• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

The Petit Le Mans IMSA event from Road Atlanta. I just figured out that IMSA's timing and scoring app is available in the Windows Store, which I now have a real use for! Coolness!

I still read that as Illinois Math and Science Academy.  Now there's someone I could root for on TV!  I want my ESPN-Geek, with College Bowl and the National Spelling and Geography Bees and Quidditch and chess and all the math competitions.  I know they could find enough programming to fill a channel!

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Added the Texas Longhorns-Kansas State game to my feed. Now I've got it plus timing and scoring from the Petit Le Mans IMSA app going at the same time.

Sometimes the iPhone makes me shake my head in wonder. I am trying to remember the distant days of my youth when there wasn't even an Internet and they barely make sense anymore when I look at this electronic miracle device. My brother got a pocket calculator on his 12th birthday and the silly thing couldn't even do as much as the calculator app on my phone.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Sometimes the iPhone makes me shake my head in wonder.

I only wish I had an iPhone! No, my phone is a Nokia Lumia 1020, more commonly known as a Windows Phone. It wouldn't handle the Longhorn game, and since it runs Win8.1, it probably wouldn't be compatible with the IMSA app. No, thanks to a lack of popularity and a lack of support by Microsoft, my phone has been reduced to a lousy phone, so-so text, and decent camera device ... plus a calculator.

Mrs. Prof and my son are going to have a discussion about what to do for the situation. It'll probably end up being a Christmas present. Seriously, my phone use patterns don't warrant an iPhone 8. I don't want anyone but my family calling me, and I'd rather them call than text. Everything else I do on the computer here at the house, since I'm close to being a shut-in. (Yesterday's multitask was done on a high-powered GIGABYTE P55wv5 laptop customized through XOTIC PC.)

I'd love a high-powered phone to go with my laptop, but for what?

20 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I only wish I had an iPhone! No, my phone is a Nokia Lumia 1020, more commonly known as a Windows Phone. It wouldn't handle the Longhorn game, and since it runs Win8.1, it probably wouldn't be compatible with the IMSA app. No, thanks to a lack of popularity and a lack of support by Microsoft, my phone has been reduced to a lousy phone, so-so text, and decent camera device ... plus a calculator.

Mrs. Prof and my son are going to have a discussion about what to do for the situation. It'll probably end up being a Christmas present. Seriously, my phone use patterns don't warrant an iPhone 8. I don't want anyone but my family calling me, and I'd rather them call than text. Everything else I do on the computer here at the house, since I'm close to being a shut-in. (Yesterday's multitask was done on a high-powered GIGABYTE P55wv5 laptop customized through XOTIC PC.)

I'd love a high-powered phone to go with my laptop, but for what?

Hm. I can see the problem. My own iPhone is a 5S and is kind of lagging behind as far as top of the line goes, but it is still darn good and so far has no trouble running any of the apps I rely the most on. Even then I am still sure I am not using even remotely near its full capacity. But it is still a wonderful toy and I carry it with me everywhere. The Kindle app alone makes it worth it for me, I already have a ridiculous amount of books stored on it so whenever I have to sit and wait I just pull out something like Churchill's History of World War II (all six volumes), a popcorn sci fi or fantasy book (dozens of these) or some of the stuff that is supposed to make me a more Learned and Cultured person (a double handful of these.) On the same phone that is smaller than my first pocket calculator.

To my fifteen year old self, this would have been magic. And so many people today are already taking the darn things for granted. They make my head reel at times.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Umm.......

There are a bunch of geeks who have come up with rules for a ground-based version of Quidditch.  Players run around with a broomstick between their legs (seen as a similar handicap as not using your hands in soccer or not traveling in basketball).  The Golden Snitch is a tennis ball in the toe of a yellow sock hung from the waist of a person dressed in yellow (no broomstick) who tried to evade the Seekers.  Bludgers are dodgeballs and the Quaffle is a slightly deflated volleyball.  Teams ate mixed-gender and Title 9 3/4 addresses gender equity while acknowledging and including non-binary players.  Seems pretty cool and hilarious at the same time. :-)

28 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

There are a bunch of geeks who have come up with rules for a ground-based version of Quidditch.  Players run around with a broomstick between their legs (seen as a similar handicap as not using your hands in soccer or not traveling in basketball).  The Golden Snitch is a tennis ball in the toe of a yellow sock hung from the waist of a person dressed in yellow (no broomstick) who tried to evade the Seekers.  Bludgers are dodgeballs and the Quaffle is a slightly deflated volleyball.  Teams ate mixed-gender and Title 9 3/4 addresses gender equity while acknowledging and including non-binary players.  Seems pretty cool and hilarious at the same time. :-)

Ahh, gotcha. I had thought you were trying to sneak that one in for giggles.

Ye gods, just watch the singer's face in this one!

I love seeing him "get into character" at the start, and the fact that he can keep thar up the whole song, makes my face hurt just thinking about it!

Reminds me of Tom Smith singing "I Want To Be Peter Lorre"

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

By my own definition as a young adult, I'm living in yankeeland now. Anything north of the Lower Colorado River (the one in Texas) is what I used to consider yankeeland.

Still do, sort of.

Durn Mason-Dixon Line. It keeps shifting around. It's been impossible to pin down ever since that time when Carmen San Diego stole it.

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

By my own definition as a young adult, I'm living in yankeeland now.

Meh.   You are living in Baja Oklahoma.

I, of course, now really live in Yankee land.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Meh.   You are living in Baja Oklahoma.

I, of course, now really live in Yankee land.

I'm just glad you're not in Oklahoma anymore. My Longhorns have been having trouble with anything in that part of the country. Can you believe it - three overtime games in one season?

11 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Acadia can still force OT if they just score eight consecutive TD with 2 pt conversions without letting Western get the ball.

It can happen...

Maybe...

Not really, game's over and Acadia managed to get a 3 point field goal, but Western won 81-3

The Bill, a long-running UK cop show that I've been watching a lot of lately to investigate its rather bizarre IMDb ratings. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084987/epdate

What baffles me is that the episodes getting the most attention from IMDb voters are usually the ones that have the least to do with the show's most iconic storylines. The Don Beech scandal has been seemingly ignored aside from a special episode set in Sydney, Beech on the Run. The 2002 episodes involving Chief Inspector Conway's murder, DS Singh's resignation and a fire that killed six other officers have been seemingly ignored, yet the transitional episode in between gets ten votes. The 2005 Sun Hill Fire has been ignored yet a relatively uneventful episode later that year gets 14  votes. The murder of Sgt. Boyden has been ignored but the episode featuring the investigation of his death on a short-lived spin-off got 15 votes. And so on.

Went to a performance of Into the Woods in which a co-worker's son was playing Jack.  It was a lot of fun, and I cried a bit at the end, all the more surprising because I'd seen the show before, by a more professional company.  This was basically community theater, with the added complication of having to work in the children's ensemble the group always uses, in this case by dressing them up as villagers and woods fairies and the like, to move around bits of the set when the location changes.  The percussion occasionally drowned out the performers, but again, this was low budget -- actually, that was one of the very few ways that showed, as the set, props, costumes, and especially main cast performances were quite professional overall.

I should go to shows more often. :-)

Dallas Stars hosting the Nashville Predators. Nashville just laid its third goal on the Stars to make it 3-0 Predators and chased Dallas goalie Bishop from the net. I don't know what the deal is with Nashville, but they always seem to have Dallas's number.

OK, I have watched the first 5 shows of "Season 20" mythbusters. I am less than totally on board with them. I know they went through a reality show to get the gig, but it's like they never watched any of the shows. We know that a shot gun shell takes more than just a nail to fire it off and out side of a barrel they do squat for damage. The Build Team showed us that. We know that if you want to make some thing go fast, you use an air canon, not a bungee powered sled. All this is old hat guys, get your crap together.