• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

If you go to a theatre to see a play, the cast is performing for the audience

But if go to a studio to see the production of a television show, or to a stadium to see a televised sporting event, the producers often expect the audience to act like living set pieces

Watching a lot of the XXIV Olympic Winter Games

What I've found rather intriguing so far is a Slovenian Ski Jumper who has so far won two gold medals, 

Despite experiencing the greatest Thrill of Victory, Urša Bogataj will never be as famous as another Slovenian (Skiing for Yugoslavia) Ski Jumper also named Bogataj who, five decades ago, became notorious as The Agony of Defeat

I'll tell you one thing I'm not going to be watching today, The Superb Owl.  If it really was a documentary about owls I might watch it, if I had a TV.  The Discovery channel is missing a mark not doing just that.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And three vision impaired Ukrainians sweep the Biathlon podium.  I suspect they would prefer to be shooting different targets . . . 

Considering that the modern biathlon is based, in the most part, on Scandinavian soldiers exercises, I'm quite sure that they would be snipers at least.   I was somewhat surprised to find that the biathlon was only added to the Olympics in 1960.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The Paralympic Winter Games

Sled Hockey is the most brutal game on ice 

And three vision impaired Ukrainians sweep the Biathlon podium.  I suspect they would prefer to be shooting different targets . . . 

This made me think of the Ray Charles scene in The Blues Brothers, shooting at a shoplifter.

I'm watching Mythbuster.  They are doing the "herding cats" expression thing.  Explorer is just this side of freaking out while sitting on my lap.  She's looking up a the speakers wondering what is going on.

On 2/13/2022 at 10:28 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Watching a lot of the XXIV Olympic Winter Games

What I've found rather intriguing so far is a Slovenian Ski Jumper who has so far won two gold medals, 

Despite experiencing the greatest Thrill of Victory, Urša Bogataj will never be as famous as another Slovenian (Skiing for Yugoslavia) Ski Jumper also named Bogataj who, five decades ago, became notorious as The Agony of Defeat

I just noticed this. I remember that few seconds of video, every week on Wide World of Sports. I recall wondering who the poor guy was.

21 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm watching Mythbuster.  They are doing the "herding cats" expression thing.  Explorer is just this side of freaking out while sitting on my lap.  She's looking up a the speakers wondering what is going on.

I would like to watch that. Even the discussion of test criteria would be interesting, how do they avoid being subjective.

I wonder if she heard 'Cats in mild distress'.

James May, of Top Gear/The Grand Tour fame,  "Our Man In ---"  series has released season 2, "Our man in Italy" on Amazon Prime.  I'm watching them one a day, not binging as to not burn myself out on it.  Even if you don't watch TG/GT it's well worth watching, assuming you like travelogue show at all.  Season 1 was "Our Man in Japan", which was quite good.  Each season is stand alone, so you don't need to watch season 1 to watch this one.

The Home Run Derby from the Major League Baseball All-Star Game, held the night before the big game itself. Some would argue that this is more exciting than the game itself. I'm not so sure either of them is terribly exciting. 

Saw Nope last night. Was odd, very creative, kind of left a lot to interpretation. Glad I saw it, but would not be in my top twenty to re-watch.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
Added link to film

If you have Discovery+ and like weird Rube Goldberg like machines and/or Richard Hammond, you should watch Contraption Masters.  Great fun.

I saw The Woman King a couple of nights ago. It was a good action movie, the framing was more or less based on real history, to a point, but fact checking later, it was sadly fictional. A key point is that in the movie, the women kick out the slave trade, in real history, the Agojie's captives were sold as part of the slave trade, this is why Dahomey prospered. Reality was definitely sadder than fiction. The characters were made up, but may have been based on real people, perhaps a mish mash of Dahomey history. The king, King Ghezo was a real person, reigned 1818 to 1858.

This Smithsonian article covers the subject well.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
Added link to film

I saw Black Adam, i recommend the movie if you like superhero movies. I was not familiar with Black Adam as a character, they used him well. He's an anti-hero, and is played by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, who is clearly in his milieu.

Noteworthy, Black Adam is a DC property, and DC and Marvel are becoming mirror images of each other.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
Added link to film

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

What service(s) does the DCU stream on?

Wikipedia This seems to be up to date.

This info is a bit dated. The properties are in a state of flux, check for the latest info. This seemed to be a good thumbnail of how the changes were panning out.

I saw them in a theater. There is one within a short walk of my apartment; the prices are surprisingly reasonable, less than before COVID. I don't know how they can afford it, they are nearly empty most of the shows I've gone to, and they have way fewer seats. I'm going to avail myself of the resource until they close it.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

An anti-hero?

The Black Adam I knew back in the Otto Binder- Fawcet days was a villain so obsessed with world domination & revenge that he was irredemable

Right, it's a ret-con, which is pretty much the norm any more. Indeed, the ret-con cycle seems to be shortening; stability in a setting is vanishing.

I saw Till last night. The film highlights a watershed event in US racial violence. It is not a light film to enjoy, it is semi-documentary and thought provoking.

The film focuses more on Mamie Till, Emmett's mother, than on Emmett. It is substantially accurate, a few liberties were taken. Her husband Louis Till was said in the movie to have died in the service during WW II. This is technically correct; he was in the US Army, and he died by hanging for allegedly being involved in a murder and rape. There is reasonable evidence he actually was guilty, but room for doubt. A second husband, "Pink" Bradley, is edited out of her history.

More egregiously, the movie portrays 21 year old Carolyn Bryant as aggressively pursuing Emmett Till for flirting with her. What is true, and is portrayed in the movie, is that she lied in court, and made up a story of Emmett's aggressively approaching her. There is reason to believe she was pressured into this by her husband, Roy Bryant, who was on trial for the murder with John William Milam.

Both men were acquitted, both not long after confessed to the murder via an interview with Look magazine for which they were paid; by 'double jeopardy' protection (a US law), they could not be retried (I question this, seems like new evidence - the confessions - could reopen the case). They were paid several thousand dollars, but the confession in the article cost them far more than the money they received. Both men found life difficult afterward.

Sadly, this film seems necessary in our era. Perhaps it's just that there is no intelligent life on earth.