• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

I just back out the last week worth of work, more or less, on Edge.  The path I was going down, until 2 weeks ago was mainly based on OSR games, with some modern RPG design stuff to make them not quite so Old School.   Then I got the idea of converting 5th Ed D&D to Traveller stats.  Was going along quite nicely, until I added in the spell list and part of the monsters.  Over 250 pages?  And no magic items or space craft yet.  Crap.  Back to OSR and smaller spell lists.

Grunt.

On 8/4/2017 at 2:44 PM, mlooney said:

They turned the water off in my apartment building "for a while".   Fixing a leak they say.

Found out that the leak was a hot water heater that was badly burned some how.   After seeing a few mythbusters water tank launches I'm glad all it did was leak.

Off-by-1 errors in what claims to be professional-quality software.

LibreOffice database macro programming - if you ask what column # in a resultset has a certain name, you get a response where the first column is #1. However to get that field by column #,  the first column is #0.

Also, "user" documentation that is written for the people who maintain complex programs like this, rather than the people who use it.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Off-by-1 errors in what claims to be professional-quality software.

LibreOffice database macro programming - if you ask what column # in a resultset has a certain name, you get a response where the first column is #1. However to get that field by column #,  the first column is #0.

Is this with the "fresh" or "still" distribution? Report it on bugzilla!

I am awake and functional, before dawn. Do I take my Adderall and start the day early, knowing that doing so will make me crash mid afternoon, or do I go back to bed for a few hours? Trending towards staying up.

14 hours ago, mlooney said:

I am awake and functional, before dawn. Do I take my Adderall and start the day early, knowing that doing so will make me crash mid afternoon, or do I go back to bed for a few hours? Trending towards staying up.

Try staying up without the Adderall, and let the results of that decide you?  Either way, take the Adderall by the usual time if not before.  Just a layman's speculation, mind you,

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Try staying up without the Adderall, and let the results of that decide you?  Either way, take the Adderall by the usual time if not before.  Just a layman's speculation, mind you,

Laycritterkeeper.

Seems that Ubuntu wants to load a new kernel a bit more often than I would like.  Full reboots of Godzilla is a right major pain in the butt.

Several times lately, I've told someone to have a nice/good day/night/weekend/etc, and they've responded with "Thanks!" or not responded directly at all, instead of saying, "You too!"

I'm partly annoyed with them for not reciprocating, and partly with myself for feeling cheated.

apt dist-upgrade tells me that I need to upgrade Firefox, Chrome AND

Well, I don't need to use this computer much more today.  Snarl, growl, snap, etc.

22 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well, I don't need to use this computer much more today.  Snarl, growl, snap, etc.

And Firefox's download is frozen.  Carp, frack and other words.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

"Fetched 149 MB in 1h 47min 14s (23.2 kB/s)"

That's what apt tells me. Given what I pay for Internet access that is freaking not freaking good.

Granted my new cell phone was the cheapest I could find, bought in a hurry just before going to Orlando with my sister.

But it's supposed to be a smart phone.  Android type.  It's not impressingme much.

The phone book won't list anything as anything but "Mobile" and won't save any changes to names.  I put a 64GB memory card in it, but it complains constantly that it's out of memory (came with something like 4GB system memory).  I tried downloading Pokemon Go, just to see what the fuss was about, and it can't ever get me logged in.

Time to go back to where I bought it and see if they can at least fix the memory problem, then see if the update it thinks it can't install fixes the problems....

If you call my landline right now, you'll get through. However, if someone calls while the line is busy, instead of my voice mail they'll get a high-pitched squeal followed by the three error tones and a, "We're sorry, all circuits are busy now. Please try your call again later," followed by a rapid busy signal. Bizarre. Happens when I check my voice mail, too.

41 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

If you call my landline right now, you'll get through. However, if someone calls while the line is busy, instead of my voice mail they'll get a high-pitched squeal followed by the three error tones and a, "We're sorry, all circuits are busy now. Please try your call again later," followed by a rapid busy signal. Bizarre. Happens when I check my voice mail, too.

The SS7 error server in your local trunk office is either down or miss configured.  20 years ago I would be able to tell you what exactly was wrong based on the tri-tone, but I have forgotten most of that now

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

"Fetched 149 MB in 1h 47min 14s (23.2 kB/s)"

That would have been impressive if it had been back in 1997. Back then I was overjoyed if I could get it to consistently download 3K/s. Today... not so much. Gah.

I missed last week's Game of Thrones episode, so I decided to bite the bullet and sign up for the mobile version of HBO.  They offer a one month free trial, after all, and there's only three weeks left including this one.

So, I tried to sign up.  Downloaded the App, gave them my info. and then it turns out they'll only accept payment through the Apple store.  I have deliberately not given the Apple Store any financial information, because I only download free apps.

Okay, what about Amazon Prime?  They claim you can subscribe to HBO through them.  Logged in to Prime's video app, and looked everywhere but could not find a way to subscribe.  Went to the Amazon web site, still no dice.

I even toyed with trying to log on to my boss's HBO via her cable subscription, since I have a few shrewd ideas what her password might be, but I haven't gotten that desperate yet.  (If she checks her email at work and forgets to log out, that may be more temptation than I can handle, though....)

Why do businesses make it so difficult to give them your money?

It wouldn't be quite so annoying if there were a way to catch up.  When I had a friend who threw GoT parties, she'd show the previous week's episode first, for anyone who wanted to rewatch or who'd missed it.  I know of a bar/club that's showing the episodes, so I could watch next week, except that there's no way to see this week's first.  Unless someone at work or at Saturday's Mensa meeting loans me their access in some way, I'm stuck.  (No cable at all, so I can't add HBO to it.)

Mrs. Prof is off spending around $139 on a new battery for our Honda Ridgeline. I'd prefer that she get a Honda battery, but there's no way the current one would last until Monday and she's got driving errands to do. She'd also probably have to spend considerably more than she is for the Autozone Duralast Gold she's getting anyway.

Battery failures always happen at the most inconvenient times.

5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Mrs. Prof is off spending around $139 on a new battery for our Honda Ridgeline. I'd prefer that she get a Honda battery, but there's no way the current one would last until Monday and she's got driving errands to do. She'd also probably have to spend considerably more than she is for the Autozone Duralast Gold she's getting anyway.

Battery failures always happen at the most inconvenient times.

This is why I would never use a battery-powered cordless mouse. :(