• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

25 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Ouch. I tripped over a curb recently for the first time in years. Scraped a knee, but I'm more annoyed that a brand-new pair of pants got a hole torn in the knee.

Ouch. Still better than a near faceplant.

1 hour ago, PSadlon said:

Don't accidently faceplant on a driveway or anything really. Even if you manage to catch yourself before you actually hit, it will NOT feel good.

My daughter tripped a few days ago, and had just enough control to faceplant on grass instead of pavement. Unfortunately there was a tree-root just under the grass. X-rays show she didn't actually break a rib. But it hurt enough she was concerned, so I'd guess she got a pretty substantial bruise.

Important note for all you cross platform people out there. Microsoft "One Drive" or "SkyDrive" has Windows file name and file length restrictions. This makes putting an OS X directory on it tricky, if not impossible.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Important note for all you cross platform people out there. Microsoft "One Drive" or "SkyDrive" has Windows file name and file length restrictions. This makes putting an OS X directory on it tricky, if not impossible.

What are the restrictions?

(Been using Dropbox and Google Drive here, with files backed up to another system on my network. Belt and suspenders. Can't be too careful.)

The more I learn about LaTeX the more I find how little I know about LaTeX.  It's another one of those things that has a "learning cliff".  Or actually it's a series of learning plateau.  You make up to one level, then oft in the distance, another learning cliff to climb.

sisyphus.jpg

On 8/8/2016 at 9:46 AM, ProfessorTomoe said:

What are the restrictions?

(Been using Dropbox and Google Drive here, with files backed up to another system on my network. Belt and suspenders. Can't be too careful.)

• Filename can't contain: < > : " / \ | ? *
  • Filename can't be: CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, or LPT9 (case insensitive)
  • File paths can only contain up to 259 typed characters under FAT and 32,767 typed characters under NTFS.
  • File and folder names can only contain up to 255 characters (further restrictions based on the length of the existing file path)

Re the last item. A file in the root level a FAT file system labeled C:\ can have a filename 255 characters long and file in C:\Users\Public\ can have a filename 242 characters long.

I found some videos on YouTube about homemade alcohol stoves made from soda cans, and have tried out a couple of the designs.  I have now bought some Liquid Heet alcohol to try them out with, and need to figure out where and when to test them.  I find that I'm now lookign at every empty can as potentially useful.  ;-)

I've also been learning about eclampsia and antiseizure medications (see the What Are You Watching thread), and did a webinar on cat skin diseases which was quite educational.

38 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Perhaps they might have covered a question I've had for some time?

Just how many ways are there to skin a cat?

Fewer, I suspect, than there are to skin a Winamp.

This weekend I learned how to spin yarn on a spinning wheel.  My first attempt was, of course, inconsistent and sloppy.  I am told that the result is "art yarn" and that people actually pay big bucks for handspun art yarn.  The thick and thin bits, the not very well twisted sections, all of that is seen as a plus in some circles.

I also got to make a frit glass piece which is a dark blue background with glow-under-UV flecks and slightly larger stars, to make it look like a night sky.  There's also a paw print in there, but it's black on a dark background, so you can only see it if you know it's there.

Made an Arduino robot, but it didn't work and they ran out of time trying to diagnose why, so I'll have to bring it to the next con that the Blinkies guys come to.  www.2Dkits.com is the main source for their various soldering projects, and the guys who make the kits were there.  The robot, which is supposed to be controllable via bluetooth by a smart phone, was a new product, and they wee revising the instructions as we built them and they discovered what was missing and what worked better done a different way.

Also did chain maille jewelry, which was fun but is likely too fiddling for me to take up as a regular hobby.  Then again, it's fairly simple and repetitive, migt be good to do while watching TV.  I got some extra rings and figure if I use them up, then it mightbe worth ordering some rings myself.

Double-pointed needles for knitting.  You can knit tubes, like socks, arm-warmers, and daleks, but they're rather fiddly and get in each others' way.  Haven't done enough DPN or enough circular needle knitting to know which I like better yet.

I signed up to build a bat house, but was so busy with other stuff I never got around to it, so they sent the kit home with me.

I've been trying to learn how to make LibreOffice spit out a Writer report based on a Calc spreadsheet. I handed it off to my wife in .xls format (it translated fine—no functions in it, etc.). It's a nut neither of us can crack, though. Oh, how I wish for the days of Enable/OA.

Anyone here have time to help out an American who's down on his luck?

50 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am not taking your penguin to New Jersey.

Shows how old some of us are on the forum, doesn't it?

Who used to be the keeper of the forum age list? Are they still around?

8 minutes ago, aleixa said:

There was a forum age list? Was this before or after EGS melded into 910CMX?

I think there was a thread where someone had asked what the general age range was of EGS readers, that was before the great server crash last year.

29 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I think there was a thread where someone had asked what the general age range was of EGS readers, that was before the great server crash last year.

I remember that. So embarrassing. Isn't it enough already that people know I am an old hack?

Aha! Makes sense... with some of issues and... lack of participation from some of the more seasoned members of the forum, I don't remember.

Admittedly, since there's not a lot of activity in the non-EGS portions of the board, I don't visit the site as frequently as I once did.

Also, I'm sad that my post count went away.

1 minute ago, aleixa said:

Aha! Makes sense... with some of issues and... lack of participation from some of the more seasoned members of the forum, I don't remember.

Admittedly, since there's not a lot of activity in the non-EGS portions of the board, I don't visit the site as frequently as I once did.

Also, I'm sad that my post count went away.

It's still good to see you. Come as often as you like, stay as long as you like, and please have fun. :)

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

There was a massive birth year list at Keenspot. I was up near the top, even back then.

But behind the Pharoah by a number of years... a 4-digit number.