• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

17 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Do they have something like a little coffee table area where you can set up?

Sorta, it's a table and a couch, which is a bit low.   Beats no net at all, just a bit of a pain.

Mrs. Prof took most of the day off from her IRS job to work at the Garland Pet Adoption Center, helping (more like guiding) the assembly of new stainless steel kennels.

Using her words as close as I can use them, it was a cluster[redacted].

The moving crew did not move out all of the old kennels, leaving that job for her and the volunteers. The baseboards, which she had so carefully measured and pre-cut prior to the arrival of the new kennels, didn't match the new kennels' measurements at all. Some of the new kennels were already bolted together in 150-pound blocks which needed to be disassembled, but according to her about 50 of the screws holding them together were stripped.

She came home in massive pain and started looking up solutions for the stripped screws. I told her to get off of the computer, get an ice pack, and come sit down. Stubborn person that she is, she refused. I then asked her what time she was planning to go back up tomorrow. She said 3:30pm or 4:30pm. I immediately told her to go to bed and sleep on the problem she's got. Again, no.

See what I'm up against? ;)

I think the solution to stripped screws is to go buy new screws.  Or are they somehow stuck in place already screwed in?  Might need a bolt cutter and/or a serious complaint to the company the kennels were purchased from.  Perhaps accompanied by a disputed credit card charge if they can't provide satisfaction,

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I think the solution to stripped screws is to go buy new screws.  Or are they somehow stuck in place already screwed in?  Might need a bolt cutter and/or a serious complaint to the company the kennels were purchased from.  Perhaps accompanied by a disputed credit card charge if they can't provide satisfaction,

They're already bolted in. The kennels were donations, so there's no complaining. Mrs. Prof needs a way to unbolt them and a source for new bolts (not an easy deal—the big box home improvement stores don't have what she needs).

OS X doesn't have a swap partition  but uses a swap file.  It tosses a hissy fit if the primary or boot drive drops below 150% of your installed ram of free space.   When you have a good sized amount of ram this can cause issues when you really don't look like you are that low on drive space.   Guess what the  iMac did today?  I managed to move 20 some odd gigs off of the primary and on to the secondary drive, but I'm still not a happy camper about it. In doing so I did find my "Terminal Ballistics" files, which I sort of have been needing for a while.

My new duplex has a gas heater, that hasn't been run in a while.  I'm hoping that the "burning" smell will go away after a while.  I've check the heater and every thing seems OK, but there is a faint smell of stuff on fire.  No smoke or any thing, just a touch of a smell.

31 minutes ago, mlooney said:

My new duplex has a gas heater, that hasn't been run in a while.  I'm hoping that the "burning" smell will go away after a while.  I've check the heater and every thing seems OK, but there is a faint smell of stuff on fire.  No smoke or any thing, just a touch of a smell.

Hmph. At a guess, the darn thing has a layer of accumulated dust somewhere that doesn't actually burn but gets heated up enough to cause the 'burning' smell. It is possible that simply wiping it down carefully will help. If not, the smell will still go away eventually as the involved dust particles deteriorate enough to 'melt' or drift away on the air currents.

Other than that, how is the new duplex?

40 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Hmph. At a guess, the darn thing has a layer of accumulated dust somewhere that doesn't actually burn but gets heated up enough to cause the 'burning' smell. It is possible that simply wiping it down carefully will help. If not, the smell will still go away eventually as the involved dust particles deteriorate enough to 'melt' or drift away on the air currents.

Other than that, how is the new duplex?

It "burned off" after about an hour or so.  Really right after I posted, TBH

I like the new place, and there is lots of things I can walk to vs being out in the middle of suburbia with nothing of interest with in miles.   Later to day I am going to check out the library.  Plus there is is a game store "The Ogre's Lair" that is moving to a place like less than a 1/3 of a mile away.  Maybe closer.  I live with in 6 blocks of my brother and his family now, so if all else fails, I can drop by to see them if I need to.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

It "burned off" after about an hour or so.  Really right after I posted, TBH

I like the new place, and there is lots of things I can walk to vs being out in the middle of suburbia with nothing of interest with in miles.   Later to day I am going to check out the library.  Plus there is is a game store "The Ogre's Lair" that is moving to a place like less than a 1/3 of a mile away.  Maybe closer.  I live with in 6 blocks of my brother and his family now, so if all else fails, I can drop by to see them if I need to.

This sounds like quite the improvement. :) Do keep us posted about how things go.

My oven did that when I used it for the first time in mumble.  Also had forgotten that you can smell the difference between gas flame and other flames.  I cooked a couple of little pepperoni pizzas, after adding mushrooms to them.  The bottoms of the crusts burned a little, I may have to deviate from the printed directions next time.

8 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

My oven did that when I used it for the first time in mumble.  Also had forgotten that you can smell the difference between gas flame and other flames.  I cooked a couple of little pepperoni pizzas, after adding mushrooms to them.  The bottoms of the crusts burned a little, I may have to deviate from the printed directions next time.

Printed directions are the devil, especially when it comes to premade food from the freezer. I'd rather have a good cookbook that actually gives you an idea of where you need to be flexible or to watch carefully.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I'd rather have a good cookbook that actually gives you an idea of where you need to be flexible or to watch carefully.

I'm rather found of the "Joy of Cooking".  One of the things it has is "About <food items>", which give you general ideas on how to cook <item>, not necessary a recipe as such.  Has a lot of recipes as well, of course.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I'm rather found of the "Joy of Cooking".  On of the things it has is "About <food items>", which give you general ideas on how to cook <item>, not necessary a recipe as such.  Has a lot of recipes as well, of course.

It is a splendid work. I can highly recommend it. Cautionary note: look carefully at any and all measurements it use if you do not use standard American measuring cups and/or methods in the country you live in. I have gotten into a lot of trouble assuming that a 'cupful' means the same thing as the Danish equivalent does, for example.

(Actually, this applies to all recipes translated from one language to another. 'A package of yeast' in Danish means 50 grammes or 1 3/4 ounces of yeast. In German it means 20 grammes, or just 3/4 ounces of yeast. Either way you are in trouble when you set the dough to rise, though arguably Danes following German recipes are in bigger trouble than the other way around.)

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

So how much is a cup in your recipes?

Precisely a cupful. Unfortunately, near as I can tell the standard cup size in the US and what I was taught was a cupful are two different things. At a rough guess, the cup I used was at least twice as big as what makes a cupful in American measurements. At least.

Given that I was measuring out sugar at the time, this did not work out very well.

(I dunno. Maybe an American cup is an 'A' cup and a Danish cup is a 'D' cup? That could explain a few things.)

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Precisely a cupful. Unfortunately, near as I can tell the standard cup size in the US and what I was taught was a cupful are two different things. At a rough guess, the cup I used was at least twice as big as what makes a cupful in American measurements. At least.

Given that I was measuring out sugar at the time, this did not work out very well.

(I dunno. Maybe an American cup is an 'A' cup and a Danish cup is a 'D' cup? That could explain a few things.)

mlooney@godzilla:~$ units
You have: 1 cup
You want: ml
    / 0.0042267528

You have: 1 cup
You want: litre
    / 4.2267528

So a US cup is roughly 1/4 of a litre.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

http://www.wolframalpha.com

"convert 1 US cup to liters" --> 0.2366 L

"convert 1 Danish cup to liters" --> gets a bit confused but lets me choose from "US legal cup" (0.2366 L) or 3 other definitions of "cup":
* "metric" --> 0.25 L
* "Canadian" --> 0.2273 L
* "UK" --> 0.284 L

I would note that a great many recipes for sweet things call for what I consider to be rather too much sugar. When you eat a chocolate chip cookie and can't taste the dough or the chocolate because the sugar overpowers them, something's wrong. One lady whose baking I prefer, says she routinely reduces the sugar by a quarter.

"convert 1 cup of sugar to grams" also presents an array of options that might be informative.

(I love that site for all sorts of weird queries. And they don't have to be math-oriented.)

5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I would note that a great many recipes for sweet things call for what I consider to be rather too much sugar.

I absolutely agree. I suppose that means that I might 'only' have been using somewhere between a third too much to half again too much sugar. I just remember it as tasting like a 'sugar nuke' (my brother's words, he tried it in spite of my warnings) and coming to the conclusion that the 'cupful' measure I had been using was way too big.

(I should probably stress, I was using the measure for a cupful I was taught, which might well have been a bit bigger than the standardised Danish measurement. To be precise, it was my grandmother's family tradition using the same cups she had used.)

I don't know how annoyed I am just yet, but going to a Mental Health clinic and being told that they messed up on my insurance so I need to come back later today is just a tad annoying.  Only a tad because they are picking me up and returning me from the 2nd trip for free, so I only had to take one taxi ride.

But that taxi ride was WAY VERY MUCH annoying.  Overheated van with an old dude chewing minty tobacco driving.  Almost made we want to barf.

So, in a way, I'm glad I got moved around a bit.   More in an a few hours based on how the real appointment goes.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

I don't know how annoyed I am just yet, but going to a Mental Health clinic and being told that they messed up on my insurance so I need to come back later today is just a tad annoying.  Only a tad because they are picking me up and returning me from the 2nd trip for free, so I only had to take one taxi ride.

But that taxi ride was WAY VERY MUCH annoying.  Overheated van with an old dude chewing minty tobacco driving.  Almost made we want to barf.

So, in a way, I'm glad I got moved around a bit.   More in an a few hours based on how the real appointment goes.

The forum needs a "bleh" or "urrgh" emoji down in the bottom right corner pull-out for things like this. Yuck.

40 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:
3 hours ago, mlooney said:

The forum needs a "bleh" or "urrgh" emoji down in the bottom right corner pull-out for things like this. Yuck.

The mental health people's ride was a lot nicer.  They seem nice as well, but this was just part one of my 2 part "start of treatment".  I see the person that can write the scripts on the 28th and I'll see if I get to keep my whole list of drugs or not.  The social worker I was dealing with today got a bit "twitchy" when I started talking about needing Adderall to be functional most days.  We will see what we will see.   But worse case, I make a trip back to Tulsa to get the script, which is a major pain, but doable.

Today''s low grade migraine.  Sorta responding to drugs, but not really as well as I want.   Off to drink some tea, which often helps with this sort of migraine.