• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Once again working around 0300 Eastern when I look up and the waning crescent moon, partially obstructed by clouds, again looks too much like the disembodied grin of the Cheshire Cat.

No more doubt.  Ceiling Cat is LAUGHING at me.

I can only think that this was written to fail.

A referendumb on the Florida ballot called for prohibiting vaping indoors AND a ban on offshore drilling.

Honestly, I would be glad to see those annoying e-cigs prohibited.

But as for off shore drilling?  There should MUST be tougher controls, and tougher enforcement of existing controls.  And there needs to be more development in fuel conservation and alternative / renewable energy sources.  But an outright ban on offshore drilling in state waters is not going to solve those problems.  And a sympathetic court (State or Federal) is almost certain to give big petroleum a way around the state ban anyway.

There are people who would permit e-cigs and ban drilling.

And there are people who would permit both.

But I find it difficult to believe that the number of voters in Florida opposed to both, or who are so strongly opposed to one or the other that they would be willing to ban both, could form a majority.  Not even in a mid-term election.

I would suggest a referendum to prohibit combining unrelated issues as a single vote on future ballot referenda.  But they would probably combine that with a proposed ban on buttercream frosting which would force me to vote against it.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I can only think that this was written to fail.

A referendumb on the Florida ballot called for prohibiting vaping indoors AND a ban on offshore drilling.

Honestly, I would be glad to see those annoying e-cigs prohibited.

But as for off shore drilling?  There should MUST be tougher controls, and tougher enforcement of existing controls.  And there needs to be more development in fuel conservation and alternative / renewable energy sources.  But an outright ban on offshore drilling in state waters is not going to solve those problems.  And a sympathetic court (State or Federal) is almost certain to give big petroleum a way around the state ban anyway.

There are people who would permit e-cigs and ban drilling.

And there are people who would permit both.

But I find it difficult to believe that the number of voters in Florida opposed to both, or who are so strongly opposed to one or the other that they would be willing to ban both, could form a majority.  Not even in a mid-term election.

I would suggest a referendum to prohibit combining unrelated issues as a single vote on future ballot referenda.  But they would probably combine that with a proposed ban on buttercream frosting which would force me to vote against it.

Sounds like a tactic to prevent a majority vote banning drilling. Through in something that would make people think "but I gotta give this up in order to make something happen?"

When the gyro on your phone is too sensitive. Have it in portrait and tilt it two degrees, and it goes to landscape.

When the gyro on your phone is not sensitive enough. Have it in landscape and tilt it fully vertical, it stays that way until you shake it or something.

Both of these really make watching YouTube videos or reading comments on YouTube videos difficult sometimes.

Also, when the headphone jack on your phone won't keep the headphones in unless you actively hold them there. And the slightest twitch pops it loose, either lowering the volume or pausing the video entirely.

Dear Facebook, Amazon, Youtube and Google news.

Yes, I bought an electric bike and yes I spent some time looking for info on various brands of ebikes.   This does not mean I need to have ebike forced into my feed and/or news daily.

Thanks!

Someone applied for life insurance and left my phone number for the contact number.  I've gotten 5 calls and one text about it so far.  I am really less than gruntled by this.

This car outside my window that's had it's alarm going off for the past half hour or so, either the owner has a kid that won't stop playing with the keys and pushing the panic button, or the owner is being an idiot.....well if the own keeps letting their kid get their hands on the keys, they're an idiot anyway....

On 11/6/2018 at 6:39 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A majority of US states have provisions in their state constitutions doing that - for all legislation. So not only can they not combine issues on ballot referenda, they cannot combine issues in acts of the state legislature. Also, typically, the subject of the legislation must be stated in the title of the bill.

It can be taken oddly though. The Washington state supreme court ruled that cutting three taxes and limiting the legislature's ability to raise taxes was more than one issue. The people who sponsored that initiative (which had passed by a wide margin) then sponsored another initiative that just cut two taxes, which (after it also passed by a wide margin) was ruled to be two separate issues and not adequately described as "an initiative to cut taxes". So then they sponsored a third initiative which changed one word of state law...

On a mildly related note I am reminded of the town council of Gould, Arkansas which in 2011 banned all organisations and assemblies of three or more people that did not have the approval of the council. When the city attorney warned them that there might be a problem with this law, they attempted to fire him because they could certainly not see that there was anything at all wrong with their law.

It appears that the council of Gould did not realize that their law would mean that they would have to approve all schools, churches, and places of business without exception. If they extended this definition to include family units, then they were really courting lawsuits. How long did it take for them to drop this ban?

22 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

On a mildly related note I am reminded of the town council of Gould, Arkansas which in 2011 banned all organisations and assemblies of three or more people that did not have the approval of the council. When the city attorney warned them that there might be a problem with this law, they attempted to fire him because they could certainly not see that there was anything at all wrong with their law.

Alternatively, the Council of Goa'uld would just enslave everyone.

19 hours ago, ijuin said:

It appears that the council of Gould did not realize that their law would mean that they would have to approve all schools, churches, and places of business without exception. If they extended this definition to include family units, then they were really courting lawsuits. How long did it take for them to drop this ban?

They also did not realise that their law was in obvious and clear violation of the First Amendment, which protects the right to freely assemble.

I have long suspected certain politicians pushing through legislation that they know will not survive a veto (or court challenge or is somehow unenforceable) simply to say that they have done all they can and that the system is rigged against them.  Then they claim that if you reelect them, they will put that legislation through again, and this time it will stick.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:55 AM, The Old Hack said:

Someone read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and decided that Dolores Umbridge would be a perfect role model.

The ice storm, and I use that term lightly, was enough to make them not deliver mail today, resulting in a book of mine not being delivered today.  Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

The ice storm, and I use that term lightly, was enough to make them not deliver mail today

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds

Anybody else remember when that used to mean something?

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds

Look, I told your descendants that it was not a good idea to throw bearers of ill news to the crocodiles and that all they would accomplish was to filter the most dedicated postmen out, but would they listen? Nooooooo.

14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Anybody remember when postal workers actually got decent pay and benefits?

Yesterday, I set my glasses down in a room where I normally do not remove my glasses.

I forgot to put them back on before I drove to work. (No, I do not need my glasses to drive according to my Florida Driver License)

Didn't realize I had forgotten them until it was too late to turn around.

Had to wear the spares I keep at work that dig into my nose.

And then when I got home, without my glasses, it took me far too long to find my glasses.

Kids, try to hold on to your memory and your vision.  And if you can't manage both, at least hold on to one.