• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Grand Tour  S01E02

Still freaking great.  The intro, however, was not the zillion dollar epic that S01E01 had, but then again not many things are.  Props to the dude that built a road legal car based on measuring a 1/32 scale model and multiplying by 32.

Since all the major shopping areas are about 30 miles east of us, we went 50 miles west to a beach in Ocean Shores, WA.

For several years in childhood I lived in easy walking distance of open-ocean beaches, but my lady didn't, and neither of us has been to an open-ocean Pacific beach in decades. Also, there's a good size storm that at the time was about 80 miles offshore.

We just stood there watching the waves for maybe 10 minutes. There were tears on her face afterward.

The Grand Tour S01E04

This one really hit the sweet spot.  Felt almost exactly like an old school Top Gear say series 15 or so.

That being said, PETA members and people easily grossed out might want to give this one a pass.  Clarkson rebuilds a Land Rover body with bones and leather, then ends up using raw meat to repair it with.  Granted it was filmed in Wales, but it was summer and the effects on leaving meat out at room temperature were fully showing.

Extra points to Richard and Jeremy for doing Stairway to Heaven as a conversation.  It makes sense in context.

Just finished watching Midnight Mass at the Vatican..

This year, the sleeves on The Pope's robe were long and fairly stiff, so I could not see what was on his wrist.

I remember watching one Midnight Mass and becoming disturbed when I noticed Pope Francis was wearing a watch at the service.

Francis, if I may, Frank...

You are the Supreme Pontiff of the Roman Church.  Thousands of people came to Rome specifically to see and hear your message.  Your boss is under no obligation to consider the complaints of anyone who thinks your Homily was too short or too long.  Leave the watch and the jangling Vespa keys in the Sacristy.

On 12/25/2016 at 7:44 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Francis, if I may, Frank...

You are the Supreme Pontiff of the Roman Church.  Thousands of people came to Rome specifically to see and hear your message.  Your boss is under no obligation to consider the complaints of anyone who thinks your Homily was too short or too long.  Leave the watch and the jangling Vespa keys in the Sacristy.

Pharaoh, if I may...

I think you are being a little influenced by being a retired God-King, here. Not only are you from a time where most time measuring devices functioned through either star positioning or the shadow cast by the Sun (arguably also a form of star positioning) but you also operated from a position of being in charge of how all time is spent. It is possible that he wore the watch not as much because he was afraid of possible complaints but simply because he was being considerate of his audience.

Then again, it may be me who is projecting. I myself tend to ration my time usage when public speaking sharply because I do not wish to have my audience die from boredom. It is such a depressing way to end a performance.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I do not wish to have my audience die from boredom. It is such a depressing way to end a performance.

That was an occasionally used method of execution.  It still exists in the form of the Filibuster of the United States Senate as a means to kill legislation.

Personally, I preferred the more direct technique employed by Cassius and Brutus.

In line for popcorn. We're gonna watch Rogue One. Oops phone off gotta go bye

The Tournament of Roses Parade.

I have it on three different networks.  And I'm mostly watching the commentators.

Howzabout pointing the cameras and microphones at the parade?  Then you could add scrolling text describing the bands, floats, and flowers instead of having a minor celebrity from your network's daytime lineup read that text off a teleprompter while attempting to act playful with the curbside commentator.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
spelling

Unfortunately, the commentators will not shut up. And they remind you every five minutes that the parade is presented "commercial free" by Miracle Grow before then plugging another HGTV show or contest. And not a word about the largest marching Tambourine unit anywhere.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added