• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Aura Guardian

NP Monday April 25, 2016

Yeah. For the most part, if I can avoid doing quests for a faction like this, I will. There are a number of quests in games that make me go "yeah nope, not gonna do it." And there are times where I wish there were other options for completing a quest.

I have no idea why anyone would want to do that short of being a completionist who wants to do every quest in the game in every way possible, but it's an option.

Deliberately playing a character who considers everyone she associates with collateral damage waiting to happen, and had already been kicked out of the NCR for too-many "accidental" friendly fire incidents?

That was my excuse anyway...

'Sides I needed new target dummies teammates, and I'd already gotten the local brotherhood and enclave forces killed declined to work with the other groups...

Well, not counting unkillables of course, but they stop chasing you after a few miles...

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yeah. For the most part, if I can avoid doing quests for a faction like this, I will. There are a number of quests in games that make me go "yeah nope, not gonna do it." And there are times where I wish there were other options for completing a quest.

Agreed. Some things just leave a bad taste in your mouth.

On the other hand, this is the first time I ever heard that Roman legionnaires wore sunshades. That is awesome. And if they didn't, it's a crying shame and they should have.

I haven't even played this game and I already hate these guys. His character design and behaviour is hilarious though.

It's telling that Grace is far more reticent greeting these people then she was greeting the escaped convict or even her own assailant. No cheerful "hello" here.

All the slavery, patriarchy and sheer violence is why I'm always a bit sceptical when people unreservedly praise the ancient world as some kind of pinnacle of civilization. Sure, they produced philosophy and literature that is still relevant today, but in many aspects they were no better than the "barbarians" they opposed.

Well can't blame Grace for being wary of these guys, there are certainly more visual cues as to what kind of people they are compared to the powder gangers and such. Seeing the crucified people on her way up to the leader would have certainly given her a sense of "maybe I shouldn't be trying this here."

20 minutes ago, Sweveham said:

All the slavery, patriarchy and sheer violence is why I'm always a bit skeptical when people unreservedly praise the ancient world as some kind of pinnacle of civilization. Sure, they produced philosophy and literature that is still relevant today, but in many aspects they were no better than the "barbarians" they opposed.

I would like to discuss why the professional and efficient Roman Legions were not cesspools of bigots and bullies as they are frequently portrayed by historians.

I would like to do that.  But I can't.

While the worst humans were never the majority in any army, the need for soldiers willing to fight and kill on command means that people who use violence for pleasure were (and often still are) tolerated to some degree by military commanders.

Historic Legionaries once asked a controversial religious figure for some spiritual advice  What he told them boiled down to "Don't be a jerk to the civilians". (Luke 3:14)  I don't think that misogynistic men who wish to reenact their own vision of the Marian Legions would include an admonishment from John the Baptist in their general orders.

20 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

I have no idea why anyone would want to do that short of being a completionist who wants to do every quest in the game in every way possible, but it's an option.

Deliberately playing a character who considers everyone she associates with collateral damage waiting to happen, and had already been kicked out of the NCR for too-many "accidental" friendly fire incidents?

I guess in this case you won't COMPLETE the game as their ally.

I can totally see someone wanting to double-cross them and finding out it's not option too late, though.

9 hours ago, Sweveham said:

All the slavery, patriarchy and sheer violence is why I'm always a bit sceptical when people unreservedly praise the ancient world as some kind of pinnacle of civilization. Sure, they produced philosophy and literature that is still relevant today, but in many aspects they were no better than the "barbarians" they opposed.

Sure they were better than the barbarians. It's just that "better than the barbarians" is not particularly high goal. Even if you include Egyptians in the "barbarian" definition, like Greeks did. Many things we now see as "uncivilized" was so normal noone even THOUGH about changing it - the idea would be as crazy to them like the idea to use big metal house to fly to Moon. Possibly more.

20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Sure they were better than the barbarians. It's just that "better than the barbarians" is not particularly high goal. Even if you include Egyptians in the "barbarian" definition, like Greeks did. Many things we now see as "uncivilized" was so normal noone even THOUGH about changing it - the idea would be as crazy to them like the idea to use big metal house to fly to Moon. Possibly more.

more of a cramped metal shell stuck on the top of a flying metal tower that breaks to pieces as it flies.

6 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

more of a cramped metal shell stuck on the top of a flying metal tower that breaks to pieces as it flies.

"We're sitting on top of four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear
weapon; in a thing that has two-hundred-thousand moving parts, and was
built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good doesn't it."

-- Armageddon

15 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
21 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

"We're sitting on top of four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear
weapon; in a thing that has two-hundred-thousand moving parts, and was
built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good doesn't it."

-- Armageddon

... if you look at it like this, it starts looking crazy for 21th century people as well. Except the shuttle never made it on Moon.

Yeah, it's funny how the space program started by sitting people on top of missiles, then going to jumbo jets on steroids, and now we're going back to missiles. :)

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, it's funny how the space program started by sitting people on top of missiles, then going to jumbo jets on steroids, and now we're going back to missiles. :)

Well, there are only two reasonable ways to get on orbit. One needs better spiders and other Heisenberg compensator.

Despite the surface similarities, shuttle launched on top of missiles and regarding landing, there were called flying bricks. So, not so similar to jumbo jet.

On 4/26/2016 at 6:08 AM, The Old Hack said:

Agreed. Some things just leave a bad taste in your mouth.

On the other hand, this is the first time I ever heard that Roman legionnaires wore sunshades. That is awesome. And if they didn't, it's a crying shame and they should have.

I'm pretty obsessive about trying to play every way, but I've found a number of games where the options are so evil I simply cannot play that way.  I've even hacked a game's reward system to give me the necessary prerequisites to unlock options because I couldn't stomach 'earning' that option by playing it.

Also, it seems I managed to kick my forum habit long enough to get my account deleted.  I'm going to try to avoid getting this remade account to the post count I had before(several thousand).  I include this only to say that I am the same Wyrd42 from before, should any of my old friends(such as The Old Hack) care about that.

9 minutes ago, Wyrd42 said:

Also, it seems I managed to kick my forum habit long enough to get my account deleted.  I'm going to try to avoid getting this remade account to the post count I had before(several thousand).  I include this only to say that I am the same Wyrd42 from before, should any of my old friends(such as The Old Hack) care about that.

Your account only got deleted because the forum server suffered a massive crash (I think Thom said it fell down some stairs as he was trying to move it?) so we all had to create new accounts and start over from 0 posts. :)

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:
26 minutes ago, Wyrd42 said:

Your account only got deleted because the forum server suffered a massive crash (I think Thom said it fell down some stairs as he was trying to move it?) so we all had to create new accounts and start over from 0 posts. :)

No, it wasn't hitting any stairs. It was hitting Thom.

The server fell over. Not as in "over on its side". It fell down, six feet, hitting me several times on the way. The equipment was fine -- except for the hard drives and the backups.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The server fell over. Not as in "over on its side". It fell down, six feet, hitting me several times on the way. The equipment was fine -- except for the hard drives and the backups.

I remembered the part about it hitting Thom in the process, but for some reason the six feet bit made me think stairs were involved.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Yikes!  I hadn't heard that detail before.  I now have a mental image of Thom valiantly trying to stop the server from crashing to the floor with his own body, and it makes me want to award him a virtual purple heart for taking the hit(s)!

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Yikes!  I hadn't heard that detail before.  I now have a mental image of Thom valiantly trying to stop the server from crashing to the floor with his own body, and it makes me want to award him a virtual purple heart for taking the hit(s)!

He has more than earned one, because that was what he did. :( Not to mention all the other hits he has taken for his hard work over the years.