• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Non liturgical Christians arguing that Christmas is just a one day event and the 12 days is a pagan thing.  My eye literally twitched when I read that as a reply to my yearly Christmastide Social Media Rant. (™ J. Michael Looney)

44 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

As an evangelical Agnostic, I resent it when someone not in my own splinter faith informs me that I am doing my own interpretation wrong. So you have my complete understanding as well as my sympathies and my cooperative annoyance.

That's one of the advantages of not claiming to follow any specific Pagan tradition. I practice my faith in the same way as my earliest predecessors: by making it up as I go.

I need to make this keyboard macro

Adobe means dried mud.

I was going to work much longer on today's project but after 6 hours of dealing with Acrobat Pro I can feel IQ points slipping away.

I have post nasal drip that's wreaking havoc on my throat, in the past...oh.. two hours, my voice has gone almost full Christian Bale Batman on me.

Edit: According to someone on Teamspeak, I sound more like Brad Garret.

Brad's the tall one for those that don't know.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

I need to make this keyboard macro

Adobe means dried mud.

I was going to work much longer on today's project but after 6 hours of dealing with Acrobat Pro I can feel IQ points slipping away.

For some reason this makes me think of John Cleese playing the dreaded terrorist "l'Acrobat" in the classic TV series "Whoops Apocalypse." Maybe Adobe Acrobat is really an attempt to terrorise the Internet.

9 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

That's one of the advantages of not claiming to follow any specific Pagan tradition. I practice my faith in the same way as my earliest predecessors: by making it up as I go.

I fear that if you think that is enough to keep idiots from telling you that you are doing it wrong, you may be overly optimistic. *sigh*

My fancy new Daikin heat pump's A/C is not working well. The Nest Gen3 thermostat that came with it is showing the inside temp as 79° F, despite having been set at 76° F all day long. It's blowing almost lukewarm air (okay, a bit cooler than lukewarm, but not enough to get the temp down to 76° F yet). I may have to call for warranty work tomorrow.

All of this is part of the Christmas in Dallas experience. You never know whether it'll be in the 20s or the 80s temp-wise, and whether you'll get sun, clouds, rain, sleet, or snow. This year we get mostly cloudy weather and temps in the high 70s, with rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

P.S.: a "White Christmas" is a rarity in most parts of Texas not in the panhandle. The only one I've experienced was in 2009—from the bed of my room on the top floor of what used to be called Doctors' Hospital, with both my ankles healing from repair surgery and my blood volume somewhat unstable at the time. Sigh.

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

All of this is part of the Christmas in Dallas experience. You never know whether it'll be in the 20s or the 80s temp-wise, and whether you'll get sun, clouds, rain, sleet, or snow.

From the webcomic Two Lumps:

"Looking at the 7-day forecast, we've got 34, 71, 16, 59, 22, 88, and 7."

"Um, I think you've gotten mixed up with the Lottery results, Chet."

"No, I'm afraid not, Candi."

A few years ago, on one election day, the voters of the state of Washington approved both recreational marijuana and gay marriage.

Prompting some wag to suggest they were endorsing the Old Testament edict (which had been misinterpreted for centuries) that a man who lies with another man should be stoned.

I seem to have won a helicopter tour of Chicago.  More precisely, two rides, to be used for two people once or one person twice, depending how I choose to spend them.

Except the web site says there is a strict weight limit, which I currently exceed by about forty pounds.

I was already planning to ask my boss if she'd like to join me, now I have another reason, because she's short and not far off of a hundred pounds, so maybe they'll accept the two of us as coming in under the "per seat" limit together.

I do understand the practical reasons for a weight limit, and will offer to sit in the middle -- I'm tall enough to be able to see over most other people.  If the boss isn't interested, maybe I can ask to be put on a flight with children on it.  Either that, or I'll ask to be paired with someone else who's over the limit, and use both vouchers at once, to make an average per seat under the limit, and we can balance each other at opposite windows.  There's got to be a way to work this out, and most people seem to be quite reasonable, given the chance.

If we can't work something out, I'll just have to give the flights to someone else.  At least I can make someone else happy, and I got the joy of winning something.    ;-)

[Oh, look, there's that copy-paste higlighting effect again....]

I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that I held my Leatherman Wave multi-tool upside down when using the blade to cut a 200 mg Lamictal tablet in half, giving me a slight cut, much like a paper cut, or the fact that doing it that way did just as good a job, if not better, than the "sharp" edge did. Might look into a knife stone some time soon.

I didn't really mind the neighbors who set off fireworks at midnight, given that they finished up by quarter past.  It's the sudden outburst of several especially loud ones at 1:30am, after over an hour of quiet, that annoys me.

Also annoying was the network coverage of the ball drop at Times Square.  Endless chatter and babbling from the "hosts" on every channel, even during the traditional performance of "Imagine" before the drop and playing Sinatra's "New York, New York" after.  I just wanna hear the music, not a bunch of blather!

24 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Sinatra's "New York, New York"

And this is New Years song why?  One of those questions I ask, never really expecting a reply that makes sense to some one born and raised in flyover country.

Some one from flyover country that has just a tiny1 bit of an attitude about coastal cities.

1Depending on context tiny can have values that range to "freaking Godzilla sized"

Eh, it's Times Square's celebration, and New York gets to foot the bill, I'm happy to give them thst one.

You want different songs, tune in to WFMT's show The Midnight Special.  They do "folk music and farce, show tunes and satire, odds and ends, madness and escape."  And they've bern doing it for several decades, which means they've accumulated a lot of really good comedy stuff, much of it classics you don't hear much elsewhere.  They do all requests for a couple of hours, meaning their best stuff, then a live show, then some more requests, and then next week they do even more requests 'cos there's no way to fit them all in to one extra-long show.

Their shows of Christmas material are pretty darn good, too.

Annoying is having a prescription for a controlled substance (tramadol) that needs to be renewed, only to learn the doctor that must call in the new script himself is out of town on vacation until Friday. I'm going to see if I can talk some sense into the triage nurse tomorrow and see if she can get another doctor at the practice to call it in.

Low grade comes with age backache that keeps you up all night because you didn't take strong enough drugs.  Taking them now.  See y'all this afternoon, maybe.

My laptop has been delivered, but it went to the office of the complex and I really don't feel like walking to get it this afternoon, between sinus headache, leg cramps and a large bruise on my leg that I have no idea how it got there.

Yesterday about 4:00 (which is nearly sunset) our power went out. It took me nearly half an hour to definitely determine that it was just us, not the RV park, and the pole we plug the RV into had power.

The temperature was about 32.001 degrees Fahrenheit, and it was raining.

I tugged lightly on the other end of the main power cord (where it connects to the motorhome) and got a large spark. AHA!

So I turned off the power at the pole, AND unplugged and brought that end of the cable over near where I would be working (making absolutely sure that no oblivious do-gooder could be so kind as to plug the cable back in for me while I was working on the other end of it) and opened up the junction box. There was a big shapeless orange blob of plastic, which had once been one of those screw-on electrical-wiring caps. Fortunately I have a couple spares. I cleared that out and took a good hard look at the wiring in the box, and determined I needed to strip not only some additional individual wires, but also the wrapper of the power cable itself. So I (doing something smart for a change) completely detached the cable from the motorhome, and TOOK IT INSIDE where at least I'd have heat.

Because my fingers were extremely stiff and almost devoid of sensation. See prior comment about the weather.

Thawed my fingers then did the cable-stripping while squatting on the floor - which put my feet to sleep. After standing up I told my wife that my feet were informing me that the AC power was back and I should desist from standing on the bare wire.

Once my feet were recovered, I got ready to go back outside again - discovered that my coat was soaked through. Fortunately I have another. Went out and reconnected the cable, but didn't close the junction box because I planned to inspect my work under better light. Back in the house, found it was nearly 6:00.

This morning we actually got a few minutes of bright sunlight, so I took advantage of it for the planned inspection. Decided it was good, put the cover back on the box, and put the tools away.

This makes six times in a row that problems with the motorhome have either:

• stopped it from moving, when we were in a time crunch and needed to move; or
  • occurred in really crappy weather, and required outside work to fix; or
  • both of the above

18 hours ago, mlooney said:

My laptop has been delivered, but it went to the office of the complex and I really don't feel like walking to get it this afternoon, between sinus headache, leg cramps and a large bruise on my leg that I have no idea how it got there.

All of the above plus a chest cold now.  FML