• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Drachefly

Word of Dan Discussion

Since the Word of Dan thread is for the actual things said, this is for reacting to them.

In particular, I'm reacting to the declaration that 

"I will never change a plot point because someone predicted correctly. I'm actively giving out clues. I WANT it all to add up ^^;"

YES. Pete Abrams has a strict no-predictions no-speculation policy in the reactions threads because some horrible person gave him a lot of trouble years ago for ripping her idea off, when all they'd done was make a nearly-correct prediction. I think it's a bit of an overreaction, since this seems like a good defense. "So you noticed the method to the seeming chaos. Congratulations!"

Yeah, it was just the fanfiction stuff that Dan's actively avoided out of fear that someone could accuse him of stealing ideas, speculation and wild theories are not the same as fanfiction.

13 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The reason Dan stopped coming here was the level of toxicity that predominated here after years of trolls poisoning the place.

Oh, God, the toxicity. I stopped visiting for the same reason and more or less retreated to the Off Topic forum. I'm just now getting back into the main forums.

27 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Oh, God, the toxicity. I stopped visiting for the same reason and more or less retreated to the Off Topic forum. I'm just now getting back into the main forums.

And believe me, I am glad to have you here. You are one of the people that makes the job a true pleasure. :)

35 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

This makes me exceedingly curious. 

14 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The reason Dan stopped coming here was the level of toxicity that predominated here after years of trolls poisoning the place. It's a good deal better now, but I still don't blame Dan for staying away.

And we have people like you to thank for preventing a repeat of such a situation in more recent times.

7 minutes ago, ijuin said:

And we have people like you to thank for preventing a repeat of such a situation in more recent times.

I have done the best I could, but it would not have been possible without the support of the rest of the posters here. For which I am more grateful than I can say. I am not perfect and I make mistakes, and it is largely due to those aforementioned posters that I catch as many of these mistakes as I do. *sigh*

I, for one, am glad that you are able to intervene as soon as an argument is getting out of hand instead of waiting until it develops into an outright flame war. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

I've seen some forums where the trolls are the moderators. I've been on other forums where I've been called a mindless cultist because my position on a issue concerning a controversial fan-work was forgiving and had some nuance, and no one dared to speak in my defense except in PM.

3 hours ago, Drachefly said:

I've been on other forums where I've been called a mindless cultist because my position on a issue concerning a controversial fan-work was forgiving and had some nuance, and no one dared to speak in my defense except in PM.

You insisted on being thoughtful and contemplative when everyone around you was in a frenzy? Yeah, that's pretty bad... I guess... according to some people.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

And believe me, I am glad to have you here. You are one of the people that makes the job a true pleasure. :)

Your words honor me, good sir. I thank you for them and return them your way. It takes a moderator like you to make the forum enjoyable.

7 hours ago, Arcanimus said:
7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:
21 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The reason Dan stopped coming here was the level of toxicity that predominated here after years of trolls poisoning the place. It's a good deal better now, but I still don't blame Dan for staying away.

This makes me exceedingly curious. 

It was bad. I left for 3 or 4 years to avoid it, and lurked for a good 6 months or so to make sure it'd been cleaned up. You don't really want to know. Suffice to say, there's a reason we have a single thread for complaints/discussions about pacing, scheduling, fan-service, and other such stuff.

Nothing warms the heart more than a webcartoonist encouraging fan speculation ^ _ ^ {Well I suppose plenty of stuff does like puppies and stuff but youknowwhatImean)

I have to appreciate the fact that Dan avoids fanfiction because he's worried his story might take a similar direction. Like, El Goonish Shive is just one big original fanfic. I love that.

But yeah, I'm still active on a forum where the moderators are trolls that hate half the other members (including me), so I know how shitty that is. Still wouldn't call the environment toxic, though, because many of the members are really kind. It's hard to create a perfect balance: since I've come to this place, I've found it a very kind environment, though somewhat strictly enforced compared to what I'm comfortable with. I also often feel like this place doesn't really encourage any kind of meaningful conversations, with everyone just kinda talking past eachother... But I guess I'm going way off-topic now ^_^; 

Point is, El Goonish Shive has a good fandom and I'm happy with the way Dan handles it :3

I must admit, when I saw the Dan mention the theory that many people thought Ashley was Pandora, I was both amused and disappointed.

Disappointed because it meant that it wouldn't be new for me to throw out a well cited post about the utterly insane idea as a joke.

Amused because it was prevalent enough to acknowledge.

Just curious, but was Dan ever aware of the issues these forums had back in the day? I know he could easily be talking about any forums but it sounds like this could be hitting a little closer to home for him if he was aware.