• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
CritterKeeper

Things You Find Amusing

Growing up, people almost always guessed I was older than I was.  For a decade or two, it was pretty consistently three years older.  I had friends who were college students, we'd go out as a group and they'd order a pitcher of beer, and I'd be given a glass with the rest of them (which I'd hand to the waiter, pointing out that they shouldn't be giving one to a sixteen-year-old ;-).  The only place that ever carded me was the comic book store, when an issue of a manga had some innocent nudity in a bathtub that only Americans would get uptight about.

Then, for a few years, people guessed my age fairly accurately.

For a while now, people have been guessing I'm younger than I am.  This led to a running gag that I've stopped aging and am now going to age backwards for a while instead.

I'm amused today in particular because, despite my hair still having a lot more dark brown than grey, I seem to be shedding the grey ones much more than the dark ones lately.  I've plucked loose hairs off the back of my jacket and had six grey and no dark.  I've even noticed a couple that transitioned between the two from one end to the other, and it was the root end that was dark!  Aging backward?  I'll take that deal!  ;-)

While watching a Sports talk show a few days ago, they brought up an embarrassing story about how NBA All Star Stephan Curry of the Golden State Warriors accidentally did a lot of damage to his hotel room by practicing his golf swing indoors.  This led the commentators to ask the question, "What was the stupidest thing you ever did as an adult?"

I thought about making that a topic in this forum.  But I realized it would probably take up far too much bandwidth.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

While watching a Sports talk show a few days ago, they brought up an embarrassing story about how NBA All Star Stephan Curry of the Golden State Warriors accidentally did a lot of damage to his hotel room by practicing his golf swing indoors.

One can only be grateful that he did not decide to practice skeet shooting instead.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This led the commentators to ask the question, "What was the stupidest thing you ever did as an adult?"

I thought about making that a topic in this forum.  But I realized it would probably take up far too much bandwidth.

It's an idea. I may do it. It wouldn't even make my top fifty list.

I can't offhand decide which of my many, many foolish deeds would rate as the top ranking one. One possible candidate may have been the time where we had an election during one of the coldest winters I have ever experienced. I struggled down to the voting office through icy winds and snowfall so thick that I could barely see ten yards ahead. When I arrived, it was only to learn that I had shown a day early. I returned home in a state of great annoyance with myself.

It did not help that the next day was much nicer, no wind or snow and the sun was out. Also the roads and sidewalks had been cleared. It was easy going reaching the voting office and I cursed my foolishness every step of the way.

Why must cats wait for home video?

Why can't they pay to see movies in the theatres like the rest of us?

This cat is obviously a fan of Hitchcock.  Why not enjoy it on the big screen with an audience of like minded cinamaniacs?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This cat is obviously a fan of Hitchcock.  Why not enjoy it on the big screen with an audience of like minded cinamaniacs?

If you saw the end of the video, you can work out why. The entire cinema is always utter chaos after every single jump scare.

autotwb2595.png

See? This is why I didn't want to get into the Tech Support side of IT (would rather build computers than try to explain to people how to use them) there'd probably be many times where I'd feel the need to do this to someone.

I was just hearing about how people who work at Disney are taught to point with two fingers instead of just one.  It's apparently a good way to spot ex- or off-duty employees at the parks.

And then I'm watching a Doctor Who video, and Missy is pointing with two fingers.

The potential stories from combining these two facts boggle the mind, in a good (yay evil!) way!

("Yay, evil!" comes from a writing group I was in once, where we noticed that the best ideas were the ones introduced with "I've just had an evil thought....")

2 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

My wristwatch just texted me to tell me it was time to take a walk.

This is not quite the 21st century I was expecting.

Technology is getting damn uppity. Even back when I was a kid I felt that clocks had too much power over our lives. Now they come right out and tell us to take a hike.

Sleep experts pretty much all agree we need around eight hours of sleep tonight, give or take at most an hour.  Yet the sleep study at the hospital doesn't seem to expect you to be asleep before 10:30 to 11pm, and they wake you up at barely 5:00am!

Susan, my cat, just came out of the bed room at about warp 7, slid across the hardwood floor of the living room, then stopped in the middle of the kitchen.  Then she walked back into the living room and went to her food bowl, like nothing was wrong.  Cat is weird.

5 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Susan, my cat, just came out of the bed room at about warp 7, slid across the hardwood floor of the living room, then stopped in the middle of the kitchen.  Then she walked back into the living room and went to her food bowl, like nothing was wrong.  Cat is weird.

Ah yes. I remember this one time where my cats lay curled up asleep together. Then suddenly they sat bolt upright, all but simultaneously, and one slapped the other with a paw. Then she shot out of there like a bolt with her brother in hot pursuit. They gallopped twice around my apartment, back into the bedroom and then they stopped dead for no reason I could see. After grooming for like half a minute they settled down to curl up next to one another again and a few minutes later they were asleep.

Cats. Go figure.

autotwb2633.png

Giving Cara a passcode for the self destruct system would be a good sign that Doc trusts her, I get the feeling that giving her launch authority would be akin to a marriage proposal.

My son ate Jon St. John's nachos.

If you're familiar with the Duke Nukem 3D series of games, you'll have heard Jon—he's the voice of Duke Nukem. Well, my son and I were supposed to meet with him at the Let's Play convention in Irving, TX this past weekend and give him some more of my Calibrations CDs to give away. We'd agreed to meet up at some point during the convention.

The story takes place at lunch, right after we'd sat down at a round table that was just clearing out. The café was packed. We had just started eating when a man and a woman came up and asked if they could join us. That man and woman were Jon St. John and his manager. I thought they were doing it intentionally, so I said, "Sure!" I rose, extended a hand, and said, "If I'm going to shake your hand, I'd better well do it standing."

He looked at me and said, "Who are you?"

We finally figured out our identities and exchanged greetings.

During lunch, Jon got miffed at the café staff over their nachos. He likes crunchy nachos that you can dip into the cheese, but they'd poured cheese all over his chips, making them soggy. My son had also ordered nachos, but had dry chips. He offered to swap with Jon, who after a bit of hesitation, accepted. Later on, Jon told my son, "You made my lunch."

So, my son ate Jon St. John's nachos.

It was on the news tonight -- Lincoln Towing has been shut down!

(The line about a charm school is referring to the location of a state prison.)

I grew up listening to this song on the radio on a regular basiis, despite being about 150 miles south of their range ;-)

On 9/12/2018 at 10:11 PM, CritterKeeper said:

It was on the news tonight -- Lincoln Towing has been shut down.

It couldn't happen to a nicer gang of thugs.

Once upon a time, back before the first Mayor Daley's doze became permanent, a friend had his car towed from a space he was legally entitled to park in. His complaints were ignored, and he ended up paying for both the original tow and a few days of "storage" in their heavily-fortified lot. A number of us spent a good deal of time talking him out of using some of the skills he learned as a Marine in response.

Yup, cars were kidnapped for ransom a lot by those guys.  We can be glad they're finally shut down (although who knows for hiw long), or bewildered and disappointed it took this long....the song was written in 1972!

Not sure if this goes here or not but reading military technical books translated from the Russian is a bit surreal.  I have been trying not to use a Russian accent when reading them but can't seem to do so.