• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

SPARK: Speed Machines: Clippers, on YouTube. Flying Cloud, Cutty Sark, etc.

I once flew across the Pacific on a Pan Am 747 called the Clipper Flying Cloud. Built a model of the clipper ship when I was a kid, too.

I've been watching a lot of clips of QI on YouTube.  Unfortunately, they seem to have taken down all of the actual episodes.  A few seasons are on Britbox, and a few are on Acorn. 

Hmm, I thought Britbox had the old seasons of Doctor Who, but they only list "Specials" in their page.  Wonder where they've gone now?

Day 3 of the Barrett-Jackson automobile auctions on Motortrend network (used to be Velocity network). Some unique and awesome cars crossing the auction block, like a 1954 Kaiser-Darrin sports car that sold for $82,000 and a 1966 Chevrolet Corvette that just sold for a cool $100,000.

I've been watching the Barrett-Jackson (no relation) auctions for a long time. Even watched them when I was in the hospital back in 2009, recuperating from my broken ankles and botched gastric bypass. An odd link showed up tonight between that auction and this one: they auctioned off a special-edition "Iacocca" version of the Ford Mustang for charity. It brought in $1,000,000 (not unusual for charity cars). Well, that car went back up for auction tonight - no charity involved, just a straight, no-reserve sale. The final price? $64,000.

I only hope the owner was able to write off that million bucks when they originally bought it.

It seems that I will NOT be watching the Lunar Eclipse tonight.

Too cloudy and overcast where I am in Florida.

What upsets me is that this will be the last Total Lunar Eclipse visible on Earth until 2022.

There will be Partial and Umbral Lunar Eclipses, but not another Total.

Oh well.  Here's hoping that everyone else looking up will enjoy the show.

Thanks for the reminder!  I saw the full moon rise bright and clear an hour or two ago.  Now there's a bit of haze visible around it.  Fingers crossed that it will stay mostly clear long enough to see the eclipse!

It's clear in my area. Watching the lit part go away as we speak.

Edit: Not clear. NOT CLEAR! Partly cloudy at the worst moment! Thin, patchy, but troublesome.

Still neat, though.

Edit 2: False alarm. Show's still on.

Edited by Zorua
Weather is fickle

Well there were a few breaks in the clouds that let me see the coppery coloured moon.

But I wasn't able to watch the slow parade from full into shadow to red back to shadow back to full over the course of an hour or so.

And then, the sky just cleared up a few hours after the eclipse was over leaving a very bright, but otherwise ordinary, full moon.

Good clear sky here, just way too cold to stay out very long at a time.  Mickey got walked several times in quick succession, giving me several brief looks at different stages.  Very cool sight!

There are times when the internet leaves me confused.

I just watched a Sci-Show video on You Tube that explained the fluid dynamics of why dogs, humans, elephants, and almost everything in between (specifically, land dwelling mammals larger than three kilograms) will all drain full bladders in about twenty one seconds.

I haven't used the stop watch on my cell phone in the restroom yet.  But I know that I will eventually give into temptation.

One of the local sci-fi fan-run conventions was last weekend, and as usual, there were some room parties that went above and beyond on the decorations and theme-ing.  One was a group of teens who turned the room into a giant box fort.  Another covered the walls with enlarged versions of comic book characters (on paper, not the walls themselves, we do like this hotel and don't want to be kicked out).  

My favorite was themed on the Alien/Aliens movies, with plush chestbursters and facehuggers on random corners and shelves, plus a few in glowing "specimen jars", and giant poster-style images of various portions of a spaceship to make it seem like the room was the Nostromo.  Bits of duct and running strings of light added to the feel of the ship.  There was a plush orange tabby cat above the TV with an ID badge identifying him as Jonesy, the cat from the movies, with his position listed as "Coping Officer" and the ID number 009/L1-VE5.  Everyone running the party had Nostromo T-shirts, mostly white print on black shirts but one in pink ink and one in pink glitter ink.  And best of all, they had a actual official ALIENS coloring book, and had made copies of various pages and set them out with a big box of crayons.  :-)

They had the movies running, with captions on, and it's always good to get to rediscover how great a classic movie is!

The only Chicago-area con I'm at all familiar with is Windycon, which I happened entirely coincidentally to be in town for in 1989 or 1990. I was there for a two-week training program on some new software my employer was buying, and the convention was on the intervening weekend; I found out about it late Saturday evening.

The fun thing was, Mercedes Lackey recognized me in the hall and answered a silly question I had asked her at Norwescon.

That being one of two times I spent even a full day in the Chicago area. The other was in the fall of 1977 around Thanksgiving; for various reasons I can pin that one down precisely.

It's always fun when an author you love recognizes you.  I still have a T-shirt somewhere from the Weis-Hickman Rebel Alliance.

This weekend had Phil and Kaja Foglio as guests of honor.  Well, Phil officially, but they're basically a package deal.  Hence my being inspired to re-read and hopefully catch up on Girl Genius.

I'm at the theaters. Gonna watch Captain Marvel. Oop, phones off gotta go bye!