• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Repeated studies have shown that making people in a vehicle safer, results in the driver of that vehicle driving in a more hazardous manner. (On the average, of course - not necessarily true of every individual.)

People tout the safety of driving big SUVs...

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

It's true as long as you are bigger and heavier than anyone else on the road.

You would not believe how safe I feel in my Leopard II. Oh sure, I hear this occasional crunchy noise as I drive but I don't think it is the engine, I check it coming back home and it seems fine.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

56 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

It's true as long as you are bigger and heavier than anyone else on the road.

You would not believe how safe I feel in my Leopard II. Oh sure, I hear this occasional crunchy noise as I drive but I don't think it is the engine, I check it coming back home and it seems fine.

Tanks for the endorsement of my comment.

On 9/20/2018 at 5:45 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Humor of the highest caliber.

Nah, the Hummor is a different great big vehicle!

I suppose by the time you were in any shape to get a license plate number, she was long gone....you could still report it to the police, just as you would a car causing an accident for any vehicle -- you have just as much right to use the road and not be cut off as anyone else!  They just wouldn't have much to go on, but at least it would keep the accident statistics accurate, which can eventually help get more bike lanes put in.

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I suppose by the time you were in any shape to get a license plate number, she was long gone....you could still report it to the police, just as you would a car causing an accident for any vehicle -- you have just as much right to use the road and not be cut off as anyone else!  They just wouldn't have much to go on, but at least it would keep the accident statistics accurate, which can eventually help get more bike lanes put in.

I didn't even get her name, much less license number.

On 9/24/2018 at 3:44 AM, CritterKeeper said:

Nah, the Hummor is a different great big vehicle!

I don't know how it is down in the US but in Canada as far as I know, bikes (either pedal or electric) are considered vehicles and must be treated as such, meaning you can't ride a bike on the sidewalk, though you must walk it across at crosswalks. Out on the road, bikes have every right to be on the asphalt as a car and when passing a cyclist, the driver must give at least 3 feet of space between them. A lot of municipalities are even adding cycling lanes to streets and roadways where possible.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't know how it is down in the US

In the US?  Cyclists and pedestrians have a lot of regulations, rights and protections...

on the books.

But in practice, lots of motorists ignore these legal technicalities.  Just like they ignore the cyclists and pedestrians on the road.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

In the US?  Cyclists and pedestrians have a lot of regulations, rights and protections...

on the books.

But in practice, lots of motorists ignore these legal technicalities.  Just like they ignore the cyclists and pedestrians on the road.

In Copenhagen we have massive amounts of bicyclists. Many streets have bicycle paths and practically all the main streets have them. And a lot of the cyclists act as if the laws don't apply to them, cutting across anyone in their way to save maybe two or three seconds of travel time.

I have ridden a bicycle all my life and I am very much aware of the laws. To be exact, Newton's Laws. And of the fact that I am mounted on a fragile metal framework only kept upright by momentum and my sense of balance. The average car outmasses me by a factor of at least a dozen and the driver is securely fastened to a seat inside a metal box that is specifically designed to protect them in the case of impact. I can do basic math and thus it has not escaped my notice that if I collide with that average car, it is not the driver of the car that will end up second best.

Downtown Chicago has been putting in a whole bunch of new bike lanes, including a number that are separated from the automobiles by space and/or barriers.  There are also a number of long roads into the rest of the city that have a bike lane, although those usually have parked cars closest to the curb, then the bike lane, and then the moving traffic, meaning parked cars can and often do open their doors without checking their rear view mirror first and end up swinging their door directly into the path of a cyclist.  Some of the newer bike lanes are wide enough to stay out of the way of most doors.

There's also the Divvy bike-share program, where you can check out a bike from one of a number of stations around Chicago, ride it for up to half an hour, and then return it to a station near your destination.  They have a few vans whose job is to collect bikes from a station that's got too many bikes and not enough places to park new ones, and move them to a station that's running out of bikes.  My health insurance plan offered a discounted rate for a membership, so I got an access key a couple of years ago and have used the bikes to do stuff like park at a location that's free to park, and then ride the bike into an area that costs big bucks to park.  I don't go into the city often enough to really take advantage of it, but I can see how great it would be for someone who lives and works there!

I've seen video of places, mostly Scandinavian or nearby to them, where there are many more bikes on the streets than there are cars, and the walls of buildings have a solid line of parked bikes along them with a small gap for doorways.  People had canvas trailers behind their bikes for carrying their shopping and such.  Here, you'll occasionally see such trailers used to carry small children or pets, but I don't think people would trust for their stuff to still be there if they parked their bike and trailer and left it for any length of time.

My own bike has a nice big basket in front of the handlebars, something I could put my backpack full of books into when biking to classes without having to unpack it into the small side baskets I see these days to either side of the back wheel, or having to wear the backpack while biking, which is hot and hard on the back. I haven't seen big front baskets for sale anywhere for ages now, no idea why they fell out of fashion....

I need to remember that the people in a you tube video can't hear me. 

But damn it, they were attacking a near dead half orc mage when there was an intellect devourer right next to them. Not once, but twice.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

I need to remember that the people in a you tube video can't hear me. 

But damn it, they were attacking a near dead half orc mage when there was an intellect devourer right next to them. Not once, but twice.

Adventurer groups can do astoundingly stupid things at times.

There was a legendary tale in my community about how a large party of adventurers fought a massively powerful dragon in its lair, lost half their number and then finally managed to paralyse it. Then they started to argue with each other about the loot and did so for so long that the dragon had time to recover from the paralysis. And when it did, it killed the rest of them.

On 9/27/2018 at 10:53 PM, The Old Hack said:

Adventurer groups can do astoundingly stupid things at times.

There was a legendary tale in my community about how a large party of adventurers fought a massively powerful dragon in its lair, lost half their number and then finally managed to paralyse it. Then they started to argue with each other about the loot and did so for so long that the dragon had time to recover from the paralysis. And when it did, it killed the rest of them.

In the Heavy Gear game I was in, during vehicle combat it, we never split targets unless we were certain 1 player could take out 1 target on their own (though in some cases 1 player could take out more than one if the enemy happened to bunch together enough for an AOE weapon) most of our weapons though had an ROF(Rate of Fire) value of at least 2 meaning you could either use the full ROF to get a +1 to your attack on a single target or attack 3 targets in a turn with walking fire. The nice thing about that is each attack adds a -1 to the target's dodge roll so we get 3 players attack the same 3 targets with ROF+2 weapons the third attack will be dodged at -2 which is much better than each player attacking their own target with only +1 to their attack.

The other nice thing about vehicle combat is the damage mechanics where each successful attack is either a light of heavy damage based on the weapons damage modifier multiplied by the difference between the attack and dodge rolls (for example a attack of 8 with a weapon that does x10 damage and a dodge of 6 is a difference of 2 which would mean the target takes 20 damage)against the target's armor (target's armor is 10, damage under that doesn't get through, over that but under say 15 is light damage, over 15 is heavy), and the type of damage is rolled against a table using RNG to determine if it's structural (crew, armor) weapons(including ammo storage), movement (powertrain, wheels/actuators, thrust) or AUX (sensors, coms, stealth), a lot of time is we can take out an enemy's movement system, we can usually finish it off with one person though if the movement hit takes out the powertrain that pretty much shuts the vehicle down completely, take out the weapons and they can still spot for the enemy but otherwise we can focus fire on something else, any AUX stuff can usually render the target blind which is great when attacking autonomous or remote controlled units because they can't shoot what they can't see, hitting structured most likely is a crew death which is great if the vehicle is piloted because it usually means we have a mostly intact vehicle to take back for either spare parts of to use in the next mission after a bit of cleanup. crew hit on remote controlled units are not so good and had been the bane of our group many times.

I pulled a muscle in the lower right quadrant of my back yesterday. This is going to make riding the bike to the shrink much more of a pain than it should be.

I wish this headache would make up it's mind and either hit me with a ton of bricks or just go away.  Hanging around on the edge of notice is getting on my nerves.  I'm about to say [redacted] you and take stong drugs anyway.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

I wish this headache would make up it's mind and either hit me with a ton of bricks or just go away.  Hanging around on the edge of notice is getting on my nerves.  I'm about to say [redacted] you and take stong drugs anyway.

And they are taking too long to kick in.   FML

I've broken bones before.  I've been hit by lightning and attacked by a rabid dog.

Right now I would almost trade one of those for getting rid of my latest issue, arthritis in the right knee and hip.  I am not gruntled about this at all.

Important note. Safety note even. If you are heating a towel in a microwave make damn sure it rotates, other wise you get a burned spot and there is a good chance the fire alarm will go off. No damage, other than the towel, but yeah, make sure they rotate.

I've been down with bad knees for the last few days. I now have a new thing that bothers me. I'm sweating like a sweating thing. I'm not gruntled by this turn of events.

I have 2 days to go before I get a knee injection and maybe access to real drugs for my knee and hip.  I have like 3 positions I can get into that are comfortable at all.  This is really getting on my nerves.

My home just got overflown by a low altitude flight of CH-47D. What the [redacted] are those doing here?  Not a snake eater, no fuel probe.  And they are annoying because they are loud at low altitude.  At least two, might have been 4.