• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I shall once again be inflicting myself upon the honest, decent, and innocent people of the EGS community

But what about the rest of us?

If your software doesn't really support full justification, please, by all things lawful good and right in the universe, use ragged right.

Hint.  Microsoft Word doesn't really support full justification.   Please don't use it for final layout if you are going to use justification.  

One ad per ad break is bad enough.

But TWO? Come on, YouTube.

And before you say "Adblock", this is on mobile too. And before you say "Mobile Adblock"...

...grumble grumble minimum ten seconds before I can even start the video grumble grumble interrupting ten seconds of double ads mid-sentence grumble grumble...

17 hours ago, Zorua said:

One ad per ad break is bad enough.

But TWO? Come on, YouTube.

And before you say "Adblock", this is on mobile too. And before you say "Mobile Adblock"...

...grumble grumble minimum ten seconds before I can even start the video grumble grumble interrupting ten seconds of double ads mid-sentence grumble grumble...

There was a post on reddit a while back, where it showed a video that was something like an hour and a half long, and roughly 80 ad breaks throughout.

13 - 0?

First, I am excited that yesterday, Team USA won their opening game against Thailand in the FIFA Women's World Cup.

13 - 0?

I know that the FIFA tournament rules seem to encourage running up scores when possible in the early round because Goal Differential is an important tie-breaker statistic.

13 - 0?

Or is that a Thai-breaker statistic?

13 - 0?

I am afraid that this will paint the Americans as the Big Red, White, and Blue Meanies for the Tournament.

13 - 0?

I just found out that I'm going to have Monthly video walk through of my house.  This does not make me a happy or gruntled person at [redacted] all.

12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am afraid that this will paint the Americans as the Big Red, White, and Blue Meanies for the Tournament.

Apparently the Thai defense was a sea of holes.

On 6/12/2019 at 0:00 PM, mlooney said:

I just found out that I'm going to have Monthly video walk through of my house.  This does not make me a happy or gruntled person at [redacted] all.

Not sure I get this one.  If I may ask, who is taking videos of your home, who is seeing them, and why?

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Not sure I get this one.  If I may ask, who is taking videos of your home, who is seeing them, and why?

The rental agents are taking the video and I assume the owner of the house is seeing them.  As to why, he wants to keep up on the condition of  the house.

You're reading a website that has ads (say, Not Always Right). Suddenly, an ad way up at the top of the page changes, and the page scrolls way up to where the ad is, taking you far away from where you were actually reading.

You're reading a long scrolly web page, such as an online forum (not this one) that puts many posts on a page. You get to the bottom of the page and finish reading. What do you want to do next? "Scroll to the top of the page" is probably not on the list of things you're likely to want to do, but that's what you have to do to get to the links to the rest of the site.

Why doesn't it occur to more forum software designers to also put those links at the bottom?

(This site does it right.)

A/C died Friday after a storm that dumped nearly an inch and a half of rain on us in less than 30 minutes flooded the basement and damaged the unit. Friday night was muggy as heck, last night was better though had to shut the windows down a fair bit cus it started raining again.

Someone should be coming over Tuesday to hopefully fix it, so I still gotta get through tonight and Monday.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
On 7/5/2019 at 9:39 AM, mlooney said:

"I'm an aging ..."

Beats the alternative.

Very much true.

13 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Beats the usual alternative, anyway....if there's a chance to Take A Third Option, I'm all for it!

Warning: TVTropes linkbecause I'm evil!

Third (and beyond) options, hmm?

You could be a cryogenically frozen corpsesicle, and hope for medical advances to revive you (in the loosest sense of "hope", since you won't be aware ...) Tends to not end well in fiction, but who knows?

Being able to be uploaded on to new hardware is a hypothetical goal just beyond the horizon of our present wherewithal. Not sure if you'd still be you, or if that even has meaning. Even now, are you still you a decade or two later? I know I have some very different views than I did in the 1990s.

Then there's the rumored afterlives or sequential reincarnations. I guess that's technically not an alternative, but it kind of feels like one in context.

Then there's the vague sense in which you continue through your contribution to the species consensus, the meme space. Granted, few of us will write the next Gettysburg Address, but we all contribute something. I've managed to warp several children through my parenting, and here, at least, we all post to this forum. And the great news is, you won't be bothered by how lame it is when it becomes relevant.

Actually, these third options make growing older look pretty good, what a drag though it may be.

Why does the air conditioning always fail in the summer when it's needed? It never fails in the other seasons. Only summer. We moved to a new house and it still fails in summer.

15 hours ago, Zorua said:

Why does the air conditioning always fail in the summer when it's needed? It never fails in the other seasons. Only summer. We moved to a new house and it still fails in summer.

Any machine is most likely to fail when it's under the most strain (i.e. working the hardest).

I just dropped a cup of tea into my primary keyboard. Then I couldn't find my back up keyboard for several minutes. It's going to be one of those weeks I see.

6 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I just dropped a cup of tea into my primary keyboard. Then I couldn't find my back up keyboard for several minutes. It's going to be one of those weeks I see.

Primary keyboard dried out and seems to be working. I'm keeping the secondary keyboard out until I know this one is OK.