• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

NP: Friday, April 8, 2016

Delilah, is that you? If so, wrong place and wrong time.

You know, the shoulder pads look great with her "fatigues".

There's one dungeon in WoW called the Mana Tombs. It's controlled by a group a rogue Ethereals and they've put up a field at the entrance to prevent Ethereals from the Consortium from entering. When you go there, you see the Consortium Ethereals trying to get past the field and and occasionally one of them will try to enter and for a moment it looks like they succeeded until they suddenly go POOF and one of the technicians is like "Well, back to the drawing board."

7 hours ago, Wanderer said:

So, do robots count for the pacifist run?

If I recall, there is a stealth run, there is for most things.

For a pacifist approach, the first 2 skills I would max are speech and stealth. Then stock up on as many stealth boys as possible. Lockpick and Science would be next. 

If Fallout 4 has taught me anything, it's that robots aren't people and they, like all things you meet in Fallout, must die.

Genocide run, Grace! Feel it within you, you can still turn this train around!

17 hours ago, Howitzer said:

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=444

Video game NPCs: handing out important quests to unqualified adventurers since 1979.

Look at it from the other side: handing out the quest to PC is the best way to have it done. Often only one.

11 hours ago, showler said:

As the protagonist, we never see the pile of "unqualified adventurer" corpses that preceded us and the military boss yelling "we're gonna need another Timmy."

31 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

From a certain point of view...

If anyone doing the job is likely to die, why risk a highly trained expert or someone you know is loyal to you?

Also good point. And if that person succeed, then she obviously wasn't THAT unqualified.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
7 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

If Fallout 4 has taught me anything, it's that robots aren't people and they, like all things you meet in Fallout, must die.

All too many games seem to teach that people aren't people. :danshiftyeyes:

Well they are not. I mean, anything you find inside single player game is controlled by computer - YOUR computer, not something big capable of running true AI - and therefore certainly not people.

Note that only character who is allowed to not take them as people because of knowing this is Deadpool. Most player characters are supposed to be unaware they are player characters.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If anyone doing the job is likely to die, why risk a highly trained expert or someone you know is loyal to you?

Certainly, but you want them to be loyal enough not to backstab you in favor of the first person to offer them a few bottlecaps more than you did. Professionalism/personal honor can substitute for loyalty--they just have to be someone who isn't going to break a contract too lightly.

On 04/09/2016 at 10:48 AM, ijuin said:
On 04/08/2016 at 1:50 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Certainly, but you want them to be loyal enough not to backstab you in favor of the first person to offer them a few bottlecaps more than you did. Professionalism/personal honor can substitute for loyalty--they just have to be someone who isn't going to break a contract too lightly.

Alternatively, you can make sure that there is noone around with such offer.

Also, if the job is "go somewhere and flip the switch", how exactly could that backstab work? Even if the job is to bring something, they can simply assume that getting that thing from you is easier than getting it from where it is now.

In an old computer game I've been playing lately, there's this dragon who says that there's only one creature in the world that can threaten it, and wants me to go kill that creature.

If the creature can threaten the dragon, and I can kill the creature, am I not theoretically able to threaten the dragon?

(In the game, in fact, I am not - there are creatures I am incapable of attacking, period, and there are other creatures that will attack me. This particular dragon is in the former category. So far I've found only one creature in both categories, and none that are in neither.)

1 minute ago, Don Edwards said:

In an old computer game I've been playing lately, there's this dragon who says that there's only one creature in the world that can threaten it, and wants me to go kill that creature.

If the creature can threaten the dragon, and I can kill the creature, am I not theoretically able to threaten the dragon?

(In the game, in fact, I am not - there are creatures I am incapable of attacking, period, and there are other creatures that will attack me. This particular dragon is in the former category. So far I've found only one creature in both categories, and none that are in neither.)

It's comparable to Rock-Paper-Scissors.

17 minutes ago, partner555 said:
19 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

It's comparable to Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Power is not linear. The creature may possess some special attack which will be super effective against the dragon but not against you. Or the creature may be immune against some of Dragon's powers, say hypnotism and you are not (that would explain why you can't attack him, it's not just because developers are lazy :-) ). Not speaking about the possibility you will kill the creature in unfair way.

(EDIT: Him or her. Is it a lady dragon? It is possible that you won't attack the dragon because it's against your honor to attack ladies, while the creature is not bound by such stupid rule? Or is it the dragon who is bound by- wait, that creature is the dragon's ex, isn't it?)

Characters pointing their guns at each other willy-nilly is something that tends to annoy me in video games. If you are not going to use your gun, don't point it at something ( a rule that every reasonable user of guns follows). So it's nice to see Grace have a reasonable reaction to it in panel one.

1 hour ago, Sweveham said:

Characters pointing their guns at each other willy-nilly is something that tends to annoy me in video games. If you are not going to use your gun, don't point it at something ( a rule that every reasonable user of guns follows). So it's nice to see Grace have a reasonable reaction to it in panel one.

SECONDED.

The very minimum that should be required of ANY gun owner should be knowledge of basic gun safety. And while I do not belong to the school that says that video games are the cause of all of today's violence, I do feel that it could improve the genre a lot as a whole if shooter games became more aware of this. Not necessarily to the degree of being sermonising -- but it would be nice if gun owning heroes got small reminders of the fact that it is not necessarily a good idea to wave your gun around like a bollocking toy.

2 hours ago, Sweveham said:

In general they should, but there are some times where keeping the gun out is appropriate. The FNV NPC in this scenario is a military sentry talking to a civilian at a military location with a high likelihood of being attacked by raiders/bandits/Legionares/The Brotherhood (OK that is a low threat)/etc. The game is set in a lawless region where keeping a gun pointed at someone could mean the difference between life and death. 

45 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

SECONDED.

The very minimum that should be required of ANY gun owner should be knowledge of basic gun safety. And while I do not belong to the school that says that video games are the cause of all of today's violence, I do feel that it could improve the genre a lot as a whole if shooter games became more aware of this. Not necessarily to the degree of being sermonising -- but it would be nice if gun owning heroes got small reminders of the fact that it is not necessarily a good idea to wave your gun around like a bollocking toy.

Agree fully. While I'm not a programmer,  such features should be able to be implemented without much trouble. Perhaps have the character lower their gun automatically when the crosshairs are pointed towards a friendly NPC (many games have something similar in which you simply can't fire your gun if it's pointed against someone friendly).  Or have character refuse to talk to the main character unless they holster their weapon first.

2 minutes ago, Sweveham said:

Perhaps have the character lower their gun automatically when the crosshairs are pointed towards a friendly NPC (many games have something similar in which you simply can't fire your gun if it's pointed against someone friendly).  Or have character refuse to talk to the main character unless they holster their weapon first.

I would go with the latter option, the former might interfere with villain runs (some factions start off friendly but are still killable).