• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Spending 14 minutes and 50 seconds on the line with Humana to find out what, if any, vision coverage I have. 

I have coverage, just not in this town.  Grrrrr...

Looks like I'm getting the cheap Walmart exam and over the internet glasses.

Not my happy nor gruntled face.

And things have gone south with our 150/150 upgrade, all for the want of a plastic box. The installer said the system no longer comes with a Uninterruptible Power Supply. Instead, one can  call customer service and request a "battery backup" (literally—a plastic box that you populate with batteries, screw into the wall, and plug into a slot on the "Power Adapter Unit"), which is usually provided at no cost.

Attempt one at calling was a miserable failure. I used Frontier's "call me back" feature and set up a time for them to call me. An hour past that time, as I was in the bathroom, they called. I just missed picking up the call.

Attempt two is still ongoing. I got a general customer service person who had absolutely no idea of what I was talking about. He did have the guts to try and sell me an antivirus package while someone had *him* on hold. I asked to speak to a manager. I didn't get one. Instead, I got transferred to technical support. After explaining my problem to them, I was told I was in the wrong department and needed to be transferred to "FiOS Technical Support." I was promised that all of my problems would be solved there. I'm still on hold.

Two hours of "call me back" time, an hour and seven minutes of hold time, and I'm nowhere close to being done. I want a large caliber piece of field artillery and I want it *now*.

I finally got in touch with a FiOS tech support person who was familiar with my situation. However, I was told that since the changes made to my account haven't closed out yet, she couldn't do anything for me today. Instead, she would give me a call no later than Wednesday.

My lack of belief was obvious through my voice.

Daylight Saving Time.

It isn't saving anything.

Standard Time is now significantly less than half the year.

Time to drop the pretense that the apparent time as determined by the sun has anything to do with our clock dominated lives.

What are now the Eastern (GMT - 5) and Central (GMT - 6) Time Zones in the US should become a single and year-round  GMT/UTC - 4 zone.  Mountain and Pacific (GMT - 7 & - 8) should become GMT/UTC - 6.

Also, Time Zones should follow state lines.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

This freaking micro kidney stone.  Not passing and it's making my life less than optimal. 

I would really like to do something other than lay flat on my back and take pain pills today...

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

This freaking micro kidney stone.  Not passing and it's making my life less than optimal. 

On about 1.5 mm in size passed.  Not sure if I have another or not, I still sorta hurt, but it's not like before.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Are they making any progress toward finding a drug that will prevent kidney stones from forming?

I have no clue.

With the dogs and cats, they have prescription diets that do a pretty good job preventing struvite and calcium oxalate stones from forming.  Given how similar the nutritional needs of dogs and humans are, I wonder if they could turn the kibble and canned foods into some sort of "energy bar" and "shake" combo?

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

With the dogs and cats, they have prescription diets that do a pretty good job preventing struvite and calcium oxalate stones from forming.  Given how similar the nutritional needs of dogs and humans are, I wonder if they could turn the kibble and canned foods into some sort of "energy bar" and "shake" combo?

Why not just give us "Bachelor Chow" from Futurama?

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why not just give us "Bachelor Chow" from Futurama?

The Entomology department told the story of how Purina once held a contest, "If you can raise it, we can feed it!" which resulted in the development of Purina Cockroach Chow.

(My sister always loved the idea of a version of the Purina Cat Chow commercials with the cat doing the chow-chow-chow dance, but with a cow....)

I am at least a little surprised no company has yet applied the sort of know-how and research that's gone into creating all these pet foods, into creating a product for humans.  The closest I've heard is Soylent, but that seems to be coming at it from stage zero, as opposed to building on decades of knowledge.  My guess would be palatability is the problem -- people love food too much, and it's a rare person who is willing to give up eating everything else, like for those medically supervised liquid diets, even for a short time let alone for years.  It would have to be something that was at least yummy enough to enjoy it!

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

Either my pain drugs are working way better than I have right for them to or my last stone passed last time I went.

I have a provisional happy.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the stone(s) passed.  More or less pain free even after a longish hike to my brother's house and back.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the stone(s) passed.  More or less pain free even after a longish hike to my brother's house and back.

...and there was much rejoicing.

Today's highlight: replacing the water heater. Followed by pizza, but that's not this thread.

Toys Я Us is closing down.

The only way the brand will survive at this point is with entirely new ownership.

As a child in a small town, Toys Я Us was a magical concept that was always beyond the horizon.

When I was first old enough to get to the store, it still seemed pretty special.  I was particularly impressed with the wall that had almost every board game in print arranged alphabetically.

But as time went on, the place began to suffer like every other discount retailer.

I've heard more than a few people complain that Amazon killed Toys Я Us.  But Amazon did attempt to work with the World's Biggest Toy Store.  Toys Я Us could not keep up with the demands of Amazon customers.

What will become of Geoffrey the Giraffe?