• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Monkey_zombie

an evolutionary game

I saw this game on another forum and wanted to try it here.

Rules:
1-Only minimal changes per evolution or branch, the creature must resemble their ancestor. (It is best to work off of the ancestor pic and edit it)
2-You can choose to evolve a creature or create a branch, after a few turns the creature that has been branched off of becomes extinct.
3-The illustrations must be aliased.
4- You must draw the evolution, if you cannot draw feel free to ask others to help
5-For sake of timeline, please put the name of the ancestor that you are evolving. (also it would be great if you would put a blurb about your creature, possibly explaining the evolution)
6- Each creature can only be branched a total of 3 times (which ideally results in a maximum of around 4-6 different variants from one ancestor)
7-You are not allowed to evolve or branch one of your own posts, it must be a different persons post.
8- You are allowed to post a maximum of two creatures if you are creating a branch.
9- Have fun! Don't forget that this has plenty of pseudo-chemistry, so feel free to make up stuff~

Welcome to Towoc Island. A place untouched by man and other things for that matter due to a strange magical energy the evolutionary process has been sped up considerably. (Pictured below)

Map.png

Key:
Green:High Growth areas
Yellow:Sandy areas
Brown:Rocky areas
dark brown: Mountains/Rocky Hills
Orange: Volcanoes

There are the two starting organisms. (pictured below)

Ambler: This animal has a mostly plant based diet, though eating one another has happened if food is scarce. The favored food of the species are the plants known as Sprouts. They tend to favor sour flavors more than others, and will deliberately seek them out.

Ambler.png

Sprouts:This plant is wide spread across plains, it metabolizes a mineral called Bolin with Thachis it collects from its leaf. This process turns the plant a pale green, and gives the plant fibers a slightly sour taste. This plant also doesn't require much water, as metabolizing Bolin is dependent more on Thachis.

Plant.png

30 minutes ago, Monkey_zombie said:

3-The illustrations must be aliased.

Could you please explain what you mean by this?  To me, an alias is a pseudonym, usually used to describe a false name adopted to avoid criminal prosecution.  Do we have to post our pictures under a fake name?

56 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Could you please explain what you mean by this?  To me, an alias is a pseudonym, usually used to describe a false name adopted to avoid criminal prosecution.  Do we have to post our pictures under a fake name?

yeah sorry, essentially it means that the image must be pixelated without edge blending. MS paint is aliased.

12 minutes ago, Monkey_zombie said:

yeah sorry, essentially it means that the image must be pixelated without edge blending. MS paint is aliased.

I usually use Paint for simple stuff, GIMP for more complex.  What settings do I need if I do use GIMP?

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

I usually use Paint for simple stuff, GIMP for more complex.  What settings do I need if I do use GIMP?

I don't know GIMP, I use Paint.net for everything. I suppose wherever aliasing would be located.

Swimmer: Recently discovered, this genetic cousin of the ambler is only found on the smaller island to the north east of Towoc, and in the surrounding waters likely due to competition for food on the main island. Unlike it's land based cousin, this species is amphibious.

ambler2.png

14 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

if you're using gimp, use pencil tool only. everything else has built in AA that i don't know how to turn off.

Pencil is the aliased equivalent of the (antialiased) brush tool.  The eraser tool can be switched into no-antialiasing mode by ticking the "hard edge" box in its settings ("Tool Options") panel, and antialiasing on the lasso or wand can be turned off by unchecking the "antialiasing" box in its settings panel.  On scaling and related transforms, set interpolation to "none".

Edited by HarJIT

On 4/21/2016 at 2:03 PM, InfiniteRemnant said:

Swimmer: Recently discovered, this genetic cousin of the ambler is only found on the smaller island to the north east of Towoc, and in the surrounding waters likely due to competition for food on the main island. Unlike it's land based cousin, this species is amphibious.

ambler2.png

Sweet, So since this is a divergence from the base form it is a branch, I will show an example of an evolution here.

Evolution

Three Leaf Sprout: This species has evolved to absorb more Thachis which is then able to metabolize more Bolin. Increasing the plants longevity.

Tri-leaf Plant.png

Branch: Snapper

This subspecies has developed an appetite for its Ambler cousins. It uses a newly developed scent gland to find its prey while it uses its sharp beak to rip into Amblers. Its Fluted Shell protects it from other Snappers.

Snapper.png

Branch: Beach Sprout

This species has a larger leaf and denser roots which allow it to absorb Nacal; A mineral within the sand. The process of synthesizing Nacal has resulted in a slight bluish hue.

Watery Plant.png