• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
CritterKeeper

Things You Find Amusing

Are we actually required to have birthdays at this point?

To me they just seem like a hassle.

To a kid turning four, one year is a quarter of their life span and thus a very big deal.

To the kid turning twenty, one year is five percent of their lifespan.  Not such a big deal, and they are really just waiting for 21, the last Birthday that actually means anything.  Unless, of course, you are coming into an inheritance, approaching retirement, or running for office.  Then birthdays become important again.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
spelling

11 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I was born on March 14th. Possibly because pi is needed in a lot of hacks.

WHAT! You have a birthday and don't tell anyone until afterward? What kind of person are you! You're supposed to tell us these things in a timely manner!

But since you didn't...

Happy berated birthday.

ok I'll go hide now

8 hours ago, Tobyc said:

Highlight of tonight's Family Feud:

Grant: Name something you might find in ancient Greece.
Contestant: Ruins

It was the top answer with 27, which struck me as really stupid because the buildings wouldn't be ruined yet in ancient Greece.

Well, arguably they had ruins from still earlier ages that by now have sunk so far into ruination that they have either vanished, not been found yet or subsumed into the Danish Ministry of Education.

The Classical Greeks, that is, the Greeks of the late Bronze Age who wrote with the Greek Alphabet, lived in the city-states, fought the Persians, and eventually produced Alexander the Great, were the generation that followed a multigenerational Great Depression.  They had stable governments, productive agriculture, and innovative artisans.  But they grew up on the legends of how much better everything was in the old days.  So when they recorded the Homeric legends, their history became the stuff of comic books.

I just heard a bunch of banging around coming from the back of the house. Mrs. Prof is already asleep, so I assumed it was the cat causing some kind of mischief. The only problem with my hypothesis was that I couldn't find the cat. He wasn't in the bedroom, the guest room, or any other of his usual haunts. I double-checked the bedroom and saw a lump under the covers, so I assumed it was the cat and that I'd been hearing things. I gave up my search and proceeded to the bathroom.

When I turned on the light, I found a very guilty looking cat. He'd been playing with the toilet plunger. He'd knocked it over and had been swatting it between the toilet and the bathtub. Lord only knows what he was after, but I'm not gonna let him lick me for a day or two minimum.

20 hours ago, Tobyc said:

Highlight of tonight's Family Feud:

Grant: Name something you might find in ancient Greece.
Contestant: Ruins

It was the top answer with 27, which struck me as really stupid because the buildings wouldn't be ruined yet in ancient Greece.

In Family Feud, the objective is not to choose the answer that is the most logical, but rather to guess what answers the people polled have selected. Facts don't matter--what matters is whether the poll agrees with you. This makes it a bit like predicting the stock market, since you are trying to predict what the other actors (investors) are doing.

7 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

I couldn't finish the video...

I really, really do not blame you. Linkara has a knack for finding truly awful stuff and ripping it to shreds. That particular comic is nails-on-chalkboard agonising.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

In Family Feud, the objective is not to choose the answer that is the most logical, but rather to guess what answers the people polled have selected. Facts don't matter--what matters is whether the poll agrees with you. This makes it a bit like predicting the stock market, since you are trying to predict what the other actors (investors) are doing.

Doesn't make it less amusing that a quarter of the survey probably misread the question (I guess it's possible someone had the above points in mind). And it didn't seem like the contestant or Grant saw anything off about the answer.

It's far from the first time I've seen them do that:

"Name something paparazzi might hide behind." "A camera." (Since hiding behind a camera and nothing else would just make a paparazzo more visible.)

"Name something that might go wrong when singing karaoke." "Forgetting the lyrics" (Though in this case Grant did point out the problem, that the lyrics are supposed to be right there on a screen.)

2 hours ago, Tobyc said:

"Name something that might go wrong when singing karaoke." "Forgetting the lyrics" (Though in this case Grant did point out the problem, that the lyrics are supposed to be right there on a screen.)

To be fair, to be good at karaoke you have to know the piece well enough to remember all the key changes and flourishes and such.  Only one or two lines are on screen at a time, so if you forget where you are in the song you could sing the wrong version of a line and then have to make an obvious switch to the right one.

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I really, really do not blame you. Linkara has a knack for finding truly awful stuff and ripping it to shreds. That particular comic is nails-on-chalkboard agonising.

When Christ starts scowling and the next bit looks to be Him coming off the cross to lay down some smack talk of His own, I had watched all I cared to, meaning no offense to the video channel. 

Some things are simply not worth the seconds, minutes or hours of my life required to take them in.

49 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

When Christ starts scowling and the next bit looks to be Him coming off the cross to lay down some smack talk of His own, I had watched all I cared to, meaning no offense to the video channel. 

Some things are simply not worth the seconds, minutes or hours of my life required to take them in.

I agree absolutely.

Damn you, now you've gotten me hooked on The Whiteboard and I've been on an archive binge all week! :D

As for the page you linked, Doc certainly does arcane things when brewing his caffeinated beverages, but the "trademark evil laugh" thing does not seem to be his style so much.

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

As for the page you linked, Doc certainly does arcane things when brewing his caffeinated beverages, but the "trademark evil laugh" thing does not seem to be his style so much.

That is part of what makes it funny.