• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

More live Aussie Rules Football from Melbourne. Essendon leads North Melbourne 71 to 61 with just under 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

And no one is waiting for anyone to come back from the hospital, thank goodness.

I tuned in to a Celtic Thunder special on PBS during the gap between the end of one show and the start of the evening news.

The first song they performed after I tuned in was "The Dutchman" set in Amsterdam and written by Chicago's Michael Peter Smith.

The next song was "A Place In The Choir" by Bill Staines, an American folk music icon and winner of the National Yodeling Championship.

Ah.  This is obviously some strange usage of the word "Celtic" that I hadn't previously been aware of.

They tried, I suppose, by messing with the lyrics.  The first line of the chorus is "All God's critters got a place in the choir" but they changed critters to "creatures."  They changed possum to otter, and raccoon to weasel, but they left in the alligator and coyote.  The only good thing was hearing the line about critters with bass voices (which, come to think of it, includes a hippopotamus!) being sung by an actual bass.

Yes, the fourth line is a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference.  Well spotted!

A NOVA episode, "Eclipse Over America" S44E11, which must have been quite a job to finish editing together given that the eclipse in question only happened three days ago.  There was a lot that was put together ahead of time, naturally, but there's a surprising amount of footage from the eclipse itself!

Qualifying for the Italian Formula 1 Grand Prix of Monza. Conditions are full wet and horrible. One of the Haas drivers wrecked in the rain and brought Q1 to a halt with a red flag. They may not re-start qualifying for the race.

I never realized that Monza was so close to Switzerland.

Live webcams in Miami on Ocean Drive and in Key West overlooking a beach with palm trees.  It amazes me how many people I've seen still out on the streets in Miami, a couple of blocks from the ocean, stopping to take a selfie in front of whatever monument this camera is next to!  Um, aren't you people supposed to have evacuated?

Okay, Key West's Mallory Square beats Miami's Ocean Drive hands down when it comes to people playing tourist in a hurricane.  I have a screencap with at least eight or ten people out and about, including one bunch walking two small dogs!  Hey, if you choose to put your own life in danger by not evacuating, and compound it by visiting the seashore, that's your choice, but don't put your poor doggies at risk of sharing your Darwin Award!

10 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Okay, Key West's Mallory Square beats Miami's Ocean Drive hands down when it comes to people playing tourist in a hurricane.  I have a screencap with at least eight or ten people out and about, including one bunch walking two small dogs!  Hey, if you choose to put your own life in danger by not evacuating, and compound it by visiting the seashore, that's your choice, but don't put your poor doggies at risk of sharing your Darwin Award!

The latest tracks are showing a path more toward the Gulf side of Florida. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing for the Miami area. They'll miss the direct hit, but they'll get the northeast quadrant winds in a worst-case scenario.

Just finished watching the last race of the IndyCar season from Sonoma, which determined the season champion. Simon Pagenaud won the race, but he didn't finish far out enough in front to take the 2017 Championship. That went to Josef Newgarden, a first-year driver for Roger Penske's team. He won by 13 points over Pagenaud, also a Penske driver and the 2016 Champion.

I can't wait to see the 2018 season. They've got a new aero kit coming in for both Honda and Chevy, so it'll be engine vs. engine instead of chassis/engine vs. chassis/engine. More on the engineers and the drivers than the manufacturers. It's gonna be a hell of a year.

Aussie Rules Football - 2nd Preliminary Final. Seven minutes left. Richmond Tigers lead Greater Western Sydney Giants, 90-61. Richmond hasn't been to the Grand Final since 1983. GWS has only been in existence for 6 years. The winner takes on the Adelaide Crows next week in the Grand Final.