• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

I have a cold and a migraine, which is making me want to cancel the shrink today, but I really need to see her, so yeah, annoying.   

26 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I have a cold and a migraine, which is making me want to cancel the shrink today, but I really need to see her, so yeah, annoying.   

Break out the emergency Afrin spray for the cold. Works here. Usually. Can't help with the migraine, though, sorry.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Yeesh. Killer combination. I'm reminded of the time where my wife was dealing with the aftereffects of a root canal which also set off a migraine. She was not happy. I put her to bed and spent the rest of the day quietly tending to her needs and seeing to it that she was hydrated and fed.

As an aside, she made the remark that twelve year old Glenlivet may not make the pain go away, but it does make it so you don't mind it as much.

7 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

As an aside, she made the remark that twelve year old Glenlivet may not make the pain go away, but it does make it so you don't mind it as much.

Bad idea before going to see a shrink.  My normal drugs and tea seems to be working well enough.

9 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Hot jasmine tea breaks it up pretty well, I'm learning. Just FYI.

If I have any more hot tea my bladder is going to explode in a pink and tan mist.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

I have returned from the shrink, no major changes.  I'm also going to bed now, as I feel like crap.

I'm feeling much better.  I got to the con Thursday mid-day, and spent the rest of the day alternating between going to one thing, and taking a nap.  If I didn't stop for a nap soon enough, I could feel the fever starting to creep back in, and my temp would be normal again after a nap, so it seemed to work fine.  One of the "things" was dinner, so I kept myself well-fueled, and I got to bed at a very reasonable hour.

Felt much better Friday, woke up without any struggle, and was able to keep going most of the day, with the help of pseudoephedrine and one dose of ibuprofen, without any of that you're-starting-to-push-it feeling.  I did take a nice nap twice.  I went to the dance in the evening, I wasn't going to miss Dublin O'Shea, but I only danced to about four songs.  There was only one room party, where I ate some cheese and crackers with a bit of meat, and drank diet ginger ale.  My body has been very good about letting me know when I might be starting to push things too far, and I've been listening.  Went to bed at around midnight, despite the band still playing..

...and then the fire alarm went off, and I dutifully got dressed and trooped downstairs and into the parking lot.  I did take the time to get properly dressed and grab my belt with pouches, which has my money, cards, etc. in it, and also had my room key so there was an excuse.  I spent part of the time outside checking out the personalized license plates, like MRS ZOMB and STMPUNK and 359 WLF and TARDIZ.  My suggestion that they bring Dublin O'Shea around front and continue the dance in the parking lot was met with cheers but the ballroom is on the other side of the building, so it would have been quite a hike for them.  The fire trucks came, and we were let back into the building by a bit after one.  Honestly, this is TeslaCon 8, and this is the first time there's been a fire alarm, so I guess we're not doing too badly, as cons go.

I feel pretty good this morning, only a normal level of tiredness for the circumstances, and have now dawdled long enough on reading comics and writing this that I can justify skipping the first panels and take my time getting a shower and getting dressed and fed.  Still a little sniffly and the occasional cough, but I have plenty of psudoephedrine and tissues.  Looking forward to the rest of the con!

Oh, almost forgot to complain about the annoying reason why I didn't arrive at TeslaCon until Thursday instead of Wednesday.  My car, which had been rear-ended, was in the shop for just over a week.  They said it might be two weeks initially, when I dropped it off they said one, then they found more damage and said it would be ready the 31st, no, make that the 1st.  They wouldn't say what time on the 1st (Weds).  So, I spend Weds running errands in the rental and doing all the preparations, doing some laundry, and getting everything assembled and ready to go.

And then waiting.  And calling the shop for an ETA.  And then deciding a nap would be very nice.  They finally called back and said that the car was mostly reassembled, but UHaul had sent the wrong tow-hitch and they wouldn't be able to get the right one until tomorrow.  So I explained I had to be in Madison today and couldn't they give me my car now, and I bring it back to them after the tow hitch came in?  (And couldn't they have told me that was the delay, and given me that option, sooner?)  On  hold, then agreement.  They'd call back when it was ready.  So, I took my nap, and was woken after about an hour by the call saying my car was ready.

Drove the rental to the shop, turned it in, got my car back, drove it home.  Parked in the driveway, trunk towards the house and garage, and loaded everything up.  This is an immersion con, meaning everyone is in costume the whole weekend, so there was a lot more stuff than I'd normally need for five nights away.  Luggage Tetris.  Got everything to fit, without piling high enough to block the windows (this is my eighth time, I guess I'm getting the hang of it), and got in the driver's seat to be on my way.

click click click click click

No, no, that's supposed to be vrooom!  Try again!

click click click click click

I called the shop.  The collision department was closed, and the regular shop area was about ten minutes from closing.  Guy on the phone  said it sounded like my battery was the problem and I'd need a jump.  No, they couldn't come do it, it was closing time.  Maybe if I called the collision guys in the morning?  Great, so even if I can get my car started, it might not work right and I might end up with the same problem at the other end...but I really wanted to get there tonight!  Well, let's see if we can at least confirm if that's what the problem actually is.

I tried two different neighbors, the "car guy" one didn't answer the door, but the new neighbor on the end did, and he had jumper cables and was happy to be able to help.  He had to leave the cables attached for a few minutes before the jump worked, which he said meant the battery was really low.  It also looked old, with corroded terminals.  (And why didn't this get mentioned when I took my car in for its last multiple-of-10,000-miles checkup??)  Eventually the car started, and I let it run for a good 20 minutes to charge, shut it off, successfully turned it back on, and then let it run another 20 minutes to improve my chances of it starting in the morning.

Yes, I'd decided discretion was the better part of valor.  I called the hotel to let them know I wouldn't make it that night, but would be coming in the morning (hopefully), and they rather nicely changed my reservation without any mention of charging me for the lost night I'd be missing.  Yay, Marriott Madison West!

Went to bed by about 10pm, early for me, and slept until 8am, when the shop would be open.  Got up, got dressed, etc., brought the stuff I'd brought in back out to the car, and glory be, it started up!  Drove to the Collision Center, and asked them about whether they'd had any trouble with the battery, and if that was why my dome light and fan had been turned off when I got my car back.  He said that was their standard practice, but that the battery might have drained while it was sitting in the shop for a week.  Checked the battery, agreed it was in sorry shape, and offered to replace it with a new one right there so I could be on my way.  Quoted what my research the night before said was a good price, and didn't even charge any labor for it.  Yay, Palatine Toyota!

So overall, annoying, but not a disaster.  I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't get more help moving my luggage from car to room, and thus needed the first of many naps, and the radio presets being lost was annoying, but overall, if bad things have to happen, at least they happened in relatively benign ways.  ;-)

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Annoying?

Cheap imitation leather.

Do not get furniture covered in imitation leather.  In one to five years, you and your house will be covered in imitation leather particles.

Big talk from the Pharaoh who had whole pyramids covered in marble and their tops plated with gold. And where's that marble and gold now, pray tell?

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Big talk from the Pharaoh who had whole pyramids covered in marble and their tops plated with gold. And where's that marble and gold now, pray tell?

I thought it was limestone that was used to cover the pyramids, rather than marble.

Big Blue Marble

One of the corporate ads (ITT is full of friendly people, not a heartless conglomerate) on weekend mornings for kids to appease parent-teacher groups that were available for the local TV stations back in the 70s.

It's 53 degrees.  I walked 3 blocks and back to drop off a library book.    I returned, ate a bowl of peas and am now sweating like a sweating thing.  Inside thermostat says it's 70 degrees plus or minus 2.  Not spicy peas either, just steamed frozen peas. 

Bleh.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:57 AM, Scotty said:

snowmobiles aren't allowed on roads in Ontario

Snowmobiles are useful for some agricultural purposes.  They have largely replaced the dog sled and horse drawn sleigh for recreational travel in the snow, if only because you don't need to care for dogs and horses.  In severe blizzards that overwhelm a municipality's capacity for snow removal, they are invaluable auxiliary vehicles for emergency services.

But all too often, the human pilot of a snowmobile is a just a jerk who likes spraying snow and showing how fast he can go while the rest of us are spinning our tires.

The same mentality is often exhibited by Jet-Ski operators.  Except that I have seen police pull over and ticket reckless Jet-Ski operators.