• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

1 hour ago, Zorua said:

Finally got my keyboard working (a Yamaha-brand 61-key going from C2 to C7).

What model number do you have? I used to have a pre-General MIDI PSR-300, and I've still got a CS6X for s**ts and giggles. The old Portasound's drums got sampled and used on one of my MOD-style tracks back in the 90s. ;)

My hybrid landscape/portrait monitor has developed a very noticeable and irritating line of blue pixels. Had to swap it out for the wide screen monitor. At least my width has gone from 1200 pixels to 1600 pixels in landscape mode

Latest Facebook irritant.
If I get the red line, and left click on it to get the correct spelling and replace it, Facebook nukes the whole post and replaces it with just the correct spelling.

This is on SeaMonkey/Firefox on OS X.

Real pain in the butt, given my spelling habits.

Doesn't happen here, so I'm reasonably sure it's Facebook, not the browser.

I find it incredibly annoying when I start sneezing out of the blue at about 11PM, while sitting at the same chair and breathing the same air I've been most of the day without issue.

Firefox on Android seems to lose mouse calibration at random.  The fix is to open another tab and click on a link. 
Argh 

#geekproblems

The smoke detector in my bathroom is beeping due to low battery.  I suspect I don't have the right kind plus getting to it is a real pain.  I tried but every time I looked up I started to have a down rush.  This is sub optimal.

After about 4 hours it stopped. So I don't have a fire alarm now I suspect. That is actually good as stir fry tends to set them off, as does stove top grilling. As to safety mankind went thousands of years with out them. Granted there were a lot of people that died in their sleep from fires... Edited by mlooney
Update

I seem to be annoyed a lot.

Latest thing.  Fireworks and firecrackers are illegal inside Tulsa city limits.  They also scare the cat. Guess what is going on in the walk way between apartment buildings right now.

On July 3, 2016 at 9:23 PM, mlooney said:

Fireworks and firecrackers are illegal inside Tulsa city limits.  They also scare the cat. Guess what is going on in the walk way between apartment buildings right now.

If/when you call the police about such activities, stress how close to the buildings they are and how worried you are about a fire starting, how young the people handling the fireworks appear to be, how large the explosions are, any overhanging trees, anything you notice that will encourage them to take your call seriously and prioritize it over the hundreds of other calls they're getting on or around Independence Day.  "The noise is scaring my cat" (or "waking my baby" or "interrupting my sleep") just isn't as important as trying to prevent fires, maimings, etc.

It's illegal, but the police need to see it themselves or you have to press charges for anything to happen.  They do put out extra officers on the 4th, and they try, but calling 911 is close to a waste of time, at least for hearing fireworks outside.

For a long while, back when my primary machine was a Mac Book Pro, I had done some cute things with symlinks so that Dropbox and Google drive were mirrors of it, with the MBP keeping just one copy of the files, and the MacMini's external 2TB drive having both copies. This sort of ended when the MBP's hard drive died.

Then Google did something to the Mac client for G-Drive. It started to be a slug on the MacMini and take up most of the cycles for the first hour or more that the machine was turned on while it thrashed about finding out what, if any thing, had changed. To be fair, Dropbox did the same thing, but only for about 5-10 minutes. I got used to not using the computer for 10 minutes, after a power on and telling G-Drive to just stop. Today it dawned on me. I'm spend 10 bucks a month for squat. So, I'm making sure every thing in 'Google Drive' directory is in the 'Dropbox' directory (all praise Midnight Commander, blessed be it's name), then I'm going to nuke the local copy of the Google Drive, and start the process of deleting the cloud copy and dropping my G-drive subscription down to the 15 G free level.

I am becoming less and less gruntled by Google, other than their search engine. Even Google Play on Android is less and less useful. It's search function is weird, to say the least.

Dropbox, on the other hand, is still freaking great. For example, on Android, with it's native client, if you select a media file, it will stream it, vs doing an actual down load. That is a cool functionality. It also integrates well with other applications, something that G-drive really does not do well.

Yeah, Hangouts on Android bars me from the app until I update Play Services, I do so (using root privileges to shuffle stuff round the partitions, and uninstalling stuff, to make space and tricks like that) and it just breaks stuff (slows the system to a crawl while throwing torrents of ANRs).  Finish up having to bin Play Services and all obligate dependants.  Tried installing Play Services / Hangouts again some significant time later, to be greeted with still breaking stuff, and Hangouts insisting that Play Services is somehow still out of date.  Presumably, Google just does not care about small JBr1 devices anymore.

My sleep aid works just fine.  What it's not is a pain pill.  So when I started to feel a micro stone around midnight I woke up.  I have been told to not use ibuprofen or any other related meds for it, so I took my light weight migraine meds, which has caffeine in it.  Net result, being awake for three hours in the wee hours of the morning.

This is not my happy face.

I suspect that the power flux that hit right before the power went out did in my bigger monitor.  It's always had a habit of blinking on and off, roughly every hour or so, for about a second.  Now it's doing it about every 30 seconds.  This is really sub optimal.  So, I'm back to the hybrid landscape/portrait monitor.  And the damn thin blue line.  And I don't mean a bunch of cops, I mean a line of pixels.   Just in case any one thinks I'm getting political here, I'm not.

And as per normal when posting to this thread

This is not my happy face.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

And I don't mean a bunch of cops, I mean a line of pixels.   Just in case any one thinks I'm getting political here, I'm not.

To be fair, if a bunch of cops formed up in a line between me and my monitor whenever I turned it on, I'd get rid of the damn thing in a freaking hurry, too.

58 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

To be fair, if a bunch of cops formed up in a line between me and my monitor whenever I turned it on, I'd get rid of the damn thing in a freaking hurry, too.

Looks like I am going to be in the monitor market next month.  I have 2 monitors, both with near fatal  flaws.

The lack of a built in spell checker for Firefox on Android.  Given my spelling habits this is a major problem.   I've ended up installing WordPad and doing a cut and paste to the edit block to avoid looking like a badly educted 3rd grader.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

The lack of a built in spell checker for Firefox on Android.  Given my spelling habits this is a major problem.   I've ended up installing WordPad and doing a cut and paste to the edit block to avoid looking like a badly educted 3rd grader.

Well, you still don't get an A in spelling... even though an A is exactly what is needed.  :D

Okay if I revive the Grammar and Spelling Thread we had on the old forum?  The idea was to put all such corrections, discussion, and (gentle) humor into one thread, and then anyone who wants to improve their English can keep up with it, while anyone who wants to avoid that sort of thing can just avoid that thread.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Okay if I revive the Grammar and Spelling Thread we had on the old forum?  The idea was to put all such corrections, discussion, and (gentle) humor into one thread, and then anyone who wants to improve their English can keep up with it, while anyone who wants to avoid that sort of thing can just avoid that thread.

The Moderator: By all means. Go ahead.

I am fairly sure I am having a hypomanic episode.  This is a double sided sword.  I get a lot done, even if it's not what I should be doing, but I end up sleeping way to much the next day, unless it's a multi day event, which normally turn into Bad Things.

The episode also seems to make my body ignore my sleep aid, Temazepam (Restoril).  Lorazepam (Ativan) is used to treat hypomanic episodes, but a slight larger doses than I normally take (like twice and I'm not going to do that with out talking to my shrink first.  Which at 10:30 PM, on a Sunday, isn't going to happen. I'm going to try my normal dose and lay down and see what happens.  I can take it every 8 hours, so if I'm still wack out around 6:30 AM I'll take another dose and assume I'm not going to start working until some time after noon.

People who don't use their eyes when searching for something. Particularly the ones who ask for help while standing directly next to the thing they're looking for.