• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
CritterKeeper

Things You Find Amusing

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

The local public radio station gives thanks to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation fairly regularly.  Now, I'm not so juvenile as to find that name amusing on its own, but every time I hear it, I am reminded of fond memories of the days of newsgroups, reading rec.arts.startrek.  A guy who'd post there was named Brian Woodcock, and his .sig file at the end of each post declared, "Yes, splinterlips, that *is* my real name!"

Near the city of Port Angeles, Washington, two roads intersect: Woodcock and Kitchen Dick.

Earlier today I was buying food from a store, and on my way back I was watching this girl, probably around 7 or so, playing with her pet duck. Somehow the young lady taught the thing how to do an odd waddling dance, and fly up and nestle on her shoulder like a a parrot would. Kudos to the kid, she's good with birds apparently.

As much as we joke about Dan with comic time vs real time, I just realized he may not be the worse of the comics I normally read.   The Whiteboard I suspect holds that record right now.  As of today it has spend 2 years 5 months 17 days real time on one day of comic time.  Starting here and ending here.  Actually there is at least one more comic in that sequence, and we don't know if the day is over.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

As much as we joke about Dan with comic time vs real time, I just realized he may not be the worse of the comics I normally read.   The Whiteboard I suspect holds that record right now.  As of today it has spend 2 years 5 months 17 days real time on one day of comic time.  Starting here and ending here.  Actually there is at least one more comic in that sequence, and we don't know if the day is over.

Grrl Power opened with a few pages of current time, and then started on a flashback. Four years and a couple months later - with twice-a-week full-page updates - it finished the first day of the flashback.

I think that may be the slowest one day. (Which must be restricted to comics that have had at least one clearly-identifiable day.)

The slowest month... I dunno. Freefall may be in the running.

13 hours ago, mlooney said:

If we assume Grace's Dream sequence started early Friday morning, then it's taken 2 years, 7 months and 2 days to cover just 2 and not quite half days. the night of the card tournament took 10 months, and Elliot and Ashley's date took 14 months and 2 weeks which I'm pretty sure is the longest Dan has taken to cover just a few hours in comic.

Then there's the fact that Dan ran Playing with Dolls along side a good portion of Squirrel Prophet, so he was covering both Friday night and Saturday morning/afternoon simultaneously and then Question Mark ran a bit with So a Date covering the rest of Saturday morning/night.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

If we assume Grace's Dream sequence started early Friday morning, then it's taken 2 years, 7 months and 2 days to cover just 2 and not quite half days. the night of the card tournament took 10 months, and Elliot and Ashley's date took 14 months and 2 weeks which I'm pretty sure is the longest Dan has taken to cover just a few hours in comic.

Then there's the fact that Dan ran Playing with Dolls along side a good portion of Squirrel Prophet, so he was covering both Friday night and Saturday morning/afternoon simultaneously and then Question Mark ran a bit with So a Date covering the rest of Saturday morning/night.

I think the upshot I'm going to take from that is I don't want to hear people complaining about a 6 second combat round taking 15+ minutes to simulate. 

OK, comparing web comic time and table top game mechanics might not be fair, but that is what I'm spending a lot of time staring at.  Pretty much my life right now is

1. Working on Edge of Imperial Space
  2. Reading Web comics/Select blogs/here
  3. Sleeping
  4. Daily ablutions.
  5. Eating
  6. Pooping

Pretty much in that order.

Just now, mlooney said:

I think the upshot I'm going to take from that is I don't want to hear people complaining about a 6 second combat round taking 15+ minutes to simulate. 

OK, comparing web comic time and table top game mechanics might not be fair, but that is what I'm spending a lot of time staring at.  Pretty much my life right now is

1. Working on Edge of Imperial Space
  2. Reading Web comics/Select blogs/here
  3. Sleeping
  4. Daily ablutions.
  5. Eating
  6. Pooping

Pretty much in that order.

Hehe, that reminds me of a particular battle my Heavy Gear group had, took over a year to complete. Mind you we did only have 1 session a week so 57 session at 3 hours a session to simulate 1 or 2 turns probably isn't comparable to to webcomics and there was also the fact that the battle was huge, it was a prison break, but the prison was an absolute fortress with artillery turrets and several platoons of hovertanks and frames of various design that the GM had to micromanage. We had our own army as well with tanks and gears that we had to micromanage. It was the source of a pretty epic maneuver that had one of our guys jump his gear onto a passing hovertank and ride it like a surfboard while he destroyed 4 others.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Hehe, that reminds me of a particular battle my Heavy Gear group had, took over a year to complete. Mind you we did only have 1 session a week so 57 session at 3 hours a session to simulate 1 or 2 turns probably isn't comparable to to webcomics and there was also the fact that the battle was huge, it was a prison break, but the prison was an absolute fortress with artillery turrets and several platoons of hovertanks and frames of various design that the GM had to micromanage. We had our own army as well with tanks and gears that we had to micromanage. It was the source of a pretty epic maneuver that had one of our guys jump his gear onto a passing hovertank and ride it like a surfboard while he destroyed 4 others.

I really admire your group's commitment! O.O

Just now, The Old Hack said:

I really admire your group's commitment! O.O

The entire campaign went from 2002 to 2011, most combat sessions only lasted 3-6 weeks depending on what was going on.

An acquaintance made a post to Facebook:

"PSA Din't come to Adler to have sex in your car!  Talking about you Toyota Corolla!!!"

There were the predictable replies from people apologizing, or boasting, as if it had been them.  There were comments about the high cost of parking in that area versus getting a motel room in the suburbs, or suggesting that a bonus was owed.  Suggestions that the occupants were really hunting pokemon, or celebrating catching a rare one.  Someone asked who the Corolla was having sex with.  But the one that made me laugh aloud was,

"You could have joined in -- there were about five of us in there!"

I drive a Toyota Corolla, and I can barely imagine two people doing anything in there, the mental image of five all trying to coordinate....

As I have said a few times, I'm not a sports person.  The fact that I say things like "the sports-ball game for tall people" as a joking example.

Turns out the Howard Tayler, the writer and artist for Schlock Mercenary, isn't one either. He's just a lot funnier about it than I am.

People have been leaving green apples at Harry Caray's grave.  Apparently, while he was the iconic announcer for the Cubs, he commented, "Sure as God made little green apples, someday the Cubs will win the World Series!"  It's a relatively well-known (if now somewhat old-fashioned) phrase, but the fans picked up on it and remembered it, all these years later.  They just had an interview with his widow where the apples came up, and played a clip of the comment, which looked like it was from maybe the 70s or 80s.

I'm also amused by all the special deals local businesses are offering to celebrate.  Chicagoland McDonalds will be offering 10 McNuggets for $1.08, and a few stores are offering 10.8% discounts, in honor of the 108 years since the last time the Cubs won the World Series.  We can get free cheesecake at Eli's or discounted food at Chipotle.  Some of the deals require you to wear Cubs gear (T-shirts, caps, etc) but some are for anyone, whether they forked over dough to prove they're fans or not.

Stephen Colbert tweeted his congratulations, adding, "See you in 2124!"

I don't usually follow the live-action adaptations of Disney films but I find it amusing that people are reacting so negatively to the new "Beast", guys, it only looked that smooth because of the animation style, beast boy will look like he stepped out of the uncanny valley. In fact I really like that they did an overhaul on the character again, this time he actually looks like he has some real power behind him, strength, and more importantly menace. His rougher appearance in the upcoming release looks monstrous in the "powerful animal that can bring you down with a single blow" way. It still looks a lot more menacing and fitting than the Cocteau 1948 version. (Though realistically speaking, I still find that one as the best interpretation of the story)

7 hours ago, Red Regent said:

but I find it amusing that people are reacting so negatively to the new "Beast", guys, it only looked that smooth because of the animation style, beast boy will look like he stepped out of the uncanny valley

Yeah, in every rendition I've ever seen he looked so much better - and more real - before he got changed back to human. (Haven't seen the new one, probably won't.)