• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

NP: Monday, May 9, 2016

8 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Good point. Thinking about it. The Uryuom military might have weaponized versions of the CMD. Would be incredibly deadly when lethality is needed, though potentially have non-lethal settings if only pacification is needed.

I don't think the stuff Uryuom military uses is called Cosmetic Morph Devices, despite having similar technology.

But yes, I think they will have something like that. Without safeties, you can probably use it effectively even against Uryuom who normally can transform back ...

51 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
1 hour ago, Drasvin said:

Good point. Thinking about it. The Uryuom military might have weaponized versions of the CMD. Would be incredibly deadly when lethality is needed, though potentially have non-lethal settings if only pacification is needed.

I don't think the stuff Uryuom military uses is called Cosmetic Morph Devices, despite having similar technology.

But yes, I think they will have something like that. Without safeties, you can probably use it effectively even against Uryuom who normally can transform back ...

more likely they would just design a weapon that's universally effective rather than one that has varying degrees of effectiveness based on shape shifting ability.

it may have use as a medical implement though? a variant designed to temporarily seal off wounds so a patient can be transferred to a proper care facility?

19 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

more likely they would just design a weapon that's universally effective rather than one that has varying degrees of effectiveness based on shape shifting ability.

Making universally effective NON-LETHAL weapon is VERY HARD. And even for lethal weapons, there IS big advantage in weapon which kills people but DOESN'T damage structures - and, again, this is not so easy. Of course, for general "kill everything don't care about property damage" purpose, explosives are simpler.

What could one do with a TF Cannon or a TF Nuke?

TF-Cannon: Think of a TF Gun as an artillery piece with a burst radius on impact of, say, 10 meters.

TF-Nuke: Scale the cannon to a burst radius of 10 kilometers.

Turn anything within the impact zone into...say a mollusk.  Anything with no hands or feet.  For the next 30 days.  Uryouom troops could call down fire on their own positions and simply morph back.  Harsher TFG effects would be saved for facing another shapeshifting race.

EGS Earth should be very happy that Uryuoms are social critters, and not much for empire building.

21 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

EGS Earth should be very happy that Uryuoms are social critters, and not much for empire building.

Weeeell, Uryuoms should be very happy Earth Immortals have rules. And even in limits of empower and guide, how long do you think Uryuom would last if they attacked Earth and say Pandora decided she doesn't want them in same universe as Adrian?

Could give a whole new meaning to the term "guided missile".

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Weeeell, Uryuoms should be very happy Earth Immortals have rules. And even in limits of empower and guide, how long do you think Uryuom would last if they attacked Earth and say Pandora decided she doesn't want them in same universe as Adrian?

Could give a whole new meaning to the term "guided missile".

If the Uryuoms declared full-scale war on Earth, I imagine it would depend on two factors.

One) How quickly can the Uryuoms bring their military down on Earth societies.

Two) How quickly the Immortals that care enough to intervene can kit humans out with magical powers and direct them how to use them.

I don't know how divergent Ellen's SL reality was from the main-line EGS, but the uryuoms had the technology to visit Earth and join in combat as far back as the American Revolution in that would, and them deciding to join in is implied as the major point of divergence. So uryuoms are going to have a supreme technological advantage against humans in the hypothetical war. One area humans might have an advantage against alien invasion is magical abilities. Uryuom magic appears to be limited to their transformation abilities and such, while Earth magic runs a very wide gamut, especially with spells like Elliot's Cheerleadra form and Nanase's Guardian Form.

3 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Two) How quickly the Immortals that care enough to intervene can kit humans out with magical powers and direct them how to use them.

Dex said Saturday, he was already attacking on Tuesday. I suspect it can be done even faster. What, you expected Pandora would play it fair?

Also, war has PLENTY of drama. Angst-induced awakenings would be common.

3 hours ago, Drasvin said:

while Earth magic runs a very wide gamut, especially with spells like Elliot's Cheerleadra form and Nanase's Guardian Form

I'm not sure if those are the most dangerous spells ... summoning might be worse, as shown by Dex. Also consider the psychological effect of monster you fire several rockets into and it just shrugs it off.

The most important part, however, is that Uryuom have NO WAY to prevent humans to use magic unless they KILL them all. No matter the technological advantage, Uryuom can be disarmed and it's weapon stolen and used against them. You can't disarm magic user.

(Which brings me to the motivation Uryuom would have to conquer Earth. It can't be resources - there are plenty of resources on uninhabited planets. It's either ego - proving superiority and such - or slaves. By eradicating humans you reach neither.)

11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

(Which brings me to the motivation Uryuom would have to conquer Earth. It can't be resources - there are plenty of resources on uninhabited planets. It's either ego - proving superiority and such - or slaves. By eradicating humans you reach neither.)

you forgot one: Fear.

1 minute ago, InfiniteRemnant said:
13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

you forgot one: Fear.

Ok. You don't get rid of fear either. Immortals can totally keep scaring Uryuom forever, even if without humans they wouldn't have anyone to empower and guide.

Also, maybe if all immortals agree, the rules can be changed.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Ok. You don't get rid of fear either. Immortals can totally keep scaring Uryuom forever, even if without humans they wouldn't have anyone to empower and guide.

In this comic http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2174 it's mentioned that ancients/immortals have different agreements on each side of the world. Agreements can be changed, and in that situation I think it likely that it would be.

11 minutes ago, Ser Pentrose said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

In this comic http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2174 it's mentioned that ancients/immortals have different agreements on each side of the world. Agreements can be changed, and in that situation I think it likely that it would be.

It's concluded then: Uryuoms should be very happy they didn't tried the war option.

If the Uryuoms wanted to eradicate humanity and don't care about the collateral damage, then they can simply drop nukes and small asteroids onto Earth and make it completely uninhabitable. If they want Earth for themselves, then they would want to be less destructive of the ecology. If they want humanity to be subordinate to them, then they will also avoid depopulating us too much.

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

If the Uryuoms wanted to eradicate humanity and don't care about the collateral damage, then they can simply drop nukes and small asteroids onto Earth and make it completely uninhabitable.

Nukes are usually not worth it. Biggest nuclear bomb has around 100 megaton TNT. Antimatter have 43 megaton per kilogram. Asteroid at 50% of speed of light have 3 megaton per kilogram, 90% of speed of light have 28 megaton per kilogram, at 95% it's 47 megaton per kilogram, at 99% it's 132 megaton per kilogram and not even antimatter is worth to be added to it. So, it obviously depends on what engines you have, but usually, engines capable of interstellar travel makes nukes impractical.

And, yes: orbital bombardment with asteroids of relativistic speed is likely only reasonable course of action if you fear what Earth Immortals can do to you. In the "We gave it our best" sense, because we are still not sure if it will be enough.

Nukes may have a lot less blast damage than large relativistic kinetic impactors, but they have the advantage of poisoning whatever happens to survive the blasts, and the poison can linger for centuries. Impactors sufficiently massive that absolutely nothing survives anywhere (not even in mile-underground bunkers) may be too heavy to bother with, since by that point we are talking about enough energy to melt the top mile of the Earth's crust planetwide.

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

Nukes may have a lot less blast damage than large relativistic kinetic impactors, but they have the advantage of poisoning whatever happens to survive the blasts, and the poison can linger for centuries. Impactors sufficiently massive that absolutely nothing survives anywhere (not even in mile-underground bunkers) may be too heavy to bother with, since by that point we are talking about enough energy to melt the top mile of the Earth's crust planetwide.

Pfffft. Sissies. In Doc Smith's Lensman series, when they really wanted someone dead, they hit them with planetary masses of antimatter moving at seventeen times the speed of light. :demonicduck:

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:
8 hours ago, ijuin said:

Pfffft. Sissies. In Doc Smith's Lensman series, when they really wanted someone dead, they hit them with planetary masses of antimatter moving at seventeen times the speed of light. :demonicduck:

Hmm. That seems a tad excessive. Then again, There's no kill like overkill.

1 hour ago, Drasvin said:

Hmm. That seems a tad excessive. Then again, There's no kill like overkill.

To be fair to the Lensmen, they were caught at the tail end of an escalating war of superweapons that had been going on for the entire book series. And every time someone had come up with a superweapon, someone else came up with a defence or counter for it. Just two books earlier the superweapon state of the art had been using two ordinary planets with opposed intrinsic velocities as a nutcracker against a planetary fortress. That stopped being effective when someone else discovered a way to use the entire energy output of a sun as a concentrated beam weapon. Since no-one managed to find a way to move suns around before the end of the series, this placed the advantage firmly at the defence for quite a while.

15 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

at which point we move on to plan D: trigger unstable cascade reaction in local star and watch the whole system go splat.

That's so un-Uryouom.

Transform the entire star into a mutant goat that eats the planet...

17 hours ago, ijuin said:

The "poison" may kill humans pretty well, but many forms of life will survive (famously cockroaches). There are live trees around the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant already. On the other hand, it will render the planet unusable for conquering.

20 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

at which point we move on to plan D: trigger unstable cascade reaction in local star and watch the whole system go splat.

I guess just before plan E: turn the star into supernova, which would be before F: turn it into black hole, followed by G:, run a cosmic string through the plane of the elliptic.

1 hour ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

actually, it's after plan o: but before plan ):<

... buuuut cosmic string ... ?

( ... supposed to be in that not-far-from crying voice of child who was told there is not enough time and they need to leave the amusement park ...)