• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Recommended Posts

A certain Christmas special.

I expect that another Doctor will have more to say about Who knows what.

But I would like to say that I didn't realize just how much I missed the old set that was bigger on the inside than the outside.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2017 at 8:50 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A certain Christmas special.

I expect that another Doctor will have more to say about Who knows what.

But I would like to say that I didn't realize just how much I missed the old set that was bigger on the inside than the outside.

I really enjoyed it!

It's nice to see episodes where no one is actually being evil.  And I'd suspect Moffat of trolling Chibnall with what happened to the Doctor just after regenerating, but I read that Moffat wrote everything up to that point, and Chibnall wrote everything after, so he did it to himself!  My sister thinks maybe at least the start of the series will have the Doctor trapped on Earth, like early Pertwee was, hence the larger number of Companions they announced.  Does it count as a "crowded TARDIS if they're not actually

in the TARDIS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  Hide contents

Was anyone really surprised about the identity of "the Captain" even though they withheld the character's name until the end?

Maybe if they had withheld the moustache it might have been more of a shock.

Who else knew it right off the bat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Who else knew it right off the bat?

Batman, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been trying to watch the various "Ancient Aliens" and paranormal shows for back ground information for "Edge of Imperial Space".

I've been failing, the sound of my eyes rolling drowns out the TV's sound...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A car commercial during the Superbowl used pieces of a speech by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  Someone has released a version of that commercial which used a different part of the same speech -- in which Dr. King criticized car commercials.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/5/16973630/super-bowl-martin-luther-king-ram-commercial

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Dear Science Channel.   Please make Tamara a permanent part of the the new Mythbusters show.

I was certainly disappointed it was going to be two guys....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A webcam of the French Quarter in New Orleans.  I am not one of those people who hate crowds.  I don't drink, but it would still be a lot of fun to see Mardi Gras in person someday!

Yet another reason to wish I could teleport....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The TV was on and I wasn't really paying attention.

Then a commercial comes on and I THINK I hear the voice say something like...

"I'm on the go all day.  And I don't always have time to eat right.  So I drink Booze."

After a few double takes, and seeing the commercial repeated on the next break, I realize he was talking about Boost.

I know that I don't see and hear everything that happens around me.  But the things my brain inserts to fill in the gaps often scares me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I know that I don't see and hear everything that happens around me.  But the things my brain inserts to fill in the gaps often scares me.

Tell me about it. I once read a headline that proclaimed that a cop had "illegally forced prostitute to have sex." For some reason, the first track my brain went down was a shocked, "Wait, so if he had followed proper procedure, he could have legally forced her to have sex?" Thankfully it was just a very clumsily phrased headline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Then a commercial comes on and I THINK I hear the voice say something like...

"I'm on the go all day.  And I don't always have time to eat right.  So I drink Booze."

After a few double takes, and seeing the commercial repeated on the next break, I realize he was talking about Boost.

It's not just you, I had the exact same reaction to that commercial!  You would think they'd look for someone who could enunciate clearly for a phrase like that.  Like the song verse about the cotton-pickin' finger-lickin' chicken-plucker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 0:20 AM, The Old Hack said:

"Wait, so if he had followed proper procedure, he could have legally forced her to have sex?"

If your lawyer is good enough, there is a legal way to do almost anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If your lawyer is good enough, there is a legal way to do almost anything.

Typically by redefining "She looked like she would have wanted it" into meaning "informed consent."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my brain is playing tricks on me again.

Watching the program guide on the satellite receiver.  One channel was showing "Supernatural", the next was showing "Friends".  And for just a moment, I thought it said "Superfriends".

That show was the only thing to make be bother to get up on Saturday mornings in the 70s and 80s.  I miss that show.  Don't tease me like that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That show was the only thing to make be bother to get up on Saturday mornings in the 70s and 80s.  I miss that show.  Don't tease me like that!

Oh, I feel your pain. *sigh* Corny as the TV shows of my childhood were, I miss them, and they are not coming back. Even if they did, I would not recognise them today or get the same experience from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Oh, I feel your pain. *sigh* Corny as the TV shows of my childhood were, I miss them, and they are not coming back. Even if they did, I would not recognise them today or get the same experience from them.

My local library has The Tomorrow People on DVD.  Clearly, when I first watched the show on Nickelodeon (back when it was non-commercial!), I had no concept of "cheesy."   Then again, I've enjoyed everything from '70s era Doctor Who to Mystery Science Theater 3000, so "cheesy" is not a deadly sin.

(Actually, the library DVDs aren't the first time I'd seen the show since Nickelodeon....someone on rec.arts.startrek noticed I had a quote from the show in my .sig and sent me VHS tapes....and that whole sentence is probably greek to some....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Then again, I've enjoyed everything from '70s era Doctor Who to Mystery Science Theater 3000, so "cheesy" is not a deadly sin.

In my opinion one should not allow judgments of that kind to influence what one enjoys, nor attempt to impose them on others. If one finds 'cheesy' enjoyable, make the most of it. I personally find it far more pleasant that way rather than watching something supposedly 'cultural' solely so one may later look down one's nose at the less sophisticated hoi polloi that surrounds one. There are forms of entertainment that are not to my taste but as long as I may freely avoid them they do not really worry me. More power to those who do enjoy them and I genuinely wish them all happiness from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now