• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

My cell phone is officially abandonware. Remember all of the ads about how Microsoft's Nokia Lumia 1020 was going to be so great, with a 43 megapixel camera? Well, that's about all it's good for now. Microsoft never updated it past Windows 8.1, and I've learned that they've now officially killed mainstream support for Windows 8.1 phones. Sigh.

Mrs. Prof has version 7 of the Samsung Galaxy phone (non-exploding type). I'm a smart-phone widower. I don't want a phone that'll push me that far. I just want something that will support all of the major apps that are out there nowadays. Such is not the case with my Win8.1 phone.

My apartment leasing office.  I sware the drop extra charges in to see if any one notices.  I just got off the phone with them over a $75.00 "outstanding balance", which was utter crap.  I've never been late or paid a partial payment, even when I was told I could.   One phone call and 2 people later, and it was removed, but still I should not have to expect that sort of crap on a monthly bill.  :angry: 

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

That feeling you get when you just fully understand how badly you just tanked your development software.

Three hours and about 5 gigs of reinstall later, life is good.

50 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Why is it that you get more gassy after taking a gas pill?

The problem was you apparently took the gas pill and not the anti-gas pill. ;)

Some gas pills are to suppress gas; some are to get the gas MOVING so it gets out of your system and stops causing discomfort. (Of course, once it's out of your system it can potentially cause a different sort of discomfort for several people).

16 hours ago, mlooney said:
22 hours ago, mlooney said:

That feeling you get when you just fully understand how badly you just tanked your development software.

Three hours and about 5 gigs of reinstall later, life is good.

Well the Eve client is acting weird, so there may be something else I need to deal with, but I think that is the keyboard.  Using the emergency spare keyboard to see.

I was on vacation and I put my laptop inside the safe but the little USB nib for the mouse was still in. Something cracked and part of the casing for the end fell off and some of the circuitry is exposed.

1 minute ago, JainaEgo said:

I was on vacation and I put my laptop inside the safe but the little USB nib for the mouse was still in. Something cracked and part of the casing for the end fell off and some of the circuitry is exposed.

The circuitry of the USB nib? I think those are universal and cheap, aren't they?

41 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

brushes with fame:

I was involved in the development...

25 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Cool stuff, but wrong thread ...

Wrong Thread?  Perhaps, but perhaps not...

Writing a post which actually requires thought is a bit of a job.

Discovering that I sent that post to the wrong thread is among the "Things That Are Just Annoying".

13 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Wrong Thread?  Perhaps, but perhaps not...

Writing a post which actually requires thought is a bit of a job.

Discovering that I sent that post to the wrong thread is among the "Things That Are Just Annoying".

True enough.  Deleted and reposted to the proper thread.   :)

So me and Mom finally got new box springs for our beds. Free under warranty. And mine breaks less than twelve hours later. All I did was sit down! This is standard use of beds! It should not break during standard use!

Maybe Macy's should get their box springs somewhere else. Somewhere that actually uses quality materials and sturdy construction.

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

The circuitry of the USB nib? I think those are universal and cheap, aren't they?

Hint: the U stands for "universal".

Non-Apple Phones in particular are EXTREMELY standardized; they are virtually all USB2.0, and their sockets are universally micro-B because that's the smallest. Any USB2.0 cable (or, let's get real with the labelling, any USB cable that isn't USB3.0) with the micro-B socket, that isn't from Barnes & Noble*, will do for charging - and if it isn't a power-only cable, it will also do for data.

* B&N noted that the Nook Color would need a 2-amp power supply, rather than the USB standard 1 amp, and decided it would be better to have a standard cable not charge the device at all than to have it charge the device very slowly. And the jerks made their non-standard cable VERY hard to tell from a standard one. I'm not aware of anyone else making that particular bad decision - even devices that need 2 amps to charge properly use standard cables - and B&N may or may not have since wised up.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

* B&N noted that the Nook Color would need a 2-amp power supply, rather than the USB standard 1 amp, and decided it would be better to have a standard cable not charge the device at all than to have it charge the device very slowly. And the jerks made their non-standard cable VERY hard to tell from a standard one. I'm not aware of anyone else making that particular bad decision - even devices that need 2 amps to charge properly use standard cables - and B&N may or may not have since wised up.

Um, no one else except Apple, who also have their own proprietary charging cables which, if plugged into less than 2.1 Amps, will say "Not charging" next to the battery icon.  At least, that was true for my original iPad 2, guess I haven't yet tried plugging in my current iPad Pro to lower power yet.  The original 30-pin looked an awful lot like my Nook's cable, now the Lightning cables look an awful lot like USB cables.

I got a ton done on Edge today, and I would still be at it OTHER THAN THIS FREAKING MIGRAINE.

It's sort of responding to medication, but only sort of.  Bleh.   I am less than gruntled right now.

34 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I got a ton done on Edge today, and I would still be at it OTHER THAN THIS FREAKING MIGRAINE.

It's sort of responding to medication, but only sort of.  Bleh.   I am less than gruntled right now.

As long as you remain turbed.  I'm told that can be a big help with migraines.

14 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Um, no one else except Apple, who also have their own proprietary charging cables which, if plugged into less than 2.1 Amps, will say "Not charging" next to the battery icon.  At least, that was true for my original iPad 2, guess I haven't yet tried plugging in my current iPad Pro to lower power yet.  The original 30-pin looked an awful lot like my Nook's cable, now the Lightning cables look an awful lot like USB cables.

But Apple's plugs and sockets are very obviously not USB. B&N (or their designer/manufacturer) went with connectors that look exactly like the USB micro-B connectors on other non-Apple tablets - but aren't.

Trying to set up an old Insteon webcam to track possible bed peeing by Loudmouth. It dates from the time of the KittenCam, so I couldn't remember the username/password. Pulled the Big Red Switch (i.e., used a straightened paperclip) and reset the thing to the factory settings.

I read through the instructions to set up the thing for a wireless connection. It mentioned entering the router password, but it didn't say how to get the thing to connect to the router for the password. Then, at the VERY FREAKING END OF THE INSTRUCTIONS, it says something to the effect of, "you may now remove your ethernet wire."

I DON'T HAVE A FREE ETHERNET CONNECTION WIRE YOU IDIOT AAAUUUGGGHHH

I've had enough problems with the Win10 Creators Update finally deciding to upgrade my music system today, and two important plugins thinking my system ID has changed so they won't run.

AAAUUUGGGHHH.

That's not me typing repeated letters, that's what it looks like from my end when I type under the influence of Lyrica.