• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
CritterKeeper

Things You Find Amusing

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

Last TWB post for a while

BOO. HISS. WE WANT MORE OF THEM.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I know the feeling.

Oscar Mayer won't even read my e-mails telling them which movies should get best picture.

Maybe if you tried to suggest something a bit more recent than Gomer Pyle and the Three Stooges.

The Downton Abbey marathon is interrupted periodically by pledge breaks.  One of the gifts for larger pledge amounts is a set of DVDs which come with a signal pull bell, just like the ones the Family use to summon the Staff from their basement lair on the show.

What's most amusing is my own reaction, in that I find myself sorely tempted.  I can picture hooking it up to the doorbell, or with a wireless remote, or even running a cord from my bedroom to the kitchen or living room, just to be able to show it off to guests.  Totally useless, yet fun to imagine uses for!

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

The Downton Abbey marathon is interrupted periodically by pledge breaks.  One of the gifts for larger pledge amounts is a set of DVDs which come with a signal pull bell, just like the ones the Family use to summon the Staff from their basement lair on the show.

What's most amusing is my own reaction, in that I find myself sorely tempted.  I can picture hooking it up to the doorbell, or with a wireless remote, or even running a cord from my bedroom to the kitchen or living room, just to be able to show it off to guests.  Totally useless, yet fun to imagine uses for!

This is so incredibly common, especially amongst fanboys/girls. I once came within a hair's breadth of sinking about half a thousand dollars I could ill spare into a replica of Sting, Bilbo's old sword which he passed on to Frodo. And a blogger I was rather fond of fell completely in love with a ridiculous helmet from the Final Fantasy series. I mean, at least that British acquaintance of mine I met years ago who had reproductions of every Doctor Who outfit existing at the time had some clothes to wear!

Just now, The Old Hack said:

This is so incredibly common, especially amongst fanboys/girls. I once came within a hair's breadth of sinking about half a thousand dollars I could ill spare into a replica of Sting, Bilbo's old sword which he passed on to Frodo. And a blogger I was rather fond of fell completely in love with a ridiculous helmet from the Final Fantasy series. I mean, at least that British acquaintance of mine I met years ago who had reproductions of every Doctor Who outfit existing at the time had some clothes to wear!

I hear you. I would have a whole room full of 1:18 scale die-cast IndyCar and Formula One cars if I could afford them. I've already got three wall cases of smaller 1:36 Kinsmart replica cars (and a "parking lot" of them waiting for more cases) that are much more detailed than any of the Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars I had as a kid. Good thing they're under $10 at CVS. If they were any more expensive, Mrs. Prof would try and run me over with them.

This set of 4 TWB strips.

1st, establishing that Swampy has socks:

autowb825.gif

2nd: Showing that he still has socks:

autotwb2325.png

And this explaining what the "old socks" are

autotwb2323.png

And what makes it really funny is this

autotwb2324.png

You know what I find amusing about The Whiteboard?

Doc run a paintball supply and repair shop, and yet he's always buying the paint he uses at Red's field from Red instead of bringing his own.

Though to be honest, I'm surprised Doc and Roger haven't attempted to manufacture their own paintballs.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Doc run a paintball supply and repair shop, and yet he's always buying the paint he uses at Red's field from Red instead of bringing his own.

Well yesterday, webcomic time, they did bring 3 pallets of paintballs to the field.  Other than that, I think they buy paint to help Red stay in business.

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

Well yesterday, webcomic time, they did bring 3 pallets of paintballs to the field.  Other than that, I think they buy paint to help Red stay in business.

Wait. I just got past the part where Doc OD's on caffeine again to run back to the shop for paint, and then goes into a caffeine withdraw/sleepwalk and takes over the field with a prototype marker minigun. That was "yesterday"? I had seen bits and pieces from you posting here, but I was under the impression Swampy was moving a second time.

Welp, at least the comic does a pretty good job with breaking the fourth wall without breaking the fourth wall.

autotwb2036.png

Is Red talking about the players waiting for the next game to start, or the readers waiting for the next story?  We may never know.... ;)

Update: Just got caught up, yep, it's taken that long from the first mention of moving to actually getting Swampy packed up.

Doc's may have started the comic 4 months after Dan, started EGS, but I'm pretty sure Doc has Dan beat on how long a day can be stretched out..

Could have been worse, he could have tried to install Gentoo, where everything is done via compile from source code.  Lord help you if you screw up the compile time flags.

scraps002.gif

And yes, this sound like it might be a Bad Thing to do.

scraps007.gif

A bit of gallows humor.

At the reception following my mother's funeral, a lot of us were discussing our experiences taking care of dementia patients.

One cousin of mine was talking about a woman who walked past her mailbox into a nearby National Park where she wandered for two hours.  They had to call the national guard to help find her.

Hearing this story I could not resist asking "How far can a lost person wander into the woods?"

Hide contents

The answer is, of course, halfway. After that the person is walking out of the woods.

Today's TWB. Swampy calls Nintendo's Stadium Events junk:

1. Stadium Events (Nintendo Entertainment System)
Price Range: $13,000 -- $41,300; $10,000 for the box alone

Why So Expensive?: Stadium Events was released by Bandai in 1987 as one of the few games available in America that was made for the company's Family Fun Fitness mat, a soft, plastic controller you walked, ran, and jumped on to make the characters move.

Nintendo bought the rights to the game and the Fitness mat in 1988 and re-released them as World Class Track Meet and the Power Pad controller. To avoid consumer confusion, Nintendo pulled all copies of Stadium Events from shelves and had them destroyed, but not before approximately 200 carts had already been sold. Of those 200, collectors believe that only 10 to 20 complete copies of the game exist today, making them a real rarity.

Stadium Events recently made headlines with two high-profile eBay sales. A North Carolina woman was cleaning out her garage and found an old Nintendo and a handful of games, including Stadium Events. She put them up on eBay without high expectations and was amazed to see the bids steadily climb up to $13,105.

While the game itself is valuable, the winning bidder was most interested in the cardboard box it came in. Since most kids threw the box away after tearing open a new game, intact boxes for any game are really hard to come by, but especially so for Stadium Events. Empty Stadium Event boxes have been known to sell for $10,000 alone.

After hearing of the success of this eBay seller, a man in Kansas dug up a factory-sealed copy of the game that he thought was worthless. However, his game became only the second known sealed copy in existence. He'd purchased the game in 1987, but could never find the Fitness mat to go with it. It was still sealed because he'd meant to return it. When his eBay auction ended on February 26, 2010, the game sold for an amazing $41,300.

The same game repackaged by Nintendo, World Class Track Meet, generally sells for less than $3 on eBay.

I think Doc took some inspiration from the part that I bold/italic/underlined, and if Swampy just tosses it, I'ma smack him! ;)

On 3/29/2017 at 10:48 PM, mlooney said:

For those of you that are reading The Whiteboard and are not a Patreon of him, you should be.

Sadly, I can't be a Patron of every artist whose work I enjoy.  I try to have a rotating slot which changes every month or two, so I can spread the love.  Perhaps once the current story ends and I can read all of it within a month, it'll be Doc's turn.

9 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Sadly, I can't be a Patron of every artist whose work I enjoy.  I try to have a rotating slot which changes every month or two, so I can spread the love.  Perhaps once the current story ends and I can read all of it within a month, it'll be Doc's turn.

In this case, that would defeat the reason to be a Patreon, in that he's doing previews of the next story arc now, plus asking for advice on Cara's coworkers.  But I see your point.  I classify Patreon as one of my utility bills and have a mental limit on how much to spend there.

17 minutes ago, mlooney said:

In this case, that would defeat the reason to be a Patreon, in that he's doing previews of the next story arc now, plus asking for advice on Cara's coworkers.  But I see your point.  I classify Patreon as one of my utility bills and have a mental limit on how much to spend there.

Oh, so it's not like the story of what Jake thought Doc's date would be like, which seems to be a permanent Patreon-only thing?

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

Oh, so it's not like the story of what Jake thought Doc's date would be like, which seems to be a permanent Patreon-only thing?

Right.  As an example, the female "husky" that when running by on April 1st is Mikittok, one of Cara's coworkers.  Doc, the human, is saying that not all of the series will be done early, but 2 or 3 strips per week should be coming out, with the series being active in the main strip in about a month, human time.

29 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

23 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Right.  As an example, the female "husky" that when running by on April 1st is Mikittok, one of Cara's coworkers.  Doc, the human, is saying that not all of the series will be done early, but 2 or 3 strips per week should be coming out, with the series being active in the main strip in about a month, human time.

Hmm, this is the sort of thing that tends to backfire with me.  My thinking is along the lines of, "Well if I'm going to see it anyway, what's the point?  Maybe I should wait until there are a few more Patreon-only things to see before I make it this one's turn."  Granted it might be fun to see the characters developing, but if it's like most Patreon sites, that stuff will still be there later.

I know, it's not about the goodies, it's about supporting the artists, but that just gets back to the budgeting issue.

3 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I know, it's not about the goodies, it's about supporting the artists, but that just gets back to the budgeting issue.

I hear you there.

Yeah, I read a fair number of webcomics and several have patreon pages, but the reason I only support Dan is not just because of budgeting, it's also because I'm active in this community as well.

Of course like most double ended weapons, the Bat'leth is rather silly.  Weapons that you hold at that center of mass mean that you are going to smack it into your self.  Yes, I know there are methods of using it so you don't, but some one with a traditional sword of the same length is going to out range the Bat'leth user by several feet.  And let's not even get into the range advantage some one that uses a pointy bit as it's offensive end.  Some one with a rapier would nail a Bat'leth user before they could get their first "Your mother has a smooth forehead" off.

And, yes, I've seen some one that claimed he was a "master" of a Bat'leth vs a middle of the road SCA light weapon user "spar".  If spar is what you call a fencer using a fanboi as a moving target.