• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

Then I find out that their SSO server is dead with a return to service date of "around the 19th", which means I can't watch them.   So, if it's still dead come the end of the month, well, I'm cancelling the TV side of the service.   I expect this to be a major hassle.

And the SSO sever isn't dead, it throws a 500 server error if you don't have access to what ever it is you are trying to get to.  Everything works just fine now, for Cox Cable values of fine.

OK, now it's obvious that Cox cable is just being an ass about what OS you have to run to get "watchtv.cox.com" to work. Fails on Linux. Works on OS X, so far, that would be normal. But it freaking works on ChromeOS. Come on! That's not really an OS it's just enough to get Chrome the browser to work. Gah. And the android app is still as unstable as they get. Looks like I'm going to be watching on the iMac most of the time. I am less than gruntled about this.

It seems that the external hard drive on the iMac has gone south. Thankfully everything of importance on it is backed up to several cloud sites. Yet another reason for being less than fully gruntled right now.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

It seems that the external hard drive on the iMac has gone south. Thankfully everything of importance on it is backed up to several cloud sites. Yet another reason for being less than fully gruntled right now.

Man. Sometimes the world seems bound and determined to drive you crazy. >.<

There is no official "Google Drive" client for Linux.   There are a couple of not free software options, but for various reasons, mainly being broke at this exact moment,  I'm not installing them.  Plus the whole "not free software" thing doesn't jive with Linux in general, but that's trivial.  There is, however a command line tool that is free and open software, grive2.  It's not a real client, what it does is upload/download on command, not automatically,  based on a large flat file database it keeps on the local machine.   It is the slowest sync tool I have ever used.   I am less than gruntled about this.

I'm on one of the free credit monitoring plans from Equifax because my credit was breached in a mass breaching earlier this year. Well, last night, I got an alert on one of my accounts (I think - neither one of us can find a charge for this amount) with the following warning message:

AFFECTED BY NATURAL OR DECLARED DISASTER

I spent 30 minutes on hold trying to find out what what happened this morning. No one picked up.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I wonder how much a natural or declared disaster costs since one was credited to your account.

I don't know if it was a credit or a debit. It could have been in Bitcoins, for all I know. To make matters worse, I'm also on another "free" credit monitoring program through TransUnion due to another data breach, and I got a warning e-mail from it about something dated the day before ( Dec. 23). I can't check it because their online stuff only goes through October. At least they had the decency to put "Our system is closed for the holiday" on their support answering line.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's the same thing Equifax is reporting.

Found out what it is. Man, their records departments are so slow! It was something related to Hurricane Harvey and the fact that I was in an area that was declared a disaster area (the whole state of Texas). The dollar amount was my account balance at the time of the report.

Rotten Frontier ...

My FiOS service has been screwed up for weeks. Occasionally I'll get a download speed on a file of 7.0 MB/sec, but more often it's in the 40KB/sec range. I'm paying for 50/50, and I'm not getting it.

I don't know how many hours I've spent on the phone now, but none of them have done me any good. I'm on my second tech visit to my house. He said Advanced Tech Support were rebuilding the profile to my line or something like that, then gave me his phone number and left. I called him an hour ago and got voicemail. To make matters worse, he left me with no phone landline—just a cell phone that I never use.

I have no POTS, and I must scream.

They just came out and changed out my power meter.  It's a real pain in the butt to shut down all my boxes with little notice.  At least the IP Address didn't change, which has been know to happen when all the not laptops get turned off then back on in random orders.  Or to be more accurate,  Godzilla, my Linux box semi-server didn't change, and that's the one I care about.

Here's an example of pure male chauvinism in action. Mrs. Prof wants a rear-view camera for her 2014 Subaru Outback. We find one online and then find a general installer in her work neighborhood. I give her the info. She calls on the day she goes into the office and gets a "Johnny." He does a lot of "um" and "uh huh" during the conversation, generally sounding dismissive. Anyway, he comes back with a price lower than what we have plus installation quote, but wants $50 up front before he'll order it.

She comes home and explains the situation to me. I'm skeptical. I give "Johnny" a call the next day. Using my best confident baritone voice, I talk to him about the same deal. Turns out he didn't give her a quote for the same camera. I tell him I need the brand name and model number of what he's offering. He says he'll call back in 30 minutes, which he does (a similar promise to Mrs. Prof resulted in a 3 hour wait with no callback). I get the info and tell him I'll call back in 30 minutes or so. I actually call back sooner than that with the results of my research: his camera is designed for Mrs. Prof's car, it might work a little bit better than the other one, and his dealership is an authorized installer. I tell him I'm willing to go through with the deal and ask what's next. He says it'll be about 4 days before the camera arrives, at which point he'll call me and we can set up a time for installation. End of call.

Note the biggest difference: he didn't ask me for any money up front. The woman's not trustworthy, but the guy is.

5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Note the biggest difference: he didn't ask me for any money up front. The woman's not trustworthy, but the guy is.

Or maybe the woman is more likely to just pay up because she doesn't know any better, or is too meek to object.  >:-(

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Or maybe the woman is more likely to just pay up because she doesn't know any better, or is too meek to object.  >:-(

It's a crappy situation, to be sure, but the auto mod business is male-dominated and male-oriented. The only reasons we're going to this place is that it's close to Mrs. Prof's office and it's highly rated.

Great, and here I'm thinking about getting a remote starter installed in my car.  (Which will probably lead to an end of this cold spell and a few years of record warm winters, until the car finally dies, but I'll take that deal!)

Well, the dealer seemed to do right by me when I got rear-ended.  Not the dealer I bought the car from, a different dealer that turns out to be closer and have nice long hours as well as being an official State Farm Collision Center or whatever they called it.  I'll probably get it done there, assuming I finally get around to doing it.

1. New software versions that move things for no good reason.

(Specifics: Nook software when I started using it put downloaded books in sdcard/Nook/Content. I developed all my backup and file-syncing procedures accordingly. Current version puts them in sdcard/Android/data/bn.ereader/files/Download.)

2. Overly rigid software.

(Specifics: Nook software offers you the choice of putting its downloaded files and other stuff on the internal, emulated sdcard that is now standard in Android devices, or on a real sdcard if one is present. That's the total extent of your control over where they go, though. The rest of the path is completely fixed.)

3. Primitive file systems.

(Specifics: Android won't let the sdcard be formatted as anything other than FAT. If it were a standard Linux file system format, like every *other* storage partition on a standard Android device, I could simply make the new location a symlink pointing at the old one, and everything would just work. Same if it were NTFS or whatever Apple's currently using. But not FAT. And there's no workaround unless the device is rooted, with both Google and most manufacturers/distributors doing what they can to make rooting a device difficult or impossible.)

4. Programs that manage files but have no provision for bulk management.

(Specifics: Bookari, which is a much better program for reading and managing ebooks than Nook, and not only can be told where books belong but can be given multiple locations - but can't download from Barnes & Noble - notices that files are missing from where they were located when cataloged, and allows you to manually go find them. One book at a time, and it isn't sufficient to point at the new folder you have to go to the specific file.)

High fiber diets doing only half of what they are supposes to do. Make my ass bleed level size and hardness. Plus the toilet is now jammed up.   I suspect a call to the plumber is going to need to be made in the morning.

I am less than happy about this

8 hours ago, mlooney said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Had a similar problem Wednesday, but weirder. The water would go down, but the output was stuck. I had to get a couple of coffee stirrer sticks and lift up the big lump blocking solid matter. It worked, in a rather gross fashion.