• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP, Friday April 22, 2016

He knew she was going to no-kill route so probably expected this option to not work, the scene that Dan drew would not have been shown in the game. It'd be just like using a bed normally in the game, screen goes dark for a moment, then you're awake and ready to continue the quest.

This is probably as explicit as Dan has ever gotten about the sexual act*, which doesn't bother me in the least. What does disturb me is however that Grace just had sex with the man who shot her. Sure it's only a video game, but it's still creepy as hell. Why did the game developers make that an option? Just why?

*Granted, it is only for a video game fantasy sequence, so it doesn't really count.

In the actual game there is an option (and for most people the intention) to kill the guy in his sleep. At that point though, some players might have meant the dialogue seriously, so Obsidian (The guys who made the game) went and made that an option too.

In case you haven't noticed, Grace...

MEN ARE JERKS!

But in game terms, he was just better with his weapon (the gun) than you were with your weapon (seduction).
Both of you used your weapons of choice in an attempt to get the chip.  He wound up with it both times.
To get better with a gun, you can practice by shooting targets at a gun range.  Is there a such a thing as a seduction range to practice that skill?

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Mass Effect has certainly done worse.

I though the reason videogames are not constantly pushing the boundaries is that they run out of places to push them to.

2 hours ago, Sweveham said:

This is probably as explicit as Dan has ever gotten about the sexual act*, which doesn't bother me in the least.

If this is the slippery scope Dan is on, I'll bring some butter to make it more slippery.

1 hour ago, Scrapyard_Dragon said:

In the actual game there is an option (and for most people the intention) to kill the guy in his sleep. At that point though, some players might have meant the dialogue seriously, so Obsidian (The guys who made the game) went and made that an option too.

Maybe he has enough experience to know that if he don't, players would complain he is forcing them to do something they didn't wanted.

41 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I though the reason videogames are not constantly pushing the boundaries is that they run out of places to push them to.

I meant it as the fact that while in Fallout, when you go to sleep with someone, it just fades to black and then you wake up, but in Mass Effect you go to sleep with someone and you get watch some foreplay before the fade to black.

3 hours ago, Sweveham said:

This is probably as explicit as Dan has ever gotten about the sexual act*, which doesn't bother me in the least. What does disturb me is however that Grace just had sex with the man who shot her. Sure it's only a video game, but it's still creepy as hell. Why did the game developers make that an option? Just why?

*Granted, it is only for a video game fantasy sequence, so it doesn't really count.

It's one of many, many, many options of things to do in the game. You don't have to engage with it, and there are many different types of character who could take advantage of it. A hitman type could harbor no strong feelings about a man doing his job, and merely find it unfortunate that they were the one targeted. An assassin type could want to have gotten him in a vulnerable state to off him more easily. Etc etc, so on and so forth. It's a game about making choices that befit the character you're playing. Honestly the thing I find most unfortunate is that it's an option only allowed for lady characters.

58 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I meant it as the fact that while in Fallout, when you go to sleep with someone, it just fades to black and then you wake up, but in Mass Effect you go to sleep with someone and you get watch some foreplay before the fade to black.

I never played Mass Effect but this is not first time I hear about Liara T'Soni.

45 minutes ago, Matoyak said:

Honestly the thing I find most unfortunate is that it's an option only allowed for lady characters.

Case in point to the "players would complain if the option will be missing". ... with or without the gender of the jerk reversed? ... wait, I shouldn't ask that. Also, correct answer is definitely
both

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Certainly in Japan.  Though I don't *think* there is a Fallout eroge.  Mainstream releases in the US do seem a lot tamer.

2 hours ago, weirdee said:

honestly, I'm not quite sure why the game doesn't just let you steal the chip from benny in his sleep and leave

Maybe he has light sleep. But that doesn't mean the option shouldn't be there, just that the attempt to leave would fail.

yeeesss, Dan, soon, you will be on Slipshine, like David Willis! Give in to temptation...

Seriously though, find it hillarious CouriGrace got so into things she forgot to steal back the chip. Very ditzy.

2 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

yeeesss, Dan, soon, you will be on Slipshine, like David Willis! Give in to temptation...

This it what I get for watching through the Kaybe Skyrim series. I just read that line in Kaybe's voice.....

On 4/22/2016 at 7:46 PM, hkmaly said:

I never played Mass Effect but this is not first time I hear about Liara T'Soni.

Case in point to the "players would complain if the option will be missing". ... with or without the gender of the jerk reversed? ... wait, I shouldn't ask that. Also, correct answer is definitely

For all the comments Mass Effect gets, the "romance" options tend to be very vanilla.  It's as if no one on the design team read a sci fi book, or read anything honest about people on a ship for long periods of time. At the very least the Renegade path for Shepard should have allowed for polyamory for flavor reasons - though I'd argue that Paragon Shepard could be more than willing to help out a crewmate or two, or three ...

2 hours ago, Skip said:

For all the comments Mass Effect gets, the "romance" options tend to be very vanilla.  It's as if no one on the design team read a sci fi book, or read anything honest about people on a ship for long periods of time. At the very least the Renegade path for Shepard should have allowed for polyamory for flavor reasons - though I'd argue that Paragon Shepard could be more than willing to help out a crewmate or two, or three ...

Mass Effect is a game where all the power lies with the female variant protagonist rather than the male. Admittedly this is mainly due to the voice actress who is so stupendously good that she puts poor male Shepard quite to shame.

14 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Mass Effect is a game where all the power lies with the female variant protagonist rather than the male. Admittedly this is mainly due to the voice actress who is so stupendously good that she puts poor male Shepard quite to shame.

That's Jennifer Hale's skill at play. Lady has been just about every female character in cartoons and games since the 90s.

Seriously, most main character Marvel or DC ladies have had her.

Black Cat? Hale.

Poison Ivy? Hale.

Spider-Woman? Hale.

Martha Kent? Hale.

Captain Marvel? Hale.

Mary Jane Watson and Miss Vermin in the Spiderman Unlimited series? Hale.

Bastilla Shan? Hale.

Aayla Secura, possibly in a video game? Hale.

the video game voice of Dory from Finding Nemo and Galadriel from Lord of the Rings, since apparently I guess they couldn't afford their main voice actors for thevideo games? Hale.

Cinderella in the awesome time travel and actual conflict direct to video sequel known as Cinderella III? Hale.

She has basically been every enjoyable character in animation and in gaming. It surprises me she hasn't been a Lara Croft yet, but it's a matter of time and availability of an opening I guess.

More than half of the female characters I enjoyed as a kid had her behind the voice.