• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 DStaal

DStaal

910 Reader

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

Since it's been asked a couple of times, and I made up a key that's been said to be mostly right:

Maxima:
Flight, Armor, Strength, Energy Projection, Speed

Halo:
Flight, Energy Projection, Forcefield, Teleportation, Telekinesis

Dabbler:
Martial Arts, Energy Projection, Forcefield, ?, Sharpshooter, ? (The two questions are somewhat ambiguous between them. Superintelegince, psionics, and gadgetry are possibles. Sorcery (and possibly others) are apparently not shown, so none of these lists should be taken as complete.)

Anvil:
Super Strength, Kinetic Absorption, Martial Arts

Harem:
Self-duplication, Teleportation, Martial Arts, Superstrength.

Peggy:
Sharpshooter.

Feel free to correct as it comes up, or to speculate on how they work. ;)

#2 Lea Plath

Lea Plath

Everyday I'm Shufflin'

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  • Interests:Art, writing, Doctor Who, My Little Pony, Gaming and awesome stuff.
  • Steam Profile:TrilbyBunny

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:49 AM

Well. We know what it is that gives Halo her powers. An ancient artefact.

Trilby is the Idiot Highlander!

Damnit Trilby!

People allowed to damn me: Lyre Harper, Toana (the original damner), Trip, DaveK, Killerfish, Tyris, sometimes Zemro.

Purple is too mainstream. As of 16 of December, all I say in Pink is considered silly and to be ignored.

#3 DaveK

DaveK

Not-So-Cynical Brit

• Members
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

Indeed - it's what she mentions in the last panel here.
Posted Image

My YouTube - currently featuring Star Control 2

Please don't do that ever again, Dave.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

#4 thedugan

thedugan

Extreme 910 Reader

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:30 AM

...apparently, the superpower involves clothing changes. :)

#5 The Old Hack

The Old Hack

Pundit of Pedantry

• Moderators
  • 6,107 posts
  • Favorite Comic:Girl Genius

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:12 PM

Sydney's tube contains the spiked mace shown here.
"I'm wrong all the time. It's how I get to right." -- Gil Grissom, CSI

Courtesy rules for the EGS forums may be found here

#6 Youwillneverknow

Youwillneverknow

The Bunny with Scales

• Members
  • 4,454 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

I'm Surprised Maxima doesn't have Martial Arts Training
2000 Strips Slain
Erepublik: The New World Order
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
THE GOLD IS FOR THE CHILDREN-BELLE BONNET

#7 MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE

Avid 910 Reader

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:08 AM

C'mon, everyone knows Sydney's tube contains - *shot*

In all seriousness, I've been reading the comic since before that info was redacted from the cast page, so I actually -do- know what's in there. For the author's sake I'll keep it quiet. I'm interested to see how it's going to be introduced in-comic. 8D
http://moomanibe.deviantart.com/ I have a deviantart page. It has many arts.

#8 DStaal

DStaal

910 Reader

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:54 AM

Good point. I wonder if Anvil's is 'super martial arts' of some sort, while Maxima would just have 'normal' fighting skills.

(And I'm not so interested in the 'why' of the powers: Either that will be revealed, or it won't. The 'how' is more interesting: What the limits are, how they work, what weaknesses that means, etc. The sources are background.)

#9 DaveB

DaveB

910 Reader

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

Those little character badges aren't wholly inclusive as there's not enough room in a lot of cases. The number of 1 and 2 point powers that Dabbler has would extend far past the boundaries of that table cell. I thought they'd be cute and I didn't really think people would spend a lot of time on them. Obviously some people are quite engaged though so I may need to rethink their layout a little.

Maxima does have some martial arts training, it's just not one of her primary 'abilities.' Also keep in mind that even having 1 pip is kind of a high bar. Anyone can pick up and fire a gun, even having some formalized training doesn't get you to the 1st pip. Unless someone's said "Wow that guy is a pretty good shot." You're not on the board. That's the problem with condensing the whole range of super abilities into 5 ranks, where the 5th rank is being able to shoot other bullets out of the air or do a triple ricochet and still land a bullseye, the first one needs to be better than average.

So yeah Max probably has 1 pip in martial arts, at least at this point in the story. It's hard for her to find sparring partners, but now that she's surrounded with other supers she'll probably improve a bit.

I need to get that key finished and put it on the page.
Posted Image

#10 Knight

Knight

Knight of the fort

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Way to many for me to remember and write down.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:00 AM

I wonder what Amorphos' full powers are?

and just what is brook's powers and code name, many seem to think they are heat or fire based just on the h one her collar. but what are they basing that on? and please don't say it's her red hair that would just be insulting to our (limited) Intellengence.
Sanity is for those that don't want to face reality.

I love mankind. ( it's people i can't stand.)

#11 DStaal

DStaal

910 Reader

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:04 AM

and just what is brook's powers and code name, many seem to think they are heat or fire based just on the h one her collar. but what are they basing that on? and please don't say it's her red hair that would just be insulting to our (limited) Intellengence.

I think they are basing it on stuff Dave said in the comments of the comic. He said she had heat-based powers, and that he didn't have a good 'super' name for her.

#12 Knight

Knight

Knight of the fort

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Way to many for me to remember and write down.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

I think they are basing it on stuff Dave said in the comments of the comic. He said she had heat-based powers, and that he didn't have a good 'super' name for her.

..... I really should read the comments more often...
Sanity is for those that don't want to face reality.

I love mankind. ( it's people i can't stand.)

#13 DStaal

DStaal

910 Reader

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

Ok, time for a real 'speculation' question, and one that I doubt will ever be addressed in the comic proper...

Harem can't transport living matter besides herself, per the description. What limits does that have? What constitutes 'herself'? On one end of the scale, that could allow her to be disease-free in a plague zone: Just teleport every couple of seconds, and any viruses or bacteria would be scrambled.

On the other end... What would happen if she were pregnant? Early term? Mid term? Late term? I could see some major angst if there were some max, and she could teleport safely while pregnant for several months, and then suddenly it causes a miscarriage. Or it could be easy birth control, if early enough. (Or it could be that being inside her is enough to make she doesn't cause problems, so it doesn't matter at all.)

Thoughts?

#14 DaveB

DaveB

910 Reader

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

Wow the pregnancy speculation leads to some pretty horrifying images in my mind. It's probably safe to say that's not going to come up for a while though.
Posted Image

#15 DStaal

DStaal

910 Reader

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:44 PM

Wow the pregnancy speculation leads to some pretty horrifying images in my mind. It's probably safe to say that's not going to come up for a while though.

I figured it wouldn't. But I thought it might be something interesting to debate.

And I'm trying to get some speculation going here. Author word-of-god doesn't help breed random crazy theories. (Unless, of course, the author is good at being evilly enigmatic. B) )

#16 DaveB

DaveB

910 Reader

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:50 PM

Well I will say this though, Harem is obsessed with new experiences. She can literally do 5 things at once, considering many of us can barely do one thing at once you'd think that anything more than that would satisfy most people, but for her it's the opposite, 5 things at once isn't enough, she wants to go horse racing and motorcycle racing and drag car racing and foot racing and base jumping all at the same time. She wants to do things in specific combinations that no one else can. Someone says "skydiving is better than sex" her first thought is "I should go skydiving and have sex at the same time, and not have sex while skydiving like anyone else would have to."

So all that being said, it's possible she'll want to get pregnant just to have the experience of having done it. (Which of course is a terrible reason to have a kid, but then raising the kid would be a whole new set of experiences as well.) It would probably be pretty aggravating to have her as a mom though. "This is my dad and this is one of my 5 moms." Not to mention that you'd probably have no privacy if she could just pop in anywhere from across town to check up on you. "No no dear, pull, then twist away, the bra will pop right off." "Mom, get out of my bedroom! Sorry about that Sandy."
Posted Image

#17 DaveK

DaveK

Not-So-Cynical Brit

• Members
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

Given the name Amorphous, I suspect he's some kind of Mr Fantastic style rubber man. Especially given what he says here about remembering not to be stretchy.
Posted Image

My YouTube - currently featuring Star Control 2

Please don't do that ever again, Dave.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

#18 DStaal

DStaal

910 Reader

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

So all that being said, it's possible she'll want to get pregnant just to have the experience of having done it. (Which of course is a terrible reason to have a kid, but then raising the kid would be a whole new set of experiences as well.) It would probably be pretty aggravating to have her as a mom though. "This is my dad and this is one of my 5 moms." Not to mention that you'd probably have no privacy if she could just pop in anywhere from across town to check up on you. "No no dear, pull, then twist away, the bra will pop right off." "Mom, get out of my bedroom! Sorry about that Sandy."

Someone should ask her if she'd be willing to be a surrogate mother. Enough to let her feel being pregnant, and even possibly a bit of time with the kid, but she wouldn't be stuck with one either. I think it'd work well for her. (Assuming no problems with her teleportation.)

#19 DragonKing

DragonKing

910Neophyte

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Favorite Comic:Varies

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

Actually since it isn't until a bit before birth/during birth the body sees the child as part of itself, with the occasional exception, the child would be teleported with her. The question is whether or not if the original is pregnant, would the reflect in the clones, where each of them is now pregnant, or if just one clone is pregnant and she gets recalled.

#20 frozenchicken

frozenchicken

Slightly less chicken

• Members
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:20 AM

"This is my dad and this is one of my 5 moms." Not to mention that you'd probably have no privacy if she could just pop in anywhere from across town to check up on you. "No no dear, pull, then twist away, the bra will pop right off." "Mom, get out of my bedroom! Sorry about that Sandy."

For some reason, my default assumption was that Harem's child would be a daughter. Which made me wonder why you so quickly determined that she was going to be a lesbian.

Gender ambiguity is fun. -.<

Bananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananas are rich in Potassium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users