• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Dear Cox.com:

Your DNS servers suck, but that's not the point of today's rant.

Please don't send me both dead tree and email ads for a product that I can't get in my area yet.

This is not my happy face.

The latest drop of Firefox for Android seems to have killed the click and hold to open in a new tab feature for normal web pages.  Chrome has it, so I am using it now for just this forum because Chrome for Android doesn't have ad blocker.

This is not my happy face

I seem to be more annoyed this morning than normal.  In the last 30 minutes this happened:

Because I have no insurance until March, next year, and I'm on medications that may require at least a EMT or an ER visit, I want to sign up for the EMSA (that's the ambulance service here) plan which is $5.45 on your water bill. But I don't have a water account due to it being part of my rent bill. This means I have to deal with the rental agent. I would rather have major dental work done. I'm going to have a nice cup of tea, take an Ativan and truck on down to the rental office and pound my head against a pile of wet sand.

Dealing with the rental agent here makes me REALLY unhappy

This is so no my happy face.

[update 1] Ativan taken, tea drunk, off to see the wizards people in "charge" here

[update 2] And, it's not them that set it up, nor is it the water utility people, who it is for normal people, for us people living in managed living, there is yet another number to call.  So I called it and the nice lady there answered the phone on the 2nd ring (after it gave me the "if this is an medical emergency call 911" message first [all medical or even close to medical places play that, I think it's the law, could be wrong] ), took my address and will be sending me an application.  So, I wait on the snail mail.  Still not my happy face, but less so than before.  Of course that could be the Ativan talking.

[update 3] One of office people said she had never heard of any body here signing up for it, because it was "use it or lose it".  It's $4.95 a month.  An ambulance ride, as of 2007 was $1000 plus $9.00 a mile.  That means if I have to call an ambulance with in the next 16 freaking years, it paid for it's self.  Desk, meet head, head, desk.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

One of office people said she had never heard of any body here signing up for it, because it was "use it or lose it".  It's $4.95 a month.  An ambulance ride, as of 2007 was $1000 plus $9.00 a mile.  That means if I have to call an ambulance with in the next 16 freaking years, it paid for it's self.  Desk, meet head, head, desk.

Huh.  For less than $60 per year, that might make sense even for people not on meds that make a trip more likely.  If the cost of the ambulence ride were applied to my deductible for my health insurance, I might come out way ahead!

Unfortunately, I haven't yet figured out a way to get them to apply what I'm paying for a certain prescription toward my out-of-pocket limit, because getting it through the insurance company is $158, compared to only $58 if I use a GoodRx.com coupon.  So I do wind up paying a lot less, but I'm seriously annoyed that not only do they end up not paying anything for it, but it won't even count towards my annual out-of-pocket maximum.

Hmm, to be fair, I probably haven't put as much effort into finding a way to get them to include it as I could....  *adds to page 537 of the To Do list*

I give thanks for Mrs. Prof and her accounting skills. I've had three ambulance rides in my life (the last one right before I went on disability retirement), and I have absolutely no idea how much they cost. She has taken care of all of them.

Not fully annoying, but a bit peevish.   Finding out that a cloud service is "push sync" not "pull sync".  Of course (Mega) doesn't sell it's self as "get your files from any where" sort of thing like Dropbox etc does, it's cloud storage.  Not Quite The Same Thing.

The satellite used by the Dish network is in geosynchronous orbit over a point on the equator just west of South America.  This puts most of North America in its line of sight.

This means that in Florida, my dish points nearly west and up at a rather shallow angle.

So whenever there is bad weather over the Gulf of Mexico, my signal is blocked even if the weather is mild here.

I have a new policy.  When I wake up at 03:00, because I am older male an need to pee, I will not make plans for the coming day and email them to others.  Something will mess them up.  In this case a bad case of the sniffles.  Took NyQuil.  As to be expected crashed right after.  Just woke up again with sniffles again.  Taking NyQuil again and expect to wake again around 19:00, hopefully snot free.

I hope more than normal that I don't get a migraine for the next few days.  They are doing carpentry work on the outside of my building for an unknown length of time.  I am less than pleased about this.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

I hope more than normal that I don't get a migraine for the next few days.  They are doing carpentry work on the outside of my building for an unknown length of time.  I am less than pleased about this.

*wince* I hear you. I add my hopes to yours.

Doing a transfer of just short of a gig of files, in a rather complex folder system to a server in Ukraine takes way too much time.

This is not my happy face, but not my full on annoyed face.

Also it seems that all the buttons for the editor show up if and only if I have a keyboard attached and I am in landscape mode on the tablet.

This is my confused web master face.

Right now I have two macs that have fried hard drives.  I think I can fix one, but Apple doesn't have a down load of Lion any more, so I'm trying the MacUpdates version of the .dmg.  Downloading it on an Android tablet, then going to try to copy to a USB flash and try the C key thing and see if that works.

Sleeping just shy of 20 hours.

Also finding out the hard way that general purpose bug bombs, kill only the adult fleas and do nothing to eggs.  Need to get a made for fleas bomb. 

On 8/18/2016 at 9:30 PM, mlooney said:

The internet when you are using any version of any browser without any thing like an ad blocker.  Very messy place it is.

The internet when you are using any version of any browser without any thing like an ad blocker, is perhaps every bit as accurate.

Changing phase the hard way.  Granted I'm using Adderall to help.  That and lots of tea.

Also a Bluetooth keyboard that has bad 'F' key.  Takes two or presses to work.  I have another that once it charges I will be swapping to.  I think it the good one.

40 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Batteries going flat on Bluetooth mouse.  Just slowly starts acting weird.

What make/model mouse do you have? I've got a Microsoft Arc Touch Bluetooth mouse. It's got a light that flashes when the batteries start dying.

Converting a .docx file to a .tex file (that is LaTex file, not a raw text file) is a way bigger pain in the butt than it should be on an Android box.  When you have to load a Debian Linux virtual machine as part of the proccess, things have gone to hell and back. But at least now I can send .docx files to my editor and then convert them to LaTex on the only currently functioning machine I've got.

As a side note, if you are a Linux user and you haven't looked at Abiword in a while, check out the latest version. It's not just a toy any more.