• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

I've been registered for a veterinary conference in Orlando since around November.  My sister and I were looking at the Universal Studios web site at Christmas.  I've been scheduled for ages now to be off the weekend of the conference, through the weekend after, so that I can have a little vacation time after the conference.  Plane tickets bought, hotel booked, time off scheduled on the appointment calendar at work.

So why, oh why am I only finding out *now* that there's a big Harry Potter event at Universal on the weekend *before* the convention???  If I'd known even a week or two ago, I might have been able to switch my time off to be able to go early instead of stay late.

Hmm, well, no, that wouldn't work out as well, I'd have to take a longer time off and use up more vacation days.  But why, oh why couldn't they have scheduled the darn Harry Potter event a couple of weeks later???

1 hour ago, PSadlon said:

Life works that way sometimes, still it sucks you cant reschedule considering its at least 10 months out.

Whoops, poor phrasing on my part, I guess.  I've been registered since November; the conference itself is in early February, and the Harry Potter thing is the last weekend in January, in just under two weeks.

(Eep, that means my trip is in less than three!)

Ok, that makes far more sense. I also might have missed the word since.

Word of warning unless you are at the park a couple days you might consider the express pass else you might not get on as many rides as you hope. Even off season the lines aren't exactly short and Universal's rides tend to have a significant walk between them.

Also this year it's been running roughly 60-80 with moderately high humidity here depending on time of day bear that in mind when you pack but double check the forecast just in case something unexpected happens.

Well, that's the trip I mentioned with my sister in May.  We were looking at a four day Harry Potter package.  We've been to Universal once several years ago, I think we were there one day for each park.  This time it'll be two for each, possibly with a day or two elsewhere, too.  The current trip, I'll be staying in town for four days after the conference is over, so I'm trying to find out where my sister *doesn't* want to go on the May trip.  I expect I'll go to Disney's Star Wars stuff one day, Animal Kingdom one day, maybe Sea World or Busch Gardens, maybe something more off the beaten path.  I may not go to Universal at all this trip, knowing I'll have four days there soon!

Stubbing my toe, have an literal butt hurt due to TMI and a migraine all at the same time.  Thank every thing Lawful Good that analgesics will work on all three at the same time.    

You know what I hate?

Being told that I have to go to said dress shop for something about computers--not really a big deal, as I'd gone there to fix lightbulbs with my grandpa before--only to get a job offer for "Web Manager", "Social Media Manager", and if I'm interpreting her long-term goals correctly, "ASSISTANT Manager."

That punched-in-the-gut feeling that I'm way in over my head.

Accepting because I need the push--I sure as f[tweet] wasn't getting a job by my own efforts--despite knowing I'm probably not cut out for it.

Not getting to eat lunch before said bombshell.

A WiFi signal that makes it take ten minutes to load one page.

A damaged laptop that makes it a risk to take the computer closer to the router, a lot of effort for just one page. And for some reason, the power cord is becoming finicky. If I unplug it to get closer, it'll take more effort to get it to recognize that it's plugged in. Too much effort to post two f[tweet]ing forum posts. (you know what? I'm doing it. I'm mad. F[tweet] it. I'm not even gonna edit this anymore. I'm done for today.)

A forum post  that's pre-typed up and ready to go, but again, the page I want to post it on won't load.

It's a big post. It would be even more annoying if I tried to put it through on my phone.

Having something I want to put up now (i.e. said forum post), except I'm being called away to go shopping for groceries, forcing me to wait for an extra three f[tweet]ing hours.

Being told that I'm going to help them with grocery shopping, only to find out that we're mainly there for new khaki pants for me.

Being called over to do X only for them to want me to do Y. STOP F[TWEET]ING LYING!

I got up at midnight because of my erratic sleep schedule. I am TIRED. I am HUNGRY. I just got a MAJOR kick in the pants to do something I do NOT think I'm ready for. I am ready for today to be over and I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT CALLING UBER TOMORROW WHA... (okay, "boss" called and said if Uber doesn't show up, I will be forgiven if I show up an hour later than we agreed. Gives time for a guaranteed ride instead of a possible one)

Oh, and I just learned we've been evicted. THANKS A LOT, NAN, YOU F[TWEET]ING A[TWEET]HOLE! Now we have to go house-hunting and actually put money down.

Can...can I wake up tomorrow and this be a dream? I need the kick in the pants, I really do, but this has been a very stressful day and I'm ready for it to be over.

[edit] Aaaaaaaaaand the cord isn't charging. Yep. Damaged to where I have to finagle it to get it in the right position so it will want to charge and it doesn't want to stay in that position. And it's the cord, not the charger connector port.

Oh this has been a WONDERFUL day. 

My sympathies.  We'll be here, lending moral support if nothing else.  I hope the house-hunting and the new job both go well, and that you do learn and grow.  May it lead to bigger and better things, including your confidence!

So far the job is okay. Started off small. Still learning stuff. Not nearly as bad as I'd feared, once I got some sleep and thought for a bit. I mean, ultimately my job will be posting pictures and words online, which I do here for fun anyway over on the strip slay thread. I guess it was just the suddenness, getting the offer suddenly instead of planning for it. 

Sleep is the next annoying thing,  though. I'm not used to having deadlines on when I NEED to be awake, so not getting to sleep easily is kind of problematic. I partly blame my phone.

Maybe this goes in the "medication" thread 'cause it's medical-related, but anyone got advice on going to sleep easier? Besides melatonin supplements and putting the phone away. 

2 hours ago, Zorua said:

Maybe this goes in the "medication" thread 'cause it's medical-related, but anyone got advice on going to sleep easier? Besides melatonin supplements and putting the phone away. 

I find a book on a subject that is fairly interesting but dryly written is good.  Text books or niche encyclopedia type books for example.

4 hours ago, Zorua said:

It takes a lot to knock me out for more than four hours. The non-prescriptions that I take (and my doctor hasn't jumped on me about) are melatonin (10mg) and L-Tryptophan (500mg x 2 = 1000mg). L-Tryptophan developed a nasty reputation about 30 years ago after a contaminated batch hit the shelves, but that's ancient history. You can get it at a reasonable price from PipingRock.com .

I'm not sure which is worse, getting a bruise on my leg that I have know freaking idea where it came from, or whacking your knee hard enough that it's raised a bump and I know is going to make a massive bruise "real soon now"

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I'm not sure which is worse, getting a bruise on my leg that I have know freaking idea where it came from, or whacking your knee hard enough that it's raised a bump and I know is going to make a massive bruise "real soon now"

I'd give the edge to the whacked knee in the pain expectation department.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Agreed. I don't call shins and toes "natural furniture detectors" for nothing. 

19 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Yeah, walking around in the local Wally World yesterday evening was more than a little bit painful.

Trying to get back on a semi-rational sleep cycle.  Went to bed at a rational time.  Woke up 03:30 and have no luck in getting back to sleep.  Dead tree sleep aid not working.  I know it's not a sleep aid as such, but I think I'm going to take an Ativan any way. 

Bleh

#1stworldproblem

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

I know it's not a sleep aid as such, but I think I'm going to take an Ativan any way. 

That was a Bad Idea.  That is another 8 hours that just Went Away.  I would go check to see if I did any mystery shopping,  but I know my accounts will not let that happen this week.

The universe, or maybe just Gaia, which to be fair is more or less the same if still on Terra, is out to get me.  At 2:10 this morning I woke up due to both indigestion and my cell phone's beep that it does when its power is low.  Side effect of my long history of weird sleep habits (dating back to my army days) once I am awake I'm awake for several hours, so, yeah, another day of weird ass sleep habit is coming.  At least I have done the "take Ativan as a sleep aid" recently enough to not do it again tonight.

#1stworldproblem

Waking up at a rational time with a mild headache.  That's not worth posting about.  It turning into a raging screaming sinus head ache in about 20 minutes, that's a problem.  Taken a pair of little red pills and my mid level analgesics.  If history holds true, should be working in 30 minutes or less.

I recently booked my flight, rental car, and hotel for my mom's memorial service.

The website helped me get the airline tickets and a rental car easily enough.  But I needed to close that transaction and book the hotel separately.  Apparently, the website could not comprehend that even though I was flying to Detroit, I did not want to stay in a hotel at DTW.

On another matter, I have layovers at Newark going north and O'Hare on the return trip.  Unfortunately, I don't think one hour between flights will allow much time for sight seeing in New York or Chicago.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Taken a pair of little red pills and my mid level analgesics.  If history holds true, should be working in 30 minutes or less.

If you wake up in a pod that turns out to be one out of thousands all connected to nightmare machinery and with a power cord sticking out of your neck, you only have yourself to blame.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

If you wake up in a pod that turns out to be one out of thousands all connected to nightmare machinery and with a power cord sticking out of your neck, you only have yourself to blame.

Pills, not gel caps.