• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Drachefly

Word of Dan Discussion

I suspect that Dan

1) Has other social outlets where he can properly filter negativity

and

2) No longer has the time to pay attention to every possible point of contact with fans.

Dan has over eleven hundred Patreon patrons. Assuming anything like a typical ratio of readers to donors, EGS probably has at least ten thousand regular readers.

Edit:

Don Edwards said in the 3 May 2016 thread for EGSNP that the statistics say that about 30k people visit EGS on an average day.

Edited by ijuin

34 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'm wondering if The Pharaoh is using "regular" in reference to something else. ;)

Well, he is a Pharoh, and not some lowly commoner like the rest of us ;)

On May 24, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Scotty said:

Just curious, but was Dan ever aware of the issues these forums had back in the day? I know he could easily be talking about any forums but it sounds like this could be hitting a little closer to home for him if he was aware.

Just a reminder, the intent is that the actual Words Of Dan be put in the Word Of Dan thread, with this thread being used to discuss things he's said so that the other thread doesn't get cluttered up and we don't have to scroll through pages of discussion to find the Dan quotes.

Perhaps the Word of Dan thread should be pinned to the top of the page?  Only question then is whether to pin this one, too....

10 hours ago, ijuin said:

Dan has over eleven hundred Patreon patrons. Assuming anything like a typical ratio of readers to donors, EGS probably has at least ten thousand regular readers.

Edit:

Don Edwards said in the 3 May 2016 thread for EGSNP that the statistics say that about 30k people visit EGS on an average day.

Mind you, about 20 of those every day are me checking repeatedly in the vain hope that Dan suddenly decided to update daily from now on and there are probably several others like me.

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

RSS means never having to check for updates...

26 minutes ago, ijuin said:

You underestimate the power of obsession.

Yeah, that...plus RSS is a real pain to deal with. Either you have a ton of bookmark folders that have a ton of pages in them, or you have a giant conglomeration of hundreds of webcomics, news sites, and other assorted things in a reader. Plus RSS feeds break all the time, and so they're unreliable enough to be untrustworthy to me, and I'd feel the need to check the site as it was anyways.

3 hours ago, Matoyak said:

Yeah, that...plus RSS is a real pain to deal with. Either you have a ton of bookmark folders that have a ton of pages in them, or you have a giant conglomeration of hundreds of webcomics, news sites, and other assorted things in a reader. Plus RSS feeds break all the time, and so they're unreliable enough to be untrustworthy to me, and I'd feel the need to check the site as it was anyways.

Maybe that's my first problem.  I don't *read* hundreds of webcomics, news sites and other assorted things...

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Maybe that's my first problem.  I don't *read* hundreds of webcomics, news sites and other assorted things...

Eh, even just following a single news website would spawn dozens of updates. But I do follow around 140 or so webcomics, though not all of them update but once every few months. The main thing for me is how often the RSS feeds seem to break for websites. Just seem super unreliable, in addition to the hassle of it all.

My one experiment with RSS, it reported that every webcomic I pointed it at was updating hourly.

Which was not exactly correct. And made it less useful than folders full of semi-organized links.

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I did and I do. You and all the other posters here who have been devoting your time and energy to make this a positive and welcoming place. :)

Well, having a moderator who cares about maintaining calm discussion (in the sense of "steer discussions back to civility when they start to stray", as opposed to "immediately shut down any discussion that starts producing flames") makes us want to maintain the environment as well. It's sort of like how when one is in a relatively well-maintained place, one is more likely to spontaneously pick up a random piece of litter and thus contribute to the cleanliness, as opposed to a place that is much more dirty. Basically, an inverse "broken window effect".

9 hours ago, ijuin said:

Well, having a moderator who cares about maintaining calm discussion (in the sense of "steer discussions back to civility when they start to stray", as opposed to "immediately shut down any discussion that starts producing flames") makes us want to maintain the environment as well. It's sort of like how when one is in a relatively well-maintained place, one is more likely to spontaneously pick up a random piece of litter and thus contribute to the cleanliness, as opposed to a place that is much more dirty. Basically, an inverse "broken window effect".

This is something I have learned about moderating: it is, in essence, purely negative. It can restrict and shut down but it cannot on its own contribute or improve. Positive contributions all stem from the posters themselves. For that reason I try to exercise as much restraint as I can.

I have more than once been criticised for moderating too aggressively or being too restrictive. I regret that but I must rely on my judgment and experience, imperfect and incomplete as they may be. I do not wish a return to the toxic state these forums once suffered from and if I see anything even resembling a step in that direction I intervene, preferably with a gentle nudge but with direct action if I have to.

That being said, I repeat that the current positive state of the forums is to be credited to the posters here and I am glad to see people having such a good time. :)

14 hours ago, Matoyak said:

Eh, even just following a single news website would spawn dozens of updates. But I do follow around 140 or so webcomics, though not all of them update but once every few months. The main thing for me is how often the RSS feeds seem to break for websites. Just seem super unreliable, in addition to the hassle of it all.

11 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

My one experiment with RSS, it reported that every webcomic I pointed it at was updating hourly.

Which was not exactly correct. And made it less useful than folders full of semi-organized links.

Both of your experiences have been very different from mine.  I used google's RSS reader until they discontinued it, and had few problems.  Replacing google was more a matter of ease-of-use interface issues.  The feeds themselves have been rock-solid.  EGS, for example, comes off without a hitch week-in, week-out.

I have settled on a web-based reader called Feedley.  It's been trouble-free, and I've even come to like it well enough to have bought a subscription.  Feedly's organization features are nothing spectacular, but enough to keep chaos at bay.  Every feed is its own folder and I can drop feeds in a topic folder on top of that.  That's all I need.  Sure it can be a mess if I look t everything at once, but I don't have to.

Most of my RSS issues have been problems that the source was having, not the reader.  I've had webcomics neglect their feeds (PvP) or rebuild their feed, forcing me to re-subscribe (Trying Human), but RSS has never failed me when it came irregularly-updating content(Megatokyo, Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki).  There's even one webcomic (Day by Day) that I need Feedly to read.  For whatever reason the local internet backbone doesn't like the comic so 9 days out of 10, so it simply doesn't display on my web browser.  I can always get it through Feedley.

On 4/20/2016 at 0:40 PM, Arcanimus said:

This makes me exceedingly curious. 

Before the great crash and burn of '16 I had a habit of picking a long to ultra long thread and start at the beginning and read it to the point that normally a great wall of red text appeared killing it, or it died of natural causes.   Some threads got very ugly.

The nearest thing that we have had in recent times was "is/was Ashley dumb for letting (bad) Tom fool her for a couple of months?"  Susan answered that in an awesome way and the subject was dropped.   On the one to plasma scale of flame wars it was barely "birthday candle".   Early stuff?  Right up there with your basic 210mm thermobaric weapon.1

1Thermobaric weapon are nasty stuff.  If they go of right, they have near nuke level of localized destruction.  If they only half ass of off (which is possible, depending on several factors, like wind speed and local humidity, they are like napalm.   If they fail to go off at all, which is still possible, if the primary detonation fuse fails, they are toxic gasses.  If one gets dropped near you, your world is going to change in a bad way.  Just for what it's worth, the US Air Forces uses them, (MOAB is one) but other than they aren't really all that common is the US forces.  The Russians, on the other hand, love them and  issues them down to squad level.   This fact has lead to several changes in US Army doctrine about defensive potions.

@The Old Hack, the Word of Dan thread doesn't seem to be pinned, unlike pre-crash, hence I had to scroll through the listing to find it.  Is there a reason for this, or would it be reasonable to request it be repinned.  (This one isn't, but I don't think it was pre-crash either.)

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Look!  Blue Moderator text!  In the wild!

The genetic mutation producing this new color morph is a fairly recent one, but it appears to be establishing its own niche, distinct from its progenitors