• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

In the vein of the other "What are you <verb>ing?" questions: what are you currently learning? Be it for work, fun, school, or just 'cause, I'm curious as to what the rest of the community is doing to engage and expand their knowledge. Also, if two people happen to be learning the same topic/skill/thing, it could facilitate sharing of knowledge resources among the EGS community, which could be neat as well. :)

I myself am in the final phase of a Programming Boot Camp (specifically Coder Camps .NET on-site Immersive), and so I'm working on a group project full stack web app using ASP.net, MVC, AngularJS, Ionic, and a laundry list of other things, so I'm currently focused on learning how to add Ionic into our app/website.

19 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I've been learning some of the more esoteric functions available within Cakewalk SONAR Platinum. It's quite a program.

Oh my. That's well beyond my audio engineering skills to handle. I've used Audacity, Sony Acid, Finale, and Reaper, but for mostly relatively basic stuff. Beats, Mashups, original songs, and basic editing and mastering. It's like riding a shetland pony and having someone blast by you on a full blooded Arabian. :P

3 hours ago, Matoyak said:

Oh my. That's well beyond my audio engineering skills to handle. I've used Audacity, Sony Acid, Finale, and Reaper, but for mostly relatively basic stuff. Beats, Mashups, original songs, and basic editing and mastering. It's like riding a shetland pony and having someone blast by you on a full blooded Arabian. :P

You've got more than a pony if you know how to use Finale. I haven't had time to crack that nut yet—just SONAR and Adobe Audition (which I beta tested back when it was called Cool Edit Pro).

21 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

You've got more than a pony if you know how to use Finale. I haven't had time to crack that nut yet—just SONAR and Adobe Audition (which I beta tested back when it was called Cool Edit Pro).

Very very basic use of Finale, back when I was in high school band, a garage band, and actively helping my friend (who went to school for composition) write stuff. I'd do small things on my own as well, but he was the one writing the actually good stuff.

8 hours ago, Matoyak said:

Very very basic use of Finale, back when I was in high school band, a garage band, and actively helping my friend (who went to school for composition) write stuff. I'd do small things on my own as well, but he was the one writing the actually good stuff.

So were you Art Garfunkel or Ringo?

Having 6 cloud clients fighting over the same set of files mean that non of them work and your machine comes to a halt. Restarting them one at a time and letting them finish before starting the next one.

I blame sleep deprivation for trying to get them all to start up at once.

For those people that think that a cloud client should treat a sym-link as if it was a real directory, Drop box, Mega Drive, and Yandex do. Right now I have various parts of those clients pointing at a directory that "belongs" to Gdrive. All of Drop box is part of OneDrive.

If not obvious, treating a sym-link as a directory is what I think a cloud client should do.

Gdrive and OneDrive ignore symlinks, not even showing them as a file.

Amazon drive is useless, has no client side directory, as near as I can tell, and is a double pain in the sitting area to install on OS X 10.7.5  Might not be so bad on other versions.  On Android it doesn't have load a directory at a time option and it's not supported by ESFilre Pro.

ESFile Pro, my tools of choice on Android and Fire OS also supports Box, MediaFire, SugarSyn and Amazon S3, which I didn't load due to either not having a client that works on OS X 10.7.5 or costing more money for basic install than I'm willing to pay.  I'm paying for Dropbox and OneDrive comes with Office 365.   It also supports Baidu NetDisk, but I'll be dammed if I'm putting files in China by design.  I mean I'm sure I have files in China, but I didn't put them there by choice.

Yandex is tricky enough, being Russian.

Mega Drive is New Zealand and is the only one that is encrypted.  Forget your password?  Your files are gone. Which, because I was sleep deprived when I made the password, I did.  Fortunately, all the directories for it were sys links, so I did their weird thing to change the pass word to something I can remember and restored the sym links.

[Edit]

Circular sym-links are bad, m'kay...

[edit 2]

Yandex android client does some thing very ugly to your /Android/data directory if you have a lot of image files.  Like is going to take some work to fix level ugly.

Thank all things lawful good I had rooted this machine and had a good terminal application installed.

I decided of my own free will to read Disquisitiones Arithmeticae, Gauss's famous 19th-century text on number theory.  Problem is, there isn't a public-domain English translation.  So...

I might have lost my mind.

19 hours ago, WR...S said:

I decided of my own free will to read Disquisitiones Arithmeticae, Gauss's famous 19th-century text on number theory.  Problem is, there isn't a public-domain English translation.  So...

I might have lost my mind.

Is Demonhunter still around? Maybe you can have them check the Lost and Found for ya. ;)

36 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Meh, I've been out of MY mind since the 1980s. :D

Leg warmers, New Coke and mullets. I get you, man. :demonicduck:

Nah, I was a little kid back then. I'm just BARELY able to remember when the only Star Trek was TOS, for example. I'll pass on the New Coke though.

I spend most of my time not playing video games and posting random stuff on my facebook account, I'm studying statistics and economics. Mainly because those two I still need to work on because of college.

Meanwhile in my spare time I like reading about my country's ancient history, and lower mythology. If the old world is gonna make a comeback I need to find a way to incorporate it properly with what I'm going to be making in the next few years. Oh and this will also include the aesthetic and auditory motifs that somehow survived at least 1 foreign occupation.

I just do this research partly because i just want to, partly as a responsibility, partly as tribute, and because I want to show the world that the Filipino, beyond working at Manual Labor, cheap employment, and cheap English education, can be profound, artful, and beautiful, that the current drivel that dominates the Filipino discourse wasn't always that way, that as a country - we were, and can be - a proud and prosperous one.

Don't accidently faceplant on a driveway or anything really. Even if you manage to catch yourself before you actually hit, it will NOT feel good.

9 minutes ago, PSadlon said:

Don't accidently faceplant on a driveway or anything really. Even if you manage to catch yourself before you actually hit, it will NOT feel good.

Good grief! How'd your eye fare? (I'm assuming you're being self-referential here.)

Ouch. I tripped over a curb recently for the first time in years. Scraped a knee, but I'm more annoyed that a brand-new pair of pants got a hole torn in the knee.