaps knowing he was built by Darth Vader would have been too much for his delicate sensibilities.

I'm pretty sure they only wiped 3PO because it was obvious he can't keep his mouth shut. Meanwhile, for R2-D2 telling secret would be hard even if he tried, and he's GOOD at keeping secrets.

On 7/29/2017 at 5:11 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Because the Danes have a history of invading France.  The Danes were one of the nations that caused great fear in the rest of Europe.  From Kiev to Cornwall.  From the Volga to Vinland.  From France to the Faroes. From Britain to the Baltic.  From Istanbul to Constantinople.  For about half a millennia, the western world trembled before the Northmen, the Vikings.

Only the parts near the ocean :)

16 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Anyone come up with downsides to Pandora having a poor grasp of good and mentoring Tedd?

Second purpose of Seer?

16 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Vampires going after Adrian?  Pandora is the bomb that is being kicked.  An atomic bomb.

... or Nova bomb.

16 hours ago, mlooney said:

Also was briefly, and illegally in Czechoslovakia.  Fell asleep on a train.

1That would be 1980

... I suppose that falling asleep on a train was NOT in 1980 :)

12 hours ago, animalia said:

There are some people who speak two languages. For example, French in Louisiana, Spanish in the Southwest and Southern California, but again those people usually speak English as well.

That's true in big part of Europe as well, luckily.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:
17 hours ago, mlooney said:

Also was briefly, and illegally in Czechoslovakia.  Fell asleep on a train.

1That would be 1980

... I suppose that falling asleep on a train was NOT in 1980 :slight_smile:

No, that is when I did it.  Hence the Czechoslovakia, not the Czech Republic and the illegal part.

9 minutes ago, mlooney said:

No, that is when I did it.  Hence the Czechoslovakia, not the Czech Republic and the illegal part.

You're lucky they didn't wake you with submachine gun.

... wait ... did they?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It's likely she was less strict when she started to train Adrian as well and only become this serious later.

If she started teaching Adrian the basics just before Blaike died, she might have taken it easy, but after Blaike's death, she would have felt an urgent need to teach Adrian as much as she could before it was time to reset. She still intended to reset after Blaike had died, it was only when it came time to do it that she ignored it in favor of making sure Adrian was safe.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think she's preparing to reset soon. I think she's preparing to reset in next century and has a lot of amending to do so must start now.

I disagree. She's already admitted that with each year it gets more difficult to stay focused, she wouldn't last another century without going insane with boredom.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If she started teaching Adrian the basics just before Blaike died, she might have taken it easy, but after Blaike's death, she would have felt an urgent need to teach Adrian as much as she could before it was time to reset. She still intended to reset after Blaike had died, it was only when it came time to do it that she ignored it in favor of making sure Adrian was safe.

Well, I think she at least PRETENDED to take it easy for some time after Blaike's death.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I disagree. She's already admitted that with each year it gets more difficult to stay focused, she wouldn't last another century without going insane with boredom.

Well, century might be too much, but I think her "soon" is not so soon in mortal terms. It's certainly not this week. More likely, she doesn't have timeframe yet, but started to be aware that she will need to reset sooner or later, that she should make up her mistakes before that and that it wouldn't be easy so better start immediately.

For start, I don't think she plans this to be her only teaching session with Tedd. And she likely still plans to help Sarah in THIS incarnation.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It was an AKM, thank you very much.

... maaaybe it would be better if I ask: do YOU think you were lucky? Or should I stop reminding it to you?

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Well, century might be too much, but I think her "soon" is not so soon in mortal terms. It's certainly not this week. More likely, she doesn't have timeframe yet, but started to be aware that she will need to reset sooner or later, that she should make up her mistakes before that and that it wouldn't be easy so better start immediately.

Depending on how things go Friday evening, she may end up spending some time hunting down certain Aberrations and Immortals.

When she was talking to Sarah about wanting to talk to her son on Saturday about the lie she told herself, I really got the feeling that talking to Adrian was the last major thing Pandora wants to do before she resets, that's why she's talking to Tedd now and there might be someone else she wants to talk to as well between now and Saturday, maybe Edward? Maybe find Magus and square things up with him, I dunno. She did promise to tell Sarah how it went though, but my guess would be that she would also let Sarah know about her resetting and that it may be a couple months before her next incarnation would be able to start honoring her vow.

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

For start, I don't think she plans this to be her only teaching session with Tedd. And she likely still plans to help Sarah in THIS incarnation.

Pandora could still do that in her next incarnation, her vow would make certain of that. She would also likely pass along the knowledge of her connection with Adrian and Tedd and so she should be able to continue being there for them, it would be interesting to see what her basic nature is like though, she was a trickster, but even at 150 years old she was shown to be capable of caring, so who know.

Of course in the event she was forced to reset and her knowledge gets run through the blender like Helena's and Demetrius', she'd still likely have the vow nagging at her to do something with Sarah, but she might not remember much else.

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:

When she was talking to Sarah about wanting to talk to her son on Saturday about the lie she told herself, I really got the feeling that talking to Adrian was the last major thing Pandora wants to do before she resets, that's why she's talking to Tedd now and there might be someone else she wants to talk to as well between now and Saturday, maybe Edward? Maybe find Magus and square things up with him, I dunno. She did promise to tell Sarah how it went though, but my guess would be that she would also let Sarah know about her resetting and that it may be a couple months before her next incarnation would be able to start honoring her vow.

I know, I just disagree. I don't think her being in hurry to talk to lot of people needs to be because she wants to reset. I think it's because she doesn't do anything halfway.

33 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Pandora could still do that in her next incarnation, her vow would make certain of that.

Note that one of her motivation was boredom. Sure she COULD, but I don't think she PLANS to.

33 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Of course in the event she was forced to reset and her knowledge gets run through the blender like Helena's and Demetrius', she'd still likely have the vow nagging at her to do something with Sarah, but she might not remember much else.

Yeeeaaah. I don't think Pandora PLANS to reset this week, but I'm not sure she will survive anyway.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:
8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It was an AKM, thank you very much.

To be honest I was more worried about what it would do to my then current Top Secret clearance back ground check.   The Czech border guards were all fairly cool about it.  The MP that the army sent to get me out was less excited about the whole thing.