• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Story: Monday April 18, 2016

Yep, I officially have no idea what is going on anymore. I've known for weeks that Sirleck must have been involved with this whole incident somehow, but it seems Volty and Abner are double-crossing Sirleck? I still don't know if Volty is doing this of his own volition or if he's working for someone else, possibly even Pandora, although that does seem to be rather unlikely. Well, at least we know the "White Immortal"'s name now. Voltaire, huh? I don't see much of a connection between him and the historical figure, so I guess his name is supposed to be highly ironic.

You've been waiting for six years to introduce Voltaire, Dan? It seems like he might become a greater-scale villain like Damien was back in the day. I'm certainly looking forward to what role he is going to play in the future.

8 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

I though Dan retconned "Vampire" to replace "Aberration" as the umbrella term for mages wanting immortality badly enough to prey on other humans?

While Dame Tara and Andrea seem to use "Vampire" in this sense, they are also talking about "Ancients" instead of "Immortals". Different terminology on other half of the Earth seem like simpler explanation than retcon.

7 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

I though Dan retconned "Vampire" to replace "Aberration" as the umbrella term for mages wanting immortality badly enough to prey on other humans?

Aberration is likely still the term that Immortals prefer to use, but as Susan stated, describing how the aberration feeds immediately makes people think vampire. There's likely many variations of aberration and vampires are a relatively common one. Bodysnatchers like Sirleck are more of a parasitic aberration.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

While Dame Tara and Andrea seem to use "Vampire" in this sense, they are also talking about "Ancients" instead of "Immortals". Different terminology on other half of the Earth seem like simpler explanation than retcon.

I think they get called both. The immortals call them aberrations, and the government probably does as well because it's more "proper" and most other people would call them vampires

3 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

I think they get called both. The immortals call them aberrations, and the government probably does as well because it's more "proper" and most other people would call them vampires

I'm pretty sure vampires and aberrations aren't synonyms. All vampires are aberrations, but not all aberrations are vampires. It's really a matter of taxonomy.

29 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
41 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

See Dan Commentary...

That doesn't need to mean he's retconning the aberration name. Can mean either that vampires would be used as kind of aberrations, or that main eight will start calling them that without changing it's not "official" term, or can refer to griffins calling them vampires ... we will need to wait for what Edward will say.

17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That doesn't need to mean he's retconning the aberration name. Can mean either that vampires would be used as kind of aberrations, or that main eight will start calling them that without changing it's not "official" term, or can refer to griffins calling them vampires ... we will need to wait for what Edward will say.

The fact that he states that Susan will still get grumpy when people say vampire instead of aberration pretty much confirms that this isn't a retcon, it just means only a select few may likely still say aberration; like Edward, Helena and Demetrius.

4 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:
4 hours ago, Wildcat said:

See Dan Commentary...

All that says is that he's decided to stop avoiding calling them vampires. I find it more in character for certain groups to call them aberrations and others vampires. There's no point in completely retconning calling them aberrations when it still makes sense. 

+ Susan grumpiness 

20 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

I just realized that Abner may be an ancestor to Schlock Mercenary's Captain Tagon.

He's getting paid twice for the same job.

I don't think it's hereditary trait. In fact, I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned to be based on The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. So, more likely, Abner is using rules which will later be collected into that famous book.

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

According to the Maxim list on Ovalwiki, Howard Taylor hasn't codified all 70 yet.

I believe he's doing so as part of the Schlock Mercenary RPG Kickstarter stuff.

1 hour ago, Matoyak said:

I believe he's doing so as part of the Schlock Mercenary RPG Kickstarter stuff.

One of the reasons I supported that kickstarter...  :)

I dunno, there's something to be said for leaving the writer room for future ideas and new directions.  Once all of the Maxims are codified, he can't just come up with a new one as the plot/joke demands.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:23 PM, CritterKeeper said:

I dunno, there's something to be said for leaving the writer room for future ideas and new directions.  Once all of the Maxims are codified, he can't just come up with a new one as the plot/joke demands.

Why does this make me think of The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition?