• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Eh, saw Strange World last night. I do not recommend it. I wanted to see it because in the poster, the animation looks amazing. In all fairness, the animation wasn't bad. OK, now that the positives are out of the way ...

I am not a Disney fan. I was, when I was a child. Disney movies were, even then, distinct for their lack of, mmm, genuinely mature content; very vanilla and naive; intended to be kid safe. But within that context, they were daring, they pushed the stat of the art. The admittedly shallow interpretations of classic stories had special effects that now one else came close to. Disney animation was the gold standard.

Disney is no longer daring, in any sense. They produce formulaic cookie cutter films. They overproduce derivative material, making the source  trite. They are ruining franchises and genres with this approach. Marvel movies now have obligatory kid content. They ramble; the latest Thor lacks focus and seems less than competent, not what I got to a superhero movie to watch.

Strange World suffered from the same shortcomings. Human interactions were arbitrarily pasted onto a loose story framework, not well thought out, and loose edges were often peeling off. Example, the heavy, with a mission to accomplish, locks the protagonists in a closet when they make a discovery and seek to shut down the mission. Then, for no compelling reason, she does a 180 about twenty minutes later, having been convinced by no one that the agenda has changed. To say it felt 'off' understates the case. (In fairness, I'm guessing a kid would not have noticed. I could be wrong, kids can be perceptive.)

In a postmortem conversation with a friend, we realized that Walt Disney had basically escaped a current-Disney-like studio environment by starting his own studio. Mickey Mouse was derived from Oswald Rabbit, a character Disney had worked on, but no longer had any rights to. Disney Studios was founded so he could have creative freedom, and he took personal risks for projects he believed in, going back to the pushing the state of the art that they are noted for.

After his death, Disney became more and more of a corporate machine; you can see this in the Michael Eisner era. If you are an investor, Disney is probably a good deal, I imagine they will continue to crap out profitable drivel for the foreseeable future. I don't expect to get excited about anything they release, and their buying a franchise will likely be the point where I stop watching.

To that point, it has been noted that they are doing OK with Star Wars. Meh, Lucas is both brilliant and stupid. He's not a hard act to follow, just leave the film alone after you release the damn thing and people will think you are doing much better than he did. He's got a legacy of really pitiful prequels to advance your case. That all said, I my estimation, those are proceeding down the same lame path as Disney's other holdings, and they are no longer of great interest, to me, at least.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
fix typo

Oh dear.

I saw the new Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves movie. When I was first invited, I was initially skeptical. The previous several Dungeons & Dragons movies were not good. But I looked this one up, and the reviews were good, and the cast was good. So I went.

It was a very good movie. Probably the best I've seen in a year. Good plot, lots of action, truer to the source material than any previous effort, good CGI, interesting characters. See it if you can. We saw it in IMAX, worth the small mark-up, a few scenes suggested that a 3-D viewing would be especially good.

The production subtext was interesting, and in my opinion, not good. The movie was a collaboration between Hasbro and Disney, Disney did a very good technical job on their end, the cinematography and CGI was astounding. But D&D was branded 'Hasbro Dungeons& Dragons', cutting WotC out without mention. One of our group noted that the D&D monsters they showed were primarily D&D IP monsters (or at least ones they are claiming). It was slick, in a sense it was a two hour commercial.

Hasbro's roots are as a game and toy company, targeted at children, and they did it well in the past. They have morphed into a conglomerate holding company, and they seem to know how to market and stay relevant in their milieu. But recent antics indicate that they are not ready for prime time in an adult market. WotC was founded by adult gamers. They 'get' gamers. Reducing the presence of the WotC brand does not serve the WotC properties well. Branding Magic, The Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons 'Hasbro' cheapens them, and genuinely makes them less genuine; they will in the future be 'managed' by corporate drones who do not know their Tiefling from a hole in the ground.

Will they still make bank? Presumably so. The products have their own inertia. Some of us will specifically avoid D&D in the future and play other systems. There are plenty of good alternatives. Some have been playing the same edition for decades, and do not represent future sales in any case. I expect most will follow the path laid out for them and happily hand over their cash. (Real lemmings do not do what they are reputed to do, so, in essence, these folks are less savvy than a mouse-like critter.)

GW gets a lot of flack for their overpricing, frequent rule changes to push new models, and, recently, vastly overpriced individual models based on their power in their respective game. In a recent trip to our local game store, I took note that D&D is starting down this path. Sadly, D&D shelf space has expanded, Pathfinder, which used to have a whole shelf, had a few books, and GURPS was entirely absent. The D&D models were at increased price, and were pushing out space for the other models.

Will the store do well pushing Hasbro products? Perhaps. They have a large play area, and it is generally crowded; the focus seems to be on D&D, Magic, and GW, although they do host other games. I can't imagine either Hasbro or GW cuts them any break, but the lower volume properties are probably marginal to start with and have slower sales. Sad, but likely the truth.

So, to sum up, good movie, bad mojo.

I watched this last night.  Well worth the time.  It's a stand alone show, you really don't have to know anything about Clarkson, Hammond and May to like it.  Amazon Prime.

OK, why are there traffic cones strewed about the parking lot?  And yeah, bears are always looking for work.  Other than that winter period of course. strewen

Several videos marking the anniversary of The Queen's death & funeral.  

Many of these services, and later Coronation ceremonies, included Greek hymns because the late Queen's husband, and new King's father, was a Prince of Greece.

HRH Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Prince Philip Mountbaten.

Philip from the house of Battenburg.

Great Grandson of Queen Victoria, was a Prince of Greece AND Denmark.

Don't the Danes have any great hymns worth including?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Several videos marking the anniversary of The Queen's death & funeral.  

Many of these services, and later Coronation ceremonies, included Greek hymns because the late Queen's husband, and new King's father, was a Prince of Greece.

HRH Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Prince Philip Mountbaten.

Philip from the house of Battenburg.

Great Grandson of Queen Victoria, was a Prince of Greece AND Denmark.

Don't the Danes have any great hymns worth including?

The former Queen Elizabeth's Great Dane husband? Woof!