• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Wallander: The White Lion.  Second viewing; the first time I saw it was within a couple of days of an episode of Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders that was also set in South Africa, and it was quite interesting to see the Hollywood version versus actual on location filming, with the realism you can expect from a British show.

China just launched it's first manned spacecraft, http://www.cctv-america.com/livestream/ is covering it and looks like it's been successful.

This should be good for space exploration as it's really been only 2 nations that have been leading for the past 60 years. Yeah Japan and Europe have been launching their own satelite and probe missions but as far as actual manned missions it's been Russia and the US and Japan and Europe sent their astronauts through Nasa. Having a third party with capability for manned spaceflight would be good for getting more innovation in technology.

Edit: Sorry, currently Russia has been the one taking astronauts up to the ISS, the US's last own manned space flight was 5 years ago when the shuttle Atlantis made it's last flight.

Of the two "TV" shows I watched, Mythbusters and Top Gear, each had weird endings with the various stars.  It seemed like something important vanished from my life.

Oddly, streaming services are going to be, or at least attempting to, restore them to me.  Netflix has "The White Rabbit Project" coming out, and Amazon has "The Grand Tour", filling my Mythbusters and Top Gear holes in my life, at least in theory.

Now if some one will pick back up Veronica Mars, post movie, my life would be complete.  Well, not really, but I would have some TV to watch.

The crowd outside Wrigley after the Cubs won their last home World Series game.  Now they just have to win both remaining away games....

ETA: Wow, it was at least ten minutes before I heard a single chorus of "Go Cubs Go!"  (Noone ever seems to sing any of the verses, only that damnably repetitive chorus....)

3 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Mrs. Dorsai watched the Cubs, Our Cubs, the Chicago Cubs win the 5th game of the World (yeah, yeah, spare me) Series. Neither of us are sports fans. We both, somehow, care. The Cubs are in the Series. It feels like an alternate reality.

I know how that feels. I normally don't consider myself sportsball people but back in 1992 I watched the European soccer championship religiously because Denmark had made it into it because of an eleventh-hour cancellation. When Denmark won the championship I was sitting with friends yelling loudly at the TV screen like a maniac. :)

6 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Mrs. Dorsai watched the Cubs, Our Cubs, the Chicago Cubs win the 5th game of the World (yeah, yeah, spare me) Series. Neither of us are sports fans. We both, somehow, care. The Cubs are in the Series. It feels like an alternate reality.

Just wait, Marty will get the sports almanac bsck from Biff, and everything will be back to normal.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I know how that feels. I normally don't consider myself sportsball people but back in 1992 I watched the European soccer championship religiously because Denmark had made it into it because of an eleventh-hour cancellation. When Denmark won the championship I was sitting with friends yelling loudly at the TV screen like a maniac. :)

Maybe that's it, everyone seems so happy.  If I had a sport I followed, I suppose it would be baseball, just because so many of my people follow it and there's a social aspect that it would be nice to share. There are "Go Cubs go! signs everywhere; if they win I think the city will go nuts.

13 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

ETA: Wow, it was at least ten minutes before I heard a single chorus of "Go Cubs Go!"  (Noone ever seems to sing any of the verses, only that damnably repetitive chorus....)

"Hey Chicago! Whadaya say? The Cubs are gonna to win today!" Beats listening to the "Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request" which I think will get a revival if they lose the Series. Funny that the same guy wrote both the most upbeat and the most downbeat songs about the same team.  Steve Goodman left us too soon.

14 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

"Hey Chicago! Whadaya say? The Cubs are gonna to win today!" Beats listening to the "Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request" which I think will get a revival if they lose the Series. Funny that the same guy wrote both the most upbeat and the most downbeat songs about the same team.  Steve Goodman left us too soon.

Trouble with The Dying Cubs Fan is that all but the chorus is spoken-word, which makes it rather difficult to sing together in a group.  Or to sing to yourself, for that matter.  "You know, the Law of Averages says / anything will happen that can / But the last time the Cubs won the National League Pennant / Was the year we dropped the Bomb on Japan."  That verse, at least, will be obsolete next year.  Kinda hard to revive it after that.  ;-)

I'm at the theaters. Gonna watch Doctor Strange. Oop, phones off gotta go bye!