• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

On 3/5/2018 at 9:37 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I know that I don't see and hear everything that happens around me.  But the things my brain inserts to fill in the gaps often scares me.

What I hear people say is often much more interesting than what they actually said.

On 3/8/2018 at 10:45 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Well, my brain is playing tricks on me again.

Watching the program guide on the satellite receiver.  One channel was showing "Supernatural", the next was showing "Friends".  And for just a moment, I thought it said "Superfriends".

My mate occasionally likes to go to the TV listings page and read adjacent (vertically or horizontally) entries as if they are a single show. This can be particularly amusing approaching a something-30 mark, when many of the listings will be oddly truncated to fit in the remaining half-hour slot.

"Married... Without a Trace", anyone?

3 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

What I hear people say is often much more interesting than what they actually said.

My mate occasionally likes to go to the TV listings page and read adjacent (vertically or horizontally) entries as if they are a single show. This can be particularly amusing approaching a something-30 mark, when many of the listings will be oddly truncated to fit in the remaining half-hour slot.

"Married... Without a Trace", anyone?

That happened to me once when I was reading a densely printed D&D rulebook. I managed to skip a line with the following result.

The book was describing one of the paladin-god Torm's avatar shapes. Twelve feet tall, surrounded by divine light, causing awe and fear in all of evil alignment who beholds him and wielding a great flaming sword. I then went on to read, "It is this form he uses when he intends to be discreet."

I did a rather large double take, then noticed the line I had skipped. It covered a more reasonable six feet tall form in traveler's clothes who looked like a weatherbeaten mercenary. That made a bit more sense.

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If someone twelve feet tall with a flaming sword says that he is discreet, then he is most certainly discreet.

That was also the joke in our playing group. We envisioned Torm 'stealthily' entering Zhentil Keep and imagined Fzoul Chembryl, Lord Manshoon and all their guards and henchmen going, "Oh crap, there's Torm again. Everybody, pretend you don't notice him!"

I don't know how this ended up in my recommendations, but here's this thing.

Basically: LEGO train multi-track drifting, set to "Deja Vu" from Initial D.

Catchy song. I'd put it in the 'listening' thread with a lyrics video (here's a link to one), but I felt this was more fun to show than a bunch of words.

Also, tire company Goodyear is working on spherical tires, like from the I, Robot movie. I can picture someone driving sideways (literally sideways) to this music.

I'm at the theaters. Gonna watch Avengers: Infinity War. Oop, phones off gotta go bye!

On 5/2/2018 at 8:30 PM, CritterKeeper said:

A day late.....

On 5/2/2018 at 9:03 PM, The Old Hack said:

But not a dollar short, I hope! :icon_eek:

Nah, I'm lucky.  Most things I want, I'm either really far from a dollar short, or really far from ever affording.

While watching the royal wedding (replay on Ewe Toob) I was struck by a premonition.

At some point in the next year, that is, before the end of May 2019, Meghan the Duchess of Sussex will come to the United States and hit the media circuit hard.

She will be promoting a Charitable cause, although it will really be more of a book tour.  Her book may be largely ghost written.

One of the more thoughtful scenes in this tour will be when she appears on The Daily Show with Trevor Noah where they will have a carefully scripted conversation about what it is to be Mixed-Race in the United States and the British Commonwealth.

At least one talk show appearance will be interrupted when Howie Mandel makes a "Surprise" visit.

She will appear on Sesame Street.  In at least one segment, she will appear with The Count in her role as The Countess of Dumbarton.

Just finished: The Mouse on the Moon (Youtube)
Just startingThis Island Earth (Youtube)

These are old movies, but worth a look, especially Earth. Both were based (loosely) on novels, and I've read both novels. Mouse is the second "Mouse" movie and was based on the second Mouse book by Leonard Wibberly about the (fictional) smallest nation in the world, the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

Saw earlier today: The Incredibles 2 (third time). Spoiler (select to see): When Elastigirl thinks she's found  the Screenslaver's secret hideout, she finds plans of the train that was sabotaged and the helicopter that was hijacked. Right next to the plans, pinned to a corkboard, is a photograph of the real villain smirking at her.

Update 8:30 PDT (03:30 UTC) Five Weeks in a Balloon (1962) (Youtube)

I saw this movie when it came out in 1962 at the Main theater in Mackay, Idaho. I was 11 years old and I thought it was lots of fun. I still do.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Mandatory addition of a movie with Barbara Eden.

Haven't seen The Incredibles 2 yet, but re-watched the original in preparation.  A great movie, well worth taking time to rewatch.  Love all the little bits thrown in for the grown-ups, from parodies of or references to old shows and movies, to hints at hanky-panky between them that the kiddies might not get.  Looking forward to seeing the sequel, maybe this coming weekend.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Haven't seen The Incredibles 2 yet, but re-watched the original in preparation.  A great movie, well worth taking time to rewatch.  Love all the little bits thrown in for the grown-ups, from parodies of or references to old shows and movies, to hints at hanky-panky between them that the kiddies might not get.  Looking forward to seeing the sequel, maybe this coming weekend.

Warning: Incredibles 2 is not epilepsy-friendly. At least one scene contains violently strobing lights. If you are subject to epilepsy or have experienced ill effects due to light sensitivity, be wary of watching this movie.

Due to our medical record, I and my wife will not be seeing this movie, which saddens me because I absolutely loved the first one. :(

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Warning: Incredibles 2 is not epilepsy-friendly. At least one scene contains violently strobing lights. If you are subject to epilepsy or have experienced ill effects due to light sensitivity, be wary of watching this movie.

I have a history of epilepsy going back to 1971 and I've seen this movie four times now, so your mileage may vary.

However, my spoiler smells spoiled today. Possible Spoiling of the Spoiled Spoiler: Person who I thought I glimpsed may not have been the person I thought I glimpsed.

46 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Volcano, the movie. Lots of science problems with it, but good action.

Which Volcano?  Wikipedia lists seven movies that have been released as "Volcano". I've seen two of them, the 1997 edition about a volcano erupting in Los Angeles, and one that came out in 1969 as Krakatoa, East of Java. This was a movie set in 1883 when the actual eruption happened. It does have charm and a wonderful ship from the era when ships still had sails and engines, and the other special effects are good for its time. However, the geniuses who wrote the script didn't bother to look at any maps; Krakatoa is a small island just West of Java. There is a famous island just East of Java, but it's called "Bali". The title became Volcano for the re-release in the Seventies.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Krakatoa, East of Java

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Krakatoa is a small island just West of Java

NOW Krakatoa is a small island just West of Java.  But what about BEFORE the volcano blew it there?

19 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

NOW Krakatoa is a small island just West of Java.  But what about BEFORE the volcano blew it there?

It was a somewhat larger island just west of Java.

I'm at the theaters. Gonna watch Ant Man and the Wasp for my birthday. Oop, phones off gotta go bye!