• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

My not secure Russian cloud storage doesn't seem to understand that, yes, I did delete those files, I don't need them back, thank you.  Trying again.

#geekproblems.

43 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Uploading 15G to a secure server in New Zealand takes more time than I want it to.  I'm not looking forward to what DropBox does with those new files.

#geekproblems.

Hm. If I were you, I'd check to see if your dishwasher is stealing bandwidth from you. It wasn't that long ago I read something about online rituals to call Elder Gods being a thing.

2 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Hm. If I were you, I'd check to see if your dishwasher is stealing bandwidth from you. It wasn't that long ago I read something about online rituals to call Elder Gods being a thing.

I've locked the MAC address on the router.  Which reminds me, need to make sure I open it when I start to set up the new tablet tomorrow.

Wizards of the Coast, in their mercy, released D&D 5 as an SRD.  This is cool.

They released it as a PDF file, not a zillion RTF files like they did for 3.x  This also cool.  At least I though it was cool...

What isn't cool, and is in fact annoying as [redacted] is that if you cut and paste from their PDF file, there is a tab and a ^M (carriage-return) after EACH FREAKING WORD.

Thank all things lawful good some one converted the thing into Restructured Text and put it up on GitHub.   I'm less than totally gruntled by needing to add yet another mark up langage to my list of things I have to use, but at least a dot rst file is just flat text.  And I found a GUI type editor for is.

STOP PRESS

Pandoc will do a direct conversion of a dot rst file to LaTeX.   Granted it wants to make a whole document out of it, but I can remove the preamble and be ready to go. 

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

I can remove the preamble and be ready to go. 

I thought it took a Constitutional Amendment to remove something that is already in the Constitution.

Besides, the Preamble is the only part I ever memorized.

Accidentally typing 'v' instead of the space bar on my phone, followed by auto-correct. Turning "...and it gets the point across..." into "...and it Herschel point across...". Thank God for the backspace key, but it's annoyingly inconvenient. 

My other phone has an odd obsession with ordinal numbers and is especially fond of replacing 'with' with '29th'.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I let my coffee get cold.  I [redacted] hate cold coffee.

Iced coffee is fine...well more like Iced Cappucino with whipped topping and hazelnut flavour shot which is actually better. but yeah room temperature coffee is less than meh.

I just found out that there is going to be a "Gor" RPG.  Yes, the John Norman series of books Gor.

FATAL might have a challenger for the title of "Worse RPG Ever".  And Chris Field might drop a few ranks in worse published RPG author.

7 hours ago, Zorua said:

Accidentally typing 'v' instead of the space bar on my phone, followed by auto-correct. Turning "...and it gets the point across..." into "...and it Herschel point across...". Thank God for the backspace key, but it's annoyingly inconvenient. 

My other phone has an odd obsession with ordinal numbers and is especially fond of replacing 'with' with '29th'.

I just turn off any "feature" that threatens to change what I type.  They're just not worth the hassle, and I usually know correct spelling and grammar better than they do.

All my really effective non narcotic headache meds have caffeine in them.  This makes them work a lot better.  So I am going to be up sooner than I wanted and be wired at dawn, which means an late morning crash.

This is really less than optimal.

This getting old.  I am going to take an Ativan and see if that will let me sleep.  Even my most dry dead tree sleep aids are not working.  So an Ativan and the 1984 Jane's Infantry Weapons.  If that doesn't work not sure what to do.  Even the Q didn't have any effect.

Our cold front is being very stubborn. We were forecast to get heavy rain and large hail, starting around now. There's a "cap" sitting on top of us, preventing the storms from forming. The front was supposed to sweep away the cap. It hasn't come through yet.

Most annoying. That just means it'll do it later tonight, when the chances of a power outage move from the afternoon gloom stage into the total darkness stage.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Sorta worked, until a close lightning strike woke me right the [redacted] up.  Let's if this gripping tale of these semiautomatic pistols of West Germany can work it's magic again

Worked rather well.  I got 8 hours more or less and was only woken up by a phone call from David.  Thinking about sleeping some more :-)

19 hours ago, mlooney said:

Sorta worked, until a close lightning strike woke me right the [redacted] up.  Let's if this gripping tale of these semiautomatic pistols of West Germany can work it's magic again

What?! You aren't bedazzled and held awake for many hours at end by the riveting tales of the heirs of the noble Luger? O.O

I didn't get body aches or headaches of any sort when the front rolled in.  As it left? [redacted] both.

Starting my pain drugs ladder. 

Got the drugs to start my full change of my medications. Got to do the weird taper on/taper off stuff. And of course, it cost out the waz. It's a bit strange that the "We don't do insurance" place still ends up cheaper than the other pharmacies even with Medicare Plan D.  Still not cheap.

My "HMO" doesn't cover my shrink's clinic, so I'm still self-pay there. So, in effect, I'm paying $100 a month and not getting any of my regular medical stuff covered. I'm going to go look over the options that I do have and use the crap out of them.

tl;dr version. My medical costs will not change regardless of what the congress critters do.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

My medical costs will not change regardless of what the congress critters do.

My condolences for the insurance/non-insurance suckage you find yourself in right now. At least it won't get worse.