• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

Story: Wednesday, April 6, 2016

55 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's not about affinity. It's the fact that every seyunolu can only use Uryuomn magic and not Earth one. ... wait. Except Noah, he seems to have some Earth magic abilities ...

a couple people have said he's a 2nd generation seyunolu, so maybe the limitation only applies to first generation cases?

3 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It's not about affinity. It's the fact that every seyunolu can only use Uryuomn magic and not Earth one. ... wait. Except Noah, he seems to have some Earth magic abilities ...

a couple people have said he's a 2nd generation seyunolu, so maybe the limitation only applies to first generation cases?

... couple of people maybe, but I find the evidence for that weak. On the other hand, it would sort of make sense.

9 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Assuming Nioi had any idea what she was talking about, Elliot is definitely the original :P

I think it's safe to assume that Nioi knows much more about dewitchery diamond than anyone else, maybe including Abraham.

7 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure where the 2nd generation comes from, the only mention of 2nd generation was in reference to William being 2nd generation Uryoum born on Earth.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:
4 hours ago, SeriousJupiter said:

..Unless of course the girls' father/mother happens to be a powerful vampire hunter him/herself and will come back to Moperville only to find his/her daughters doing his/her job. Boy, wouldn't that be an awkward family reunion.

If there would be family history of vampire hunting, the parent in question probably wouldn't be so surprised daughters are already in job.

Alternately, said parent(s) being hunter(s) could be the reason they were up for adoption in the first place. Seems like a rather High-Mortality-Rate occupation. Either keeping them away to keep them safe, or one dying when they were too young to remember and the other not being able to do it alone.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:
12 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure where the 2nd generation comes from, the only mention of 2nd generation was in reference to William being 2nd generation Uryoum born on Earth.

Ok, Archie in Ellen's second life alternate reality is 2nd generation Seyunolu. If we do consider Archie as Noah's alternate, then yes Noah can be 2nd generation, but we don't have anything that confirms this though aside from the both of them having blond hair and antennae on the backs of their head. Facial features are nothing alike, Archie is nowhere near feminine enough to look like Noah.

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:

ask Arcanimus, that's who i got it from.

8 hours ago, Arcanimus said:

Given that Noah is also a seyunolu (albeit second generation), has more "traditional" magical abilities,

2 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Why do you think Noah is Tedd's half brother?

This comic implies that Noriko has more than one son. So far, Noah looks to be the best choice among introduced characters. He is important enough so that when the relationship is revealed it doesn't look like something the author pulled out of his rectum. Furthermore, none of the other important male characters have a mysterious past that has be revealed so far.

This does leave the possibility that Tedd's brother is a character that will be revealed later, but Noah has the additional advantage of being Raven's ward. We know that Tedd's parents were at least once close to Raven. He is a reasonable choice to be the guardian of a son of Noriko's who isn't a son of Edward.

Finally, we know the group of Edward, Raven, and Noriko have had something to do with Uryuoms and their eggs. We know that Edward was an undercover operative at the company that created Grace and her brothers, and Max and Jeremy sure look to be the result of U-egg experiments. Because Raven owns Max, one suspects that he was at least tangentially involved with the who Uryuom egg case.

13 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

Alternately, said parent(s) being hunter(s) could be the reason they were up for adoption in the first place. Seems like a rather High-Mortality-Rate occupation.

Then the reason they were up for adoption would likely be that the parents are dead and therefore unlikely to appear. (Although we can't rule that out completely. Also, maybe both parents were hunters but only one died while the second was far enough they didn't contacted him instead of the adoption.)

Hmm, I guess what would make Archie and Noah alternates would be the same reason Grace and General Shade Tail are alternates, Noah would have had to been given the DNA from one of the parents who's alternate provided the DNA for Archie, meaning the second (or third) DNA source would have had to come from someone else.

9 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

Still doesn't change the fact that it's an awful sitcom cliche that's been around since the 80s...

Really?  I haven't noticed.  It doesn't seem all that funny to me.  

3 minutes ago, David Johnston said:
9 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

Still doesn't change the fact that it's an awful sitcom cliche that's been around since the 80s...

Really?  I haven't noticed.  It doesn't seem all that funny to me.

what does being funny have to do with anything?  To quote wikipedia:

A cliché or cliche (/ˈkliːʃeɪ/ or /klɪˈʃeɪ/) is an expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has become overused to the point of losing its original meaning or effect, even to the point of being trite or irritating, especially when at some earlier time it was considered meaningful or novel

14 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

what does being funny have to do with anything?  To quote wikipedia:

A cliché or cliche (/ˈkliːʃeɪ/ or /klɪˈʃeɪ/) is an expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has become overused to the point of losing its original meaning or effect, even to the point of being trite or irritating, especially when at some earlier time it was considered meaningful or novel

And I've never seen a sitcom that had that plot device.  

You've never run across the "character turns out to be related to person who previously betrayed them" scenario? at all? Huh...

maybe it's not as common as i thought it was. that or the shows my step mom has playing on the tv all the time are more obscure than they seemed...

whatever, cliche or not, i still hate it.

10 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

You've never run across the "character turns out to be related to person who previously betrayed them" scenario? at all? Huh...

maybe it's not as common as i thought it was. that or the shows my step mom has playing on the tv all the time are more obscure than they seemed...

whatever, cliche or not, i still hate it.

Its more a soap opera thing.

1 hour ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

This comic implies that Noriko has more than one son. So far, Noah looks to be the best choice among introduced characters. He is important enough so that when the relationship is revealed it doesn't look like something the author pulled out of his rectum. Furthermore, none of the other important male characters have a mysterious past that has be revealed so far.

This does leave the possibility that Tedd's brother is a character that will be revealed later, but Noah has the additional advantage of being Raven's ward. We know that Tedd's parents were at least once close to Raven. He is a reasonable choice to be the guardian of a son of Noriko's who isn't a son of Edward.

Finally, we know the group of Edward, Raven, and Noriko have had something to do with Uryuoms and their eggs. We know that Edward was an undercover operative at the company that created Grace and her brothers, and Max and Jeremy sure look to be the result of U-egg experiments. Because Raven owns Max, one suspects that he was at least tangentially involved with the who Uryuom egg case.

I'm thinking that Susan and Diane are Noriko's children via Uryuom Egg, actually. I think we need to bring back the Wild Theories thread.

2 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

...What's the difference? they're both bad daytyme TV.

Soap operas are refined, concentrated bad daytime TV that never ends. There are some that have had five episodes a week for something like 60 years.

1 minute ago, Arcanimus said:

Soap operas are refined, concentrated bad daytime TV that never ends. There are some that have had five episodes a week for something like 80 years.

wait, then what the heck are sitcoms?

Sitcoms are things like Friends, Malcom in the Middle, Big Bang Theory, Married With Children.

Soap operas are mostly "drama".

5 minutes ago, Arcanimus said:
1 hour ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I'm thinking that Susan and Diane are Noriko's children via Uryuom Egg, actually. I think we need to bring back the Wild Theories thread.

These are all possible of course, but none of these characters look at all asian.

I also dislike tying them back in like that thematically. They all have reasons to be there already, it kinda decreases the depth and breadth of the world instead of increasing it by making things spiral more closely around Noriko. As it is, Noriko's family is important and likely a driving force to the story, but not the only thing that's important.

I'd much rather see a new character fill the role, or have it turn out to be a minor character. Though I don't think there's any minor characters currently that fit.

7 minutes ago, Arcanimus said:

Sitcoms are things like Friends, Malcom in the Middle, Big Bang Theory, Married With Children.

Soap operas are mostly "drama".

There was this one soap that my mom watch called Another World, I vaguely recall for the most part it seeming like a standard soap like a husband hiding an affair from his wife or whatever, but towards the end it turned all weird with some guy apparently being several centuries old trying to resurrect a lost love by awakening her spirit in one of other characters.

There was also another I don't remember the name of that was very twisted having to do with a witch and her living doll trying to kill a girl who apparently had to potential to destroy her, all the while the girl doesn't even know about this and is more interested in being in love with a guy who's also got the lust of another girl that tries everything in her power to steal him away. That one played out soo slow, like Monday someone would be "I'm so going to tell soandso about this" and it wouldn't be till either Friday or the next Monday that anything actually happens so 4-5 days are spent building up the suspense.

16 hours ago, Wildcat said:

The only reason I can see for that not  {Noah being Noriko's child via Uryuom egg} to be the case is that Noah doesn't really look anything like Noriko (or what we think she looks like), which would require another parent.

I'm not convinced, but it could work, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for hints of another of Noriko's children being in Moperville itself.

We have it from Not-Tengu that Noriko looks very much like Nanase. While I wouldn't consider him a reliable source in general, I think on this I'll take his word. Noah looks essentially nothing like Nanase, beyond the basics of being (able to pass as) human.

Noah believes his parents are dead. (I thought I recalled some reference to Noah implying that Damien had killed both his parents, but I couldn't find it again.)

Noah being a child Noriko made via Uryuom-egg in hopes of a proper apprentice after her disappointment with Tedd doesn't fit in several regards. The most obvious is that they aren't together and Noah is Adrian's apprentice. Also, such a scenario would make Noah rather younger than Tedd, but he and Grace have at least one class together - a class that is usually age-segregated (well, year-of-school-segregated) which means he's essentially the same age as Tedd.

15 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I favor the possibility that Tedd's brother (a) is at least a couple years younger and (b) lives elsewhere, probably in Europe - considering that we know Noriko has been monster-hunting there.

25 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

We have it from Not-Tengu that Noriko looks very much like Nanase. While I wouldn't consider him a reliable source in general, I think on this I'll take his word. Noah looks essentially nothing like Nanase, beyond the basics of being (able to pass as) human.

Noah believes his parents are dead. (I thought I recalled some reference to Noah implying that Damien had killed both his parents, but I couldn't find it again.)

Noah being a child Noriko made via Uryuom-egg in hopes of a proper apprentice after her disappointment with Tedd doesn't fit in several regards. The most obvious is that they aren't together and Noah is Adrian's apprentice. Also, such a scenario would make Noah rather younger than Tedd, but he and Grace have at least one class together - a class that is usually age-segregated (well, year-of-school-segregated) which means he's essentially the same age as Tedd.

I favor the possibility that Tedd's brother (a) is at least a couple years younger and (b) lives elsewhere, probably in Europe - considering that we know Noriko has been monster-hunting there.

Noah's age wouldn't necessarily be a limiting factor. We don't know the how long an egg takes to mature and hatch. Given that we don't know Noah's birthdate, (and according to the wiki he's a year younger than Tedd) it's still a possibility. Also consider that its possible that a "dominant" donor may contribute more to the mix in the egg, as appears to be the case with Grace, Hedge, and Guineas, all of whom appear to take many (if not most) of their traits from their human donors.

After some thinking, and embarrasingly remembering that Susan's natural hair color is Blonde, I think its far less likely that Susan and Diane are related to Noriko, and more likely that they are related to Noah. After all, we do have evidence of Noah conjuring magical weapons.