• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

The Petit Le Mans IMSA event from Road Atlanta. I just figured out that IMSA's timing and scoring app is available in the Windows Store, which I now have a real use for! Coolness!

I still read that as Illinois Math and Science Academy.  Now there's someone I could root for on TV!  I want my ESPN-Geek, with College Bowl and the National Spelling and Geography Bees and Quidditch and chess and all the math competitions.  I know they could find enough programming to fill a channel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Added the Texas Longhorns-Kansas State game to my feed. Now I've got it plus timing and scoring from the Petit Le Mans IMSA app going at the same time.

Sometimes the iPhone makes me shake my head in wonder. I am trying to remember the distant days of my youth when there wasn't even an Internet and they barely make sense anymore when I look at this electronic miracle device. My brother got a pocket calculator on his 12th birthday and the silly thing couldn't even do as much as the calculator app on my phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Sometimes the iPhone makes me shake my head in wonder.

I only wish I had an iPhone! No, my phone is a Nokia Lumia 1020, more commonly known as a Windows Phone. It wouldn't handle the Longhorn game, and since it runs Win8.1, it probably wouldn't be compatible with the IMSA app. No, thanks to a lack of popularity and a lack of support by Microsoft, my phone has been reduced to a lousy phone, so-so text, and decent camera device ... plus a calculator.

Mrs. Prof and my son are going to have a discussion about what to do for the situation. It'll probably end up being a Christmas present. Seriously, my phone use patterns don't warrant an iPhone 8. I don't want anyone but my family calling me, and I'd rather them call than text. Everything else I do on the computer here at the house, since I'm close to being a shut-in. (Yesterday's multitask was done on a high-powered GIGABYTE P55wv5 laptop customized through XOTIC PC.)

I'd love a high-powered phone to go with my laptop, but for what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I only wish I had an iPhone! No, my phone is a Nokia Lumia 1020, more commonly known as a Windows Phone. It wouldn't handle the Longhorn game, and since it runs Win8.1, it probably wouldn't be compatible with the IMSA app. No, thanks to a lack of popularity and a lack of support by Microsoft, my phone has been reduced to a lousy phone, so-so text, and decent camera device ... plus a calculator.

Mrs. Prof and my son are going to have a discussion about what to do for the situation. It'll probably end up being a Christmas present. Seriously, my phone use patterns don't warrant an iPhone 8. I don't want anyone but my family calling me, and I'd rather them call than text. Everything else I do on the computer here at the house, since I'm close to being a shut-in. (Yesterday's multitask was done on a high-powered GIGABYTE P55wv5 laptop customized through XOTIC PC.)

I'd love a high-powered phone to go with my laptop, but for what?

Hm. I can see the problem. My own iPhone is a 5S and is kind of lagging behind as far as top of the line goes, but it is still darn good and so far has no trouble running any of the apps I rely the most on. Even then I am still sure I am not using even remotely near its full capacity. But it is still a wonderful toy and I carry it with me everywhere. The Kindle app alone makes it worth it for me, I already have a ridiculous amount of books stored on it so whenever I have to sit and wait I just pull out something like Churchill's History of World War II (all six volumes), a popcorn sci fi or fantasy book (dozens of these) or some of the stuff that is supposed to make me a more Learned and Cultured person (a double handful of these.) On the same phone that is smaller than my first pocket calculator.

To my fifteen year old self, this would have been magic. And so many people today are already taking the darn things for granted. They make my head reel at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Umm.......

There are a bunch of geeks who have come up with rules for a ground-based version of Quidditch.  Players run around with a broomstick between their legs (seen as a similar handicap as not using your hands in soccer or not traveling in basketball).  The Golden Snitch is a tennis ball in the toe of a yellow sock hung from the waist of a person dressed in yellow (no broomstick) who tried to evade the Seekers.  Bludgers are dodgeballs and the Quaffle is a slightly deflated volleyball.  Teams ate mixed-gender and Title 9 3/4 addresses gender equity while acknowledging and including non-binary players.  Seems pretty cool and hilarious at the same time. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

There are a bunch of geeks who have come up with rules for a ground-based version of Quidditch.  Players run around with a broomstick between their legs (seen as a similar handicap as not using your hands in soccer or not traveling in basketball).  The Golden Snitch is a tennis ball in the toe of a yellow sock hung from the waist of a person dressed in yellow (no broomstick) who tried to evade the Seekers.  Bludgers are dodgeballs and the Quaffle is a slightly deflated volleyball.  Teams ate mixed-gender and Title 9 3/4 addresses gender equity while acknowledging and including non-binary players.  Seems pretty cool and hilarious at the same time. :-)

Ahh, gotcha. I had thought you were trying to sneak that one in for giggles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pre-game show on FS1 for the ALCS (Baseball: American League Championship Series). The game is in Houston, where the Astros will be taking on the New York Yankees.

GO 'STROS!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ye gods, just watch the singer's face in this one!

I love seeing him "get into character" at the start, and the fact that he can keep thar up the whole song, makes my face hurt just thinking about it!

Reminds me of Tom Smith singing "I Want To Be Peter Lorre"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By my own definition as a young adult, I'm living in yankeeland now. Anything north of the Lower Colorado River (the one in Texas) is what I used to consider yankeeland.

Still do, sort of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now