• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
CritterKeeper

Things You Find Amusing

My apologies. I keep forgetting this site exists,

So for the last 2 weeks I've been obsessively playing Sunless Sea. It's one of them Roguelike RPG thingies set in an underground environment with more than a few nods and homages to the Lovecraft Mythos. So you know, Go insane, eat you crew and whatnot. What was amusing was what happened a while ago:

While on a return trip on my banged up and barely afloat starter ship the Sea Beggar I was caught in a winter gale. Engine is slowed, and fuel consumption skyrockets. Not a problem since i had plenty of fuel on me at the time. Bad news was I was on my last rations and the nearest port (that I was aware of considering the map was still mostly unexplored) was probably 20 minutes away. It isn't all gloom and doom though; I managed to find a giant jellyfish with a human face on it. Even my peashooter for a main armament on my ship can kill it, and we did and just in time too. The hull was at 4/75, and the crew were starving. I wasn't out of the woods just yet as I got a bad roll and instead of getting rations that I could use, I ended up getting a "Strange Catch". Now Zee life (that is to say the various animals that live in the subterranean ocean called the Zee) isn't necessarily completely inedible but "strange catches" are a 50/50 shot.

My crew were starving, so we'd basically try anything once. I opted to have the crew eat the strange catch in a bid to stave off hunger. So one of my intrepid deckhands puts on her brave-panties and eats it. The game then described what happened next; the strange meat was cooked about as well as we could at the time, she sat down and took the first bite. She paused for a moment, composed herself, courteously excused herself from the table, went below deck, and promptly threw herself into the ship's furnace and burning to death. Her dying words were apparently "Better to die than taste that again!"

What's funny was that immediately after that we ran into some pirates and sank them and managed to get several crates of food, so her "brave" sacrifice ended up for naught. What a typical day in the Zee I guess... 

For those that read TWB, but don't get his Patreons emails, the person beaten bloody was Duncan, Jake's cow-orker, by PJ.  Who, to be honest, does more damage to other people than Doc does of late.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

For those that read TWB, but don't get his Patreons emails, the person beaten bloody was Duncan, Jake's cow-orker, by PJ.  Who, to be honest, does more damage to other people than Doc does of late.

'Of late'? Discounting zombies and his own self, I think Pirta has been ahead of Doc in the grievous bodily harm department almost since she was introduced. Now, if property damage counts, it would have taken her somewhat longer.

15 hours ago, mlooney said:

It confused me for a moment as well, at first I was like "Did Miki beat the snot out of that firefighter?" but then I remembered the much earlier scene of Jake and Duncan walking in on a naked PJ.

I think I've been spoiled by Dan's use of reference links that I feel other comics should use them....

I got a check in the mail, completely out of the blue, for over a hundred dollars.  Apparently there was a class action lawsuit against someone violating the rules about sending spam faxes, and I was on the list of people they'd sent them to.  The fax machine in question, however, doesn't belong to me, it belongs to the practice.  So, I showed it to my boss, and then signed it over to the practice.  I'm amused that among all the various veterinary conventions, organizations, CE events, etc. that my name has been on, some including both land line and fax number, someone's mailing list was either sold or stolen with that identified as being mine instead of the practice's, given that such lists usually include listing who you work for as well as your contact information.  It was also kinda fun to have money drop out of the sky like that, even if I didn't feel right about keeping it.  I did do a quick search online to try to make sure it wasn't a scam, but I don't really see how it could be.

My wife was discussing the feral cats near her home on Messenger. But for some reason the autocorrect function kept changing 'ferals' into 'freaks.' I was quite puzzled as to why she would call them that. Then the light finally dawned. :icon_eek:

Also, I just had a spambot report itself. Interesting new functionality.

On 7/29/2017 at 9:39 AM, CritterKeeper said:

Eek!  Hope there wasn't too much damage, and no one, human or feline, got hurt!

So, did it work?  ;-)

Nope, it was just a glancing blow of the handle off of the glass of the door. It's happened once before. I made sure it wouldn't happen again (or at least until Mrs. Prof leans it against the planter table just right again).

autotwb2407.png

Having been in Swamp's place, for exactly the same reason this now one of my top 20 "The Whiteboard" strips.

He and Sandy have been having sex in a room covered in plastic with a gallon or more of warm cooking oil in use.

45 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

@mlooney I have had a lifelong preference for doorhandles as compared to doorknobs due to the poorer grip the latter offers. Ever tried to have your hands full and operate a doorknob with your elbow?

I know what you mean.  I miss having door handles vs door knobs after living in Germany for 5ish years.

22 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I know what you mean.  I miss having door handles vs door knobs after living in Germany for 5ish years.

It is nonetheless still a problem in Denmark. For example, our parliament is full of people with doorknobs for heads.

Admittedly, I am not sure it would be an actual improvement if they were to be replaced with doorhandles instead.

It's kind of like curb cuts.  When I was on roller skates a few decades ago, you had to go onto the street via a driveway before you got to the corner, or you'd end up having to jump down the curb and risk crashing.  Then you'd have to continue on the street past the corner until you got to a driveway to get back onto the sidewalk.  Now, curb cuts are so ubiquitous you don't even think about them, unless you come across an exceedingly rare corner without one, and then you wonder what the heck is wrong with whoever screwed up the corner.

I am in the process of looking for a new place to live.  I found one that looked good, until I read the pet rules.  NO Dingos!  OR Wolves!

How could I live some place that will not let me have a Dingo or a Wolf for a pet?????

Actually, I sort of like that rule.

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

I am in the process of looking for a new place to live.  I found one that looked good, until I read the pet rules.  NO Dingos!  OR Wolves!

How could I live some place that will not let me have a Dingo or a Wolf for a pet?????

Actually, I sort of like that rule.

It reminds me of a tavern in a friend's D&D game. As we approached it, we saw a sign on the outside reading "NO GHOULS PERMITTED."

Clearly this was a classy place. We decided to board there for the night.

21 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

No DIngos?

Aren't domesticated Dingos just like any other dog?

Or is the landlord afraid that if you have a Dingo, you might have even more offensive habits.  Like playing the didgeridoo?

Probably for safety. There might be babies in the building and everyone knows Dingoes eat babies.

23 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

No DIngos?

Aren't domesticated Dingos just like any other dog?

Or is the landlord afraid that if you have a Dingo, you might have even more offensive habits.  Like playing the didgeridoo?

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Probably for safety. There might be babies in the building and everyone knows Dingoes eat babies.

My sister-in-law, who is acting as my agent in part of this move, and I have started referring to them as "The Dingo Bigots". 

Just now, mlooney said:

My sister-in-law, who is acting as my agent in part of this move, and I have started referring to them as "The Dingo Bigots". 

I blame Seinfeld.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

I blame Seinfeld.

It's the rise of the alt-center. It has caused an incredible increase in intolerance of and bigotry against seemingly random species. Here in Denmark there is an entire letting agency that does not allow its customers to have duck-billed platypi in their apartments.

For that matter, just ask the Pharaoh. You wouldn't believe the anti-hippopotamus sentiments common for most homeowners in Egypt during the Ptolemaic period.

autotwb2410a.png

And now I wish Dan would create a set of identical twins or something and introduce them separately, and I don't mean Susan and Diane or Elliot and Ellen, I mean truly identical, and see how many people get confuzzled.