• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

7 minutes ago, FolksyFox said:

Yeah I was like "...Elliot did you forget that you can break character from the personas those secret identities give you?" Then again he often forgets to read his spellbook for some reason. Is Nanase the ONLY one who keeps up with hers?

She thought she was keeping up with hers. :)

Mind you she probably got the update that allowed her to customize fairy outfits after she created the Tedd and Susan dolls. Tedd probably can't tell whether someone just got a spell upgrade or had it for a while. Hmm, actually, if Tedd looked at Nanase when she made each doll he would have seen a difference, so I guess she would have had the ability for at least a day.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Mind you she probably got the update that allowed her to customize fairy outfits after she created the Tedd and Susan dolls. Tedd probably can't tell whether someone just got a spell upgrade or had it for a while.

He probably can ... if he's paying attention. On the other hand, as already mentioned in forum for that strip, it is perfectly possible she overlooked that change because it's just small change in middle of old stuff. Her book must be thick ; it's not likely she really re-read it whole regularly, and if changes don't appear always at end ...

7 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:
7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Ashley would love Goth Elliot, but I think he's right in thinking he shouldn't be in a mind altered state. While amusing for us, could be disastrous for Elliot.

Elliot is forgetting he can break character if he wants.

And also that he can copy his secret-identity forms using his be-a-girl spell, and not have to deal with the mind alterations as well.

As for keeping up with the spellbook, i's one think spotting that there are a few new pages at the back with a new spell on them. It's something else entirely to notice that a few words have been added or changed in a spell that has been there for some time and you're already familiar with - even if the change requires the insertion of a new page. (Ninja'd on this part.)

I may have been ninja'd on this, but I think it's entirely possible that the new spell Elliot received is a male secret identity. He may find this out in the next strip.

As for the rest of the thread, I was told there would be no math. :icon_confused:

30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
37 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Mind you she probably got the update that allowed her to customize fairy outfits after she created the Tedd and Susan dolls. Tedd probably can't tell whether someone just got a spell upgrade or had it for a while.

He probably can ... if he's paying attention. On the other hand, as already mentioned in forum for that strip, it is perfectly possible she overlooked that change because it's just small change in middle of old stuff. Her book must be thick ; it's not likely she really re-read it whole regularly, and if changes don't appear always at end ...

when it was first introduced it already looked to be the size of a math textbook, and at the time she had i think between four and six confirmed spells. i think she said something about the texts being absurdly detailed..?

13 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

when it was first introduced it already looked to be the size of a math textbook, and at the time she had i think between four and six confirmed spells. i think she said something about the texts being absurdly detailed..?

She said "ridiculously thorough".

Could Elliot scan the pages of the spell book into some electronic documents, download those documents into the smart phone, and then absorb the phone into the transformed state putting the knowledge of the book directly into the brain?

22 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Could Elliot scan the pages of the spell book into some electronic documents, download those documents into the smart phone, and then absorb the phone into the transformed state putting the knowledge of the book directly into the brain?

Probably, but who's to say that it will stay there when he changes back?

2 minutes ago, Scrapyard_Dragon said:
25 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Probably, but who's to say that it will stay there when he changes back?

Or that the copy now embedded into his super form will stay up to date?

Is anyone else wondering if, now that Elliot has fully accepted his Cheerleadra form, his "normal me" form might now be Cheerleadra?

3 hours ago, Haylo said:

Is anyone else wondering if, now that Elliot has fully accepted his Cheerleadra form, his "normal me" form might now be Cheerleadra?

That is conceivable, but Elliot being "locked out" of his birth form is a complication that the story doesn't need at this point.

On the opposite tack, an increase in the number/variety of forms available would be in keeping with the story.

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I may have been ninja'd on this, but I think it's entirely possible that the new spell Elliot received is a male secret identity. He may find this out in the next strip.

As for the rest of the thread, I was told there would be no math. :icon_confused:

I think this is might be the most likely theory brought up thus far. I would find it rather boring, but I can easily imagine Elliot trying to go "back to male" resulting in him taking on a male identity instead.

3 hours ago, Haylo said:

This is also something I'm considering, and though Ijuin is right that this would be a needless complication, I would definitely find this more fun and interesting than another male form.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

That is conceivable, but Elliot being "locked out" of his birth form is a complication that the story doesn't need at this point.

On the opposite tack, an increase in the number/variety of forms available would be in keeping with the story.

For a less serious scene, Elliot could find out that he can still reach his "Male Human" form, but it now fits into his "decoy identity" spell instead of being his default form...

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

There is *always* math.

Psych is biology.  Biology is chemistry.  Chemistry is physics.  Physics is math.

I've heard of that. What's the origin of the phrase?

39 minutes ago, partner555 said:

I've heard of that. What's the origin of the phrase?

Um, in this case, I made it up in college while I was studying those subjects.  PChem especially sealed the deal.  It is, however, an obvious enough progression that it is quite likely it's been independently created, in various forms.

59 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Um, in this case, I made it up in college while I was studying those subjects.  PChem especially sealed the deal.  It is, however, an obvious enough progression that it is quite likely it's been independently created, in various forms.

Lots.  Famous variants include Ernest Rutherford "All science is either physics or stamp collecting" and Terry Pratchett "Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.”

15 minutes ago, malloyd said:

Lots.  Famous variants include Ernest Rutherford "All science is either physics or stamp collecting" and Terry Pratchett "Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.”

Stamp collecting?

14 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Stamp collecting?

Before the widespread acceptance of Tectonic Theory, Geology was mostly an exercise in cataloguing rocks.  "Serious" Chemists, Physicists, and Natural Philosophers often regarded the geologists as little more than stamp collectors.

Or there is also Pratchett's Theory of L-Space.

Knowledge equals power. Power equals energy. Energy equals matter. Matter equals mass.

This means that a well stocked library will actually distort time and space around it, i.e. a good library is really a rather genteel black hole that knows how to read.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Or there is also Pratchett's Theory of L-Space.

Knowledge equals power. Power equals energy. Energy equals matter. Matter equals mass.

This means that a well stocked library will actually distort time and space around it, i.e. a good library is really a rather genteel black hole that knows how to read.

...or a huge source of untapped power.  That might explain why magic users always have large libraries...

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Some topics combine the two, like people who use physics (and very large, very expensive equipment) to try to collect that one last rare particle that they think will complete their collection....

It's like pokemon, gotta catalogue them all!